Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 03-16-2016, 09:21 PM   #1
Turbo_J89

Drives: 2015 BVM Camaro 1LE (2SS/RS)
E-brake problem car rolled out of the driveway

I parked my 1LE Camaro on my driveway which is only at a very slight incline and pulled the e-brake. I pull it a few clicks from the top of its range of motion as a habit religiously. I went inside and 15 min later a neighbor came by to inform me that my car was blocking the street with the nose of the car in the grass at the house across the street. I was very surprised by this because i had my previous 2010 Camaro for 3 years and never had any E-brake issues. The E-brake in my Camaro was nearly at the bottom of it's range of motion and was only barely engaged. I'm guessing the car had just enough momentum to get it to the curb across the street. The front splitter was the only thing to take any damage.

A week later, I parked my car and pulled the E-brake to the usual position. I sat in the car for 5-10 minutes on my phone and the E-brake slipped down to where i saw it previously.

I plan to take the car in to get this corrected. Has anyone reading this experienced this issue or have information on what is causing this? Do you think GM will assume any liability for the damage to my front splitter? It put a decent sized dent and a couple scrapes on it. I'm sure the cost of bodywork to repair the splitter isn't high and seeing as the front splitter doesn't match the factory paint on the car it should be very easy to make it look brand new.
Turbo_J89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 10:06 PM   #2
69L48Z27

Drives: 2015 Z/28; 1969 Camaro SS
I have always been in the habit of leaving manual cars in gear too.

If GM has no recall on it I don't think they will pay a claim.
69L48Z27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 08:45 AM   #3
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69L48Z27 View Post
I have always been in the habit of leaving manual cars in gear too.

If GM has no recall on it I don't think they will pay a claim.
Exactly. You should never park your car in neutral.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 09:33 AM   #4
MR.Sarge

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS 1LE
Happened to my 1LE before I took delivery. Dealer gave it to tint guy to tint and he set e-brake only and it didnt hold and backed into a junction box. I wasnt happy at all, but they rectified the problem and made it all good. they had to retighten the ebrake, for some reason it came SUPER loose from factory for me. I never park anywhere with just e-brake, always in gear.
Old 03-17-2016, 12:11 PM   #5
djpelosi

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
I had the e-brake cable completely snap on me one day. That being said, you should NEVER park your car without leaving it in gear.
Bo White Ported Throttle Body
Hurst Short Throw Shifter
Best Time: 12.43 @ 114, 1.99 60' on stock wheels and stock tires
Build Thread
djpelosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 12:57 PM   #6
Turbo_J89

Hey guys, thanks for chiming in. I've had about 10 stick shift cars so I'm well aware of parking in gear as a secondary. I stopped about 5 years ago after a string of threads about how that could affect the transmission over years of parking in gear. For the sake of keeping this moving in a productive direction, does anyone know specifically what causes the e-brake to slip like this? Defective part or needs adjustment? Informing myself before I go to the dealer.
Old 03-17-2016, 01:25 PM   #7
splashlog48

Drives: 2011 Green SS M6
Parking in gear is NOT a secondary
splashlog48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 04:56 PM   #8
thiggin2

Drives: 05/07 Chevy's
The owners manual states to put the shifter in reverse and apply the e-brake.
thiggin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 06:41 PM   #9
Turbo_J89

Alrights guy, let's not be trolls. I obviously understand it is "recommended" to have two methods of keeping the car stationary. Let's not adopt the climate of a Honda Civic forum.

Please refrain from gawking like a seagull about parking in gear. I need to know what exactly causes the e-brake to slip and what is done to correct it.

Last edited by Turbo_J89; 03-17-2016 at 07:18 PM.
Old 03-17-2016, 08:23 PM   #10
Night trained

Drives: 2015 camaro 2ss 1LE
Since when is being honest considered being a troll?
To answer the question no, Gm will not cover the splitter, secondly the parking brake shoes hold like drum brakes, if you have been using only parking brake to hold car the shoes might need adjusting. No cable adjuster.
Also transmission gear wear will not occur when car is stationary.
Night trained is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 10:22 PM   #11
Turbo_J89

All it takes is one person to say you should park in gear. When i discovered my e-brake wasn't fully reliable i began setting both. I always have set both when on a steep incline.

My splitter already wasn't perfect from the previous owner of my car. The damage to it was minor. It potentially could have been much worse if there was a vehicle across the street. I purchased my 1LE a little over a month ago. I'm not sure if the previous owner always set the e-brake but i doubt it's loose. There seems to be good tension in the cable. It's not easy to pull it to the top notch. The issue is the e-brake has let go a couple times and slipped down to about 4 notches from the bottom.
Old 03-18-2016, 07:23 AM   #12
rebelyell22

Drives: 2011 SIM 2SS/RS LS3
It's auto adjusting. You have to pull the rotors to adjust it manually.
Old 03-18-2016, 08:14 AM   #13
arkentect

Drives: 2010 Camaro SGM 1LT M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo_J89 View Post
All it takes is one person to say you should park in gear. When i discovered my e-brake wasn't fully reliable i began setting both. I always have set both when on a steep incline.

My splitter already wasn't perfect from the previous owner of my car. The damage to it was minor. It potentially could have been much worse if there was a vehicle across the street. I purchased my 1LE a little over a month ago. I'm not sure if the previous owner always set the e-brake but i doubt it's loose. There seems to be good tension in the cable. It's not easy to pull it to the top notch. The issue is the e-brake has let go a couple times and slipped down to about 4 notches from the bottom.
+1 all depends on what incline im on too. Pull the e-brake and if the nose is facing down an incline I put it in reverse, if the rear is facing down the incline I put it in 1st
arkentect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 09:42 AM   #14
Turbo_J89

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelyell22 View Post
It's auto adjusting. You have to pull the rotors to adjust it manually.
Does the e-brake auto adjust to a certain number of clicks between disengaged and fully engaged? I did a quick test of my e-brake yesterday and it does need some adjustment. It engages nearly at the end of it's travel.

I have already planned on swapping the rotors and brakes. I'm going to swap the rotors and see if that helps. If not, I'm going to pull the passenger rear rotor and manually adjust the wheel about 5 clicks.

Not going to GM on this one. Just as easy to manually adjust this on my own because i'm doing the brakes anyways.