#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Phastek Performance

Old 05-01-2023, 09:45 AM   #29
sr71bb

Drives: 2019 Camaro Z-28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baddawg53 View Post
I completely understand, and I think most people would agree, that improving as a driver is the quickest way to go faster and improve lap times.

What I don't really agree with, is this mantra that you shouldn't mod your car until you've maxed out its ability. This decision is entirely up to the individual and their own goals, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with modding and improving your car before you reach the limit of its capabilities. It's almost as if you're saying that someone shouldn't take their ZLE on track until they've mastered driving a Miata.

Work on your skills as a driver, get an instructor to help, mod your car how you see fit and how you think it'll be better. It really doesn't have to happen in any specific order.
Well I certainly am one that threw mods at my car as fast as I could but if I had to do it over again I think money is best spent initially on brake, suspension and tire improvements. I went FIRST with big power NA MAINLY because I blew my engine up and circumstances dictated that at the time.

I DO THINK however in order to get the most out of your mods, seat time is CRUCIAL. I DO THINK too that you can modify you car to best suit your driving style. For instance I determined pretty early on that I like more of a NEUTRAL handling car. Obviously since the factory didnt build our cars that way, I achieved that by using a SQUARE tire/wheel setup along with different sway bar settings and suspension upgrades.

Thanks everybody for all your input keep it coming!!!!
https://youtu.be/c9M5UHDftcA
4-15-23 at SCCA TT U1 Class

MEGA Thread on THIS car:
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=602092

Retired Cars BELOW:
1973 Camaro, 1969 Camaro, 1969 Camaro SS RS
2010 Camaro SS with 1000HP F1R, 2019 ZL1 1LE A10

Last edited by sr71bb; 05-01-2023 at 01:28 PM.
sr71bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2023, 11:52 AM   #30
N Camarolina

Drives: 2021 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerUP View Post
I made this and put it on Zuckerbook a few weeks back:

There are certainly benefits to learning in a momentum car, but there's no "wrong" learning in a higher powered SS or 1LE or even ZLE and everybody progresses differently. I know people in highly modified ZLEs on slicks that aren't quite as fast around NCM as Andy Pilgrim in a stock SS 1LE, but that doesn't mean they can't drive...

Get out there, park your ego, get instruction, check your mirrors and give points liberally, get seat time, slowly push toward the limit, check your mirrors and give points liberally, watch video/data, get more seat time, and did I mention check your mirrors?
Nice job on the graph! I see some of my history in this graph, including the spin with 4 wheels off. 90mph at VIR T10 was quite scary at the time and showed me:

1) A behavior I needed to change on entry to that corner
2) I needed better skills in managing oversteer (so I started seeking skid pads )
N Camarolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2023, 09:43 PM   #31
cdrptrks

Drives: 2017 Blue Camaro 1SS 1LE with PDR
Quote:
Originally Posted by BanOne View Post
Another small point on the consistent lap times, being in novice solo it has become difficult to set consistent lap times and "get into a groove" because of the range of levels you are getting in that class, I find myself wanting to move up just so I can concentrate on my ability and not worrying about the traffic.
I was going to mention this too. Even in most Intermediate and Advanced groups I'm typically getting slowed down by passing others several laps per session. You need to review video and find laps with no traffic if you are going to check for consistency.

Also the stock 220 treadwear Goodyear Supercar 3 tires can do a single lap so fast that they will start overheating and losing grip if you try to continue at the same pace for multiple laps without any cooldown laps so that's another consideration when checking for consistency. If you have a whole session with no traffic and you lap times are all within one second of each other on street tires, the tires were probably capable of going faster over a single lap.

