Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 03-22-2018, 09:52 PM   #29
Need4Camaro

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS & '99 Camaro Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by MackSteelPrivateEye View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deputy Dog
Whats faster? the 99 z/28 or the v6?

99 Z28 will still take my 1LT V6. When my MAF fowled out my Z28 took a nose dive in power and I couldnt figure out what was wrong for a long time till I took the airbox off and found this:

That was my SLP LID, cracked and fowled my MAF...While it was misfiring my V6 probably could have beaten it pretty decently.. now that its running healthy again the Z28 will probably destroy it. The 1LT V6 however can surprise me and at times I do question as to whether it can run with my LS1.. I would vouch to say it PROBABLY can, but I don't think it can beat it.
----------------------------------------------------

I can understand that. I once owned a 5th Gen V6 Man trans. camaro that I would try and compare to the old muscle cars of yesteryear. For instance my old 383 Ply RoadRunner with just a 3 speed auto trans. would beat my 5th gen coming off the line if I could get the traction. My 5th gen had minor mods like axleback, cai, ported intake which made it run much better than stock. In fact I was not happy at all with the stock performance and if the mods did not improve it I would have gotten rid of it. After the mods the v6 would I am sure beat the Roadrunner which was all stock except for headers. Though the RR Tq would just pull better in 1st gear off the line. The V6 pulled good off the line too because it was a stick and you could up the RPMs before letting off the clutch. If it were an auto it would have no chance. But back to my point. The RR's would lose in the top end for the simple reason it was just 3 spd auto trans. You have all that tq spread out over just 3 speeds. If the RR had a modern 6 speed more efficient trans with sticky tires it would easliy be a low 13sec car stock. It was only rated at 335hp but something like 420lb ft. Tq.
Yeah, the V6's these days are nothing to sneeze at. They're quite amazing machines right out the box. I had a 5th Gen V6 as well, performance..well..I could definitely feel areas (especially in the lower powerband) where it was weak, and it always felt heavy. It was a nice commuter car but I don't really miss it. If I modded it, it probably could have been a bit quicker but the 6th Gen V6 was a night and day difference.. my LS1 had severely obvious advantages over the 5th Gen V6 although on paper the power levels seemed similar. The 6th Gen V6 however does bring me to question land and I kind of want to run them side by side to see what would happen..but the powerband of my LS1 just has no forgiveness where as my 1LT V6 has to rev before it makes power..when it does though it definitely moves.

The main downfall with both the 5th Gen and 6th Gen V6 is out the box they are pretty maxed out. You can do boltons, intake and exhaust and throttle body but its not going to be a big game changer. I don't know what a cam would do but I know the heads are also pretty maxed out. The only way to make alot more power out of them is Forced Induction.
Need4Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 10:46 AM   #30
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
I'm currently inquiring on this one. I love the interior, in fact I probably wouldn't regret trading the Z28 in on it.

That and it's an auto, I don't mind the 5k miles..

A LOT of that is through Atlanta traffic and I broke my left knee a few years ago so I'm not sure how I'm going to like clutching
I have been following your problems...
This car with the red hot and kalihari I think is quite fabulous! Sounds like the auto would be better for you in Atlanta. the nature of the left knee injury might also be a factor. if the joint continues to give you problems and you get fluid drained or get steroid injections, I would say, yes, avoid the clutch.
If you like the price on this car I would jump on it. I don't think you are going to find too many red hots with the Kalahari. Both are less popular color choices.
Oh, and I like that it's CPO.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 02:55 PM   #31
Need4Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrlz View Post
I have been following your problems...
This car with the red hot and kalihari I think is quite fabulous! Sounds like the auto would be better for you in Atlanta. the nature of the left knee injury might also be a factor. if the joint continues to give you problems and you get fluid drained or get steroid injections, I would say, yes, avoid the clutch.
If you like the price on this car I would jump on it. I don't think you are going to find too many red hots with the Kalahari. Both are less popular color choices.
Oh, and I like that it's CPO.
Yeah I'm just waiting on feedback from them. The only problem they are having is they are unsure of my 99 as they haven't seen it in person which is understandable (they asked me to send photos of both cars and Vin ect) .

