Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-18-2017, 08:38 PM   #1
blewbyyou

Drives: Dusk SE
Wipers

Car is a three year old DD it needs new blades. As simple as it may seem to replace them i always seem to struggle with changing these things out on all my vehicles. Do i go to the dealer to get OEM or is ther something out there that is good quality. Can someone give me some direction on how to change them and what to buy.
blewbyyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 08:45 PM   #2
BAD DAB

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black & Silver
The dealer blades are priced closed to what you would pay at an auto parts store. NAPA has blades that look very close to what the factory blades look like.

STAINLESS WORKS HEADERS-TUNED BY JANNETTY RACING-C.A.I. INTAKE-TAYLOR 409 WIRES-SOLO AXLE BACK EXHAUST-ELITE CATCH CAN
BAD DAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 09:13 PM   #3
shibbs
Captain Gingerbeard

Drives: 2012 IOM RS/SS 6MT
I recommend PIAA AeroVogue - looks exactly like OEM, but the silicone wipers are far superior to OEM or even aftermarket rubber. Mine are two years old and wipe absolutely perfectly. I have them on my truck for the last 3 years, and the same old wiper blade is still perfect - even parking outside every day.

http://www.piaa.com/aerovogue
Pedders Coilovers, BMR trailing arms and toe-links, Prothane solid poly subframe bushings, JDP Motorsports rear upper control arm bushings, Texas Speed long-tube headers with 2" primaries, modified fully 3" Magnaflow competition catback. CAI cold-air intake. DBA rotors, Hawk pads.

Quote:
'Hellcat' sounds like some kinda 15 year old furry with liek "I'm a blue fox with wings and magical kawaii powers" kind of sh*t.
shibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 07:28 AM   #4
Z2880

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS ls3
I use Bosch icon s I buy them on Amazon for my camaro and the rest of my fleet
Z2880 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 11:11 AM   #5
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
I like the sculpted look of the OEM blades. As I recall, the dealer's price was reasonable.

To change one, just lift the little door on the blade covering the joint to the arm, and slide the blade out. This latch is easier to open than most.

If my description is unclear, there's an illustration in the OM.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 11:27 AM   #6
CamaroFred

Drives: Miss Con Ception
Quote:
Originally Posted by shibbs View Post
I recommend PIAA AeroVogue - looks exactly like OEM, but the silicone wipers are far superior to OEM or even aftermarket rubber. Mine are two years old and wipe absolutely perfectly. I have them on my truck for the last 3 years, and the same old wiper blade is still perfect - even parking outside every day.

http://www.piaa.com/aerovogue
3 years is not a long term test. Waste of money.

My OEM lasted 5 years. I went to Advanced Auto Parts. I told them I wanted the winter blades. They had a guy who does this shit everyday install my new wipers for no cost. I watched and he never once came close to touching my Camaro except for the blades.

It saved me a bunch of nickles from the swear jar.

If they last three years I will go back again.
Old 08-19-2017, 11:30 AM   #7
OlePhu
Oldskool

Drives: 2013 Camaro LS
FL sun flat tears up wiper blades. I've tried several different after-market blades in the past and get 6 months out of them, if I'm lucky...GM's have lasted a little longer I don't know if silicone would last much longer but I may try them one time to see.

The GM ones cost about the same as most after-market and they fit in the wiper arm better. There are a few places online that you can get them from so might be cheaper than dealer. Blade Asm-Wsw RIGHT GM 23367644 Blade Asm-Wsw LEFT GM 23365874. You can also just buy the inserts to save a little more money.
Old 08-19-2017, 11:36 AM   #8
Baldman
EMERALD COAST CAMAROS

Drives: None
Go down to Autozone or Advanced Auto Parts and buy a pair. They put them for free if you ask them to.
Old 08-19-2017, 12:10 PM   #9
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
My factory blades are still fine but they haven't seen a lot of rain in the last 8 years.
Old 08-19-2017, 12:20 PM   #10
RJT Impala
Stovebolt BluFlame 6

Drives: '12 2LT/RS, IBM; '20 Traverse Prem
My personal experience over the past 20 years, and 8 different GM vehicles, is that the OEM wipers last between 2-3 years; aftermarket from AutoZone, WalMart, you-name-it-whether Bosch, Rain-X, etc last approximately 6 months before they begin to chatter and streak. They cost virtually the same per set; therefore, the actual out-of-pocket expense for OEM is approximately one-quarter of the after market. The decision is yours, but sharing my experience.
RJT Impala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 12:33 PM   #11
CamaroFred

Drives: Miss Con Ception
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJT Impala View Post
My personal experience over the past 20 years, and 8 different GM vehicles, is that the OEM wipers last between 2-3 years; aftermarket from AutoZone, WalMart, you-name-it-whether Bosch, Rain-X, etc last approximately 6 months before they begin to chatter and streak. They cost virtually the same per set; therefore, the actual out-of-pocket expense for OEM is approximately one-quarter of the after market. The decision is yours, but sharing my experience.
Well, if there is little turnover at Wal-Mart the blades are probably three years old before you pick them from the hook. Sitting in a package, warping because they ae hung by a hook in an unnatural setting.
More than likely your dealer stores them properly by laying them flat on a shelf.

Last edited by CamaroFred; 08-19-2017 at 12:49 PM.
CamaroFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 01:08 PM   #12
Welker2
Ret AF, cancer survivor

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS & 2006 Corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z2880 View Post
I use Bosch icon s I buy them on Amazon for my camaro and the rest of my fleet
Same here, but I often get them at AutoZone cheaper; I price match them with Amazon or wherever I can find them the cheapest and then use my military discount on top of that
Old 08-19-2017, 01:17 PM   #13
2010reddevil

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS Victory Red 6M
I can tell you from experience, if you can find a brand called Silblade, I highly recommend them. South Texas sun and heat is no joke, every other brand I've tried have lasted was at most, a year. I had a set of Silblades last for 4yrs and were still on the car when I traded it. Hard to find them, but I highly recommend them hands down. If they ever start to chatter, just give them a good wipe when you wash your car and they are good as new again.

2010 2SS 6M Victory Red/Black (old ride)
CAI intake, Speed Engineering 1 7/8" LT's, X4 base tune, Flowmaster Outlaw axle-back.

12.6 @ 115 SAR as of 9/19/15
Gone but never forgotten.
2010reddevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 02:55 PM   #14
lafountain

Drives: 2011 Synergy Green 2SS/RS
I have always gotten Trico blades from Advance Auto. For my '95 it was mainly due to the fact that those were the only ones I could find in a store that would fit a 4th Gen. When I got my 2011, I ended up sticking with Trico and went with the Trico Instinct Blades. So far, they have been quite good.

I bought a car, turned out to be an alien robot. Who knew?
lafountain is offline   Reply With Quote