Last edited by cdrptrks; 05-03-2023 at 09:59 PM.
cdrptrks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2023, 12:02 AM   #32
RUQWIKR

Drives: 1LEs
Too many keep changing the car “catalog shopping” buying this and that all the time. Better to stick with a decent combo for a while and get seat time while utilizing data and video to help improve.
RUQWIKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2023, 10:59 PM   #33
ariZona28
Give speed a chance

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2LS, 2015 Camaro Z/28
To add to the OPs question "Do you really want to go faster?" I would also ask what is the reason you're on track in the first place? I chose the HPDE hobby because I wanted a venue to drive fast without getting into trouble with the law. Sure I'm constantly trying to improve my time and technique but I still get a huge rush by hitting 120 and not worrying about red and blue lights in my mirrors. Let's face it most of us aren't going to be the next Mario Andretti or Paul Newman so we're just having fun. You just need to be aware of your own limitations and select the appropriate run groups so you don't frustrate yourself OR fellow drivers. Remember, there is HPDE and RACE GROUPS. Two different entities.
Attached Images

Old 06-21-2023, 07:56 PM   #34
Shawnqa800720

Drives: 2018 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by sr71bb View Post
I post this up in THIS forum because there are a few of us that are constantly chasing a better track time number but in that quest there are some important things that have to be considered in no particular order.

What is your honest assessment of what your skill level is as a driver??? My own opinion is that you want your car to be just slightly ahead of where you are as a driver. A GREAT example of this is a great driver in a MIATA spec car with less than 200HP car probably go faster around a road course faster than a intermediate level driver in a Camaro. The MIATA driver is pushing the limits of what that SPEC car can do without exceeding those limits and is doing this on a VERY consistent basis from LAP to LAP. While NO DOUBT the MIATA is WAY outclassed on the straightaways , we all have a tendancy to forget there are many more CURVES on a road course than there are straightaways.

So the bottom line is the MOST important modification for going faster is the DRIVER. Once you feel you are pushing the capabilities of the car as a driver THEN perhaps it is time to consider some MODs to the car. One of the better ways to judge where you are as a driver is to look at all your laps times in a session and see just how close those times are to each other. Typically if they are within a second or so of each other THEN you have some consistency and you are pushing the limits of where you are CURRENTLY as a driver and of where the car is as well.

What is your COMFORT level on the track??? Let's face it we all have a different level of comfort. A good example I can give relates to a road course I race frequently EAGLES CANYON RACEWAY. On the BACK straight I hit usually 135-136MPH JUST PRIOR to a end of that straight that basically goes into an almost 90 degree turn. I typically brake LATER than most people at marker number TWO. I would say MOST people would NOT be comfortable braking that late assuming their car had the capability to that.

So WHATEVER level it is that you are at, STICK to what feels comfortable to YOU. There is NO SENSE for instance in modifying your car to have a capability that you are not comfortable in exploring.

As you get better as a driver, that comfort level you have with you car will change and the things you think were NOT possible before will become attainable.

This is a fun post sr71bb!

Just this past weekend, one of the coaches at my HPDE couldn't catch me in his ZL1 1LE while I was in my lowly SS (w/ GM SS1LE lowering/handling and sway bar kits and ZLE rear cradle bushings and Toyo RRs while he was fully stock). Afterward he caught me in the paddock and handed me the keys to his car. He wanted me to drive it for comparison - clearly he trusted me, but damn - I was blown away. I didn't want to do it, but on lunch break my wife convinced me to take him up on it and I am so glad I did. What an amazing machine. So balanced and predictable. It made my SS feel like a Buick in comparison .

I now know I have reached the limit of my current SS build and with 30K on my GM performance struts/shocks, I was considering replacing those soon anyway. The run in the ZLE convinced me to move to coil overs and while I was pulling some of the bits apart, I am doing a near full SPL makeover. For now, I am keeping the SS 1LE sway bars and the stock rear upper and lower traction bars. I did recently move to 18" staggered wheels and picked sizes that I could source my Toyo RRs or Hoosiers. After riding the GY3R's though, I am now a bit disappointed that I sized myself out of that option .

Mods should be done in a few weeks and I can't wait to get it back out!
2018 Red Hot 1SS, GM lowering kit & 1LE Sway bar kit, ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings, BMR sway bar end links, GM CAI w/tune, Pray ported IM, Mamo ported TB, VS Forged VS07 rims 20x11 & 20x10 w/ Michelin PS4S
Shawnqa800720 is offline   Reply With Quote