I'm at a local dealer right now. They have a Convertible 1SS for 27k they are willing to throw leather seats in but I'm not really exactly excited over it as I don't like convertibles. I'm ganna look at it anyway for giggles though just to get a second thought on it but I'm really after the 2SS
Old 03-23-2018, 03:50 PM   #32
Need4Camaro

Well, the one in Austin isn't ganna work. They want to give me $4,000 less than KBB for it putting me at $14,500 and I've had way better appraisals than that. However my local dealer on the other hand may be willing to transfer the car here and give me KBB for my car. That may be considerable.
Old 03-23-2018, 04:00 PM   #33
L99BEN

Drives: 2023 BMW M4 Competition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kise View Post
my exact thoughts.

you will owe more until about 30% of term left on the loan. I bought my 2ss fully loaded new for 40 in cash which saved tons on interest but when I went to look at the zl1 1le four months later they offered me 27k with 3k miles on it. it was better to just keep it for the depreciation it had.
getting a longer term may be better for your situation/pockets but in the end you will spend around 1/3 of the cars value just in interest and be half way through the loan and still owe 10k more than the car is worth.
they are damn fun cars and expensive
That's nuts! Trade worth varies big time between dealers/location. I got offered $30K for my 16' 2SS with 12k miles on it just 2 weeks ago (was considering trading for a hellcat). They said they may do 31K once they see it in person. I bought mine "newsed" with 1100 miles for $34K a year ago.

Past:
2022 Tesla S Plaid
2020 Shelby GT500 sold
2019 Hellcat Redeye-traded for new GT500
2019 ZL1 A10 - sold (meh)
2019 Tesla M3P
2016 Hellcat Challenger - A8 sold but never forgotten
2016 Camaro 2SS M6
2014 Mustang GT A6
2012 Mustang GT M6 "brembo" 3.73/FBO
2012 Camaro SS L99 (Wife's)
- slow
L99BEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 12:48 AM   #34
Need4Camaro

Welp. Main problem I'm running into now is they don't want to give me KBB value for my 1LT and I can't accept anything less than 1k under KBB. ( They're wanting to give 14 and 15k when KBB says it's 18.5k) that will put me way too top heavy even for my 99 Z28 to eat.

Just wondering should I "expect" KBB for my 1LT?

Technically I can still get "approved" but my payments will be so high I can't justify trading two cars in for a loan exceeding $600 monthly payments.
Old 03-25-2018, 03:41 AM   #35
Deputy Dog
Banned

Drives: 2017 Super Sport Cam.
Quote:
Yeah, the V6's these days are nothing to sneeze at. They're quite amazing machines right out the box. I had a 5th Gen V6 as well, performance..well..I could definitely feel areas (especially in the lower powerband) where it was weak, and it always felt heavy. It was a nice commuter car but I don't really miss it. If I modded it, it probably could have been a bit quicker but the 6th Gen V6 was a night and day difference.. my LS1 had severely obvious advantages over the 5th Gen V6 although on paper the power levels seemed similar. The 6th Gen V6 however does bring me to question land and I kind of want to run them side by side to see what would happen..but the powerband of my LS1 just has no forgiveness where as my 1LT V6 has to rev before it makes power..when it does though it definitely moves.

The main downfall with both the 5th Gen and 6th Gen V6 is out the box they are pretty maxed out. You can do boltons, intake and exhaust and throttle body but its not going to be a big game changer. I don't know what a cam would do but I know the heads are also pretty maxed out. The only way to make alot more power out of them is Forced Induction.
Yep..forced air is about all that left to do to make more power. Also the gas mileage between the v6 and v8 is not that big a difference, but the stock power is. Makes more sense to just get the v8 if you want more than just transportation. My SS will stay stock except I will just do a drop in K&N filter. Otherwise I'm happy with the off the showroom floor performance because I never really find myself saying I need more power. If I were going to race it at a strip where #s counted I would consider some bolt ons.
Deputy Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 09:30 AM   #36
13BlackCamaroSS

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
It's a bit of a dilemma as i'm sure you can get kbb or at least close to it from the right dealer but the price of their car maybe be a little higher priced. Also the weather getting better isn't gonna help you out any. Don't do a deal your not happy with and if it's a 2SS your wanting, make sure that's what you get.

2016 2SS, NPP, Adrenaline Red Leather and Pads, 6sp, Sunroof, Black Bowties, Upgraded Wheels, 15% Tint, Kooks Headers, MBRP Exhaust, 1LE Wheels, Badging, Ported Throttle Body, Procharged, Snow Performance Stage 2 Meth Kit

Coming Soon: Custom Cam, E85, Ported Heads
13BlackCamaroSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 07:20 PM   #37
Need4Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13BlackCamaroSS View Post
It's a bit of a dilemma as i'm sure you can get kbb or at least close to it from the right dealer but the price of their car maybe be a little higher priced. Also the weather getting better isn't gonna help you out any. Don't do a deal your not happy with and if it's a 2SS your wanting, make sure that's what you get.
Yeah, they tried to undersell me for a 1SS at the last dealer I went to but I'm pretty firm and solid that even if I have to wait, 2SS is what I want. They had a 1SS Convertible for like $37k (which isn't bad given its a vert) but I don't really like the 6th Gen Convertibles plus it had no options. They then tried to put me in a 1SS and say they will give me leather seats (but that means no HUD or dual climate control or proximity / lane change assistance and possibly no heated seats.) of which I replied the only way I would consider that is if I don't have to sell my 99 Z28.. of which they didnt go for... I mean 5 grand down + my 99 Z28 is quite a bit (around 7k ball park give or take depending on what they give me for my Z28.) on top of which their own rebates...

So I dunno. HALF of me is considering just paying off my 1LT if Im not going to get KBB for it since I'm already halfway through the loan and just buying a 17 or 18 model SS sometime in 2019 without trading anything in.
Old 03-28-2018, 11:06 PM   #38
Need4Camaro

Well, it's done guys.

I sold the 99 Z28 and traded the 1LT and am currently driving a Silver Ice Metalic Blue 2SS fully loaded.

Admittedly I came close to shedding a few tears while taking all the stuff out my 99 Z28. The 99 needs major body work because the shop who originally molded my ground effects didn't use Fiberglass, they used Bondo and the stuff is cracking and peeling off horribly and eventually will detach completely from the car. 2 of 3 body shops who were willing to do the job told me flat out to sell it as the amount of work necessary to fix it wouldn't be worth it for the car and its value. The third shop outfront told me they would need at minimum $12,000

The 1LT has intermittent heat issues which I pray I dont have to experience again in the 2SS.

It's a 2017 2SS with 344 miles on the odometer (sold as brand new) and got it from a Chevy dealer who came down off the MSRP by 10 grand so I walked out the door with a fully loaded 2SS for 36k. Payments are the same as my 1LT V6 because I put a larger down payment in it as well.

I will miss the Z28 but I am happy I no longer will need to continue to invest in it. Every other week it was costing money and whenever I did something to it, it required me to redo or pay for it twice. Now I have peace of mind and a quick car.

Probably won't be modding this one anytime soon. I want to move forward with my life now.

Pics are coming soon, I've been at the dealer all day and my phone is dead.

Oh... The 2SS cheered me up on my way back home in track mode.
Old 03-29-2018, 05:38 PM   #39
13BlackCamaroSS

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Well, it's done guys.

I sold the 99 Z28 and traded the 1LT and am currently driving a Silver Ice Metalic Blue 2SS fully loaded.

Admittedly I came close to shedding a few tears while taking all the stuff out my 99 Z28. The 99 needs major body work because the shop who originally molded my ground effects didn't use Fiberglass, they used Bondo and the stuff is cracking and peeling off horribly and eventually will detach completely from the car. 2 of 3 body shops who were willing to do the job told me flat out to sell it as the amount of work necessary to fix it wouldn't be worth it for the car and its value. The third shop outfront told me they would need at minimum $12,000

The 1LT has intermittent heat issues which I pray I dont have to experience again in the 2SS.

It's a 2017 2SS with 344 miles on the odometer (sold as brand new) and got it from a Chevy dealer who came down off the MSRP by 10 grand so I walked out the door with a fully loaded 2SS for 36k. Payments are the same as my 1LT V6 because I put a larger down payment in it as well.

I will miss the Z28 but I am happy I no longer will need to continue to invest in it. Every other week it was costing money and whenever I did something to it, it required me to redo or pay for it twice. Now I have peace of mind and a quick car.

Probably won't be modding this one anytime soon. I want to move forward with my life now.

Congrats on the new car, glad you got and found the deal you were looking for and could live with. Is it an Automatic or 6 speed. Enjoy the new car, your gonna love it.

2016 2SS, NPP, Adrenaline Red Leather and Pads, 6sp, Sunroof, Black Bowties, Upgraded Wheels, 15% Tint, Kooks Headers, MBRP Exhaust, 1LE Wheels, Badging, Ported Throttle Body, Procharged, Snow Performance Stage 2 Meth Kit

Coming Soon: Custom Cam, E85, Ported Heads
13BlackCamaroSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 02:39 PM   #40
red_johnny

Drives: 2016 Gray 2SS M6
Nice, congrats!
red_johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 02:50 PM   #41
DougCBJ

Drives: 2016 Blue 2SS
If you plan to keep the car long term, there is absolutely no reason to not get the longest term loan possible. I took 84 months at 2% interest, it would have been silly for me to not as 2% is cheap burrowing.
DougCBJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 10:15 AM   #42
Deputy Dog
Banned

Drives: 2017 Super Sport Cam.
Quote:
Well, it's done guys.

Did you get a stick?
Deputy Dog is offline   Reply With Quote