Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-10-2010, 04:43 PM   #1
wylde1
I am the Stig

Drives: Black w/ IOM stripe 1SS
Re-fastening door panels?

I'm thinking of doing some door trim panel mods and I had a question. I know that to remove them you have to dremel off a few plastic rivets, and that the trim kits come with screws to re-fasten the panel in.

Can you buy a panel screw kit to do this? or have you guys just been finding some appropriately sized self tapping screws and using those? I'd like to do this maybe next weekend but I don't know if I want to take the panels off without being able to put them back on haha.

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-10-2010, 04:46 PM   #2
PoorMansCamaro

Drives: Really Slow
Quote:
Originally Posted by wylde1 View Post
I'm thinking of doing some door trim panel mods and I had a question. I know that to remove them you have to dremel off a few plastic rivets, and that the trim kits come with screws to re-fasten the panel in.

Can you buy a panel screw kit to do this? or have you guys just been finding some appropriately sized self tapping screws and using those? I'd like to do this maybe next weekend but I don't know if I want to take the panels off without being able to put them back on haha.

Thanks in advance!
i don't get it...didn't you just answer your question in your first paragraph?
Old 06-10-2010, 04:48 PM   #3
Forcer

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS
I installed mine, and i grinded off the plastic rivets, Then i replaced them with small screw's, they have to very small but thick i used panheads., and use a washer to thicken it because the hard vinyl of the door panel is thin, so becarful not to drill through the door panel. I used beauty washers because they were nice and thick. if you have more trouble il try and get you some measurments on my screws i used...

Forcer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 04:49 PM   #4
PoorMansCamaro

Drives: Really Slow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forcer View Post
I installed mine, and i grinded off the plastic rivets, Then i replaced them with small screw's, they have to me like small but thick, and use a washer to thicken it because the hard vinyl of the door panel is thin, so becarful not to drill through the door panel. I used beauty washers because they were nice and thick. if you have more trouble il try and get you some measurments on my screws i used... but i used panheads.

wow, that is really nice
Old 06-10-2010, 05:23 PM   #5
oachalon

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS
What size screws do the trim panel kits come with?
oachalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 07:22 PM   #6
wylde1
I am the Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forcer View Post
I installed mine, and i grinded off the plastic rivets, Then i replaced them with small screw's, they have to very small but thick i used panheads., and use a washer to thicken it because the hard vinyl of the door panel is thin, so becarful not to drill through the door panel. I used beauty washers because they were nice and thick. if you have more trouble il try and get you some measurments on my screws i used...

Wow! those panels look fantastic on there! are they custom painted or is that a vinyl? I would love that with IOM instead of red in the panel.

Thanks, I'll find some screws that will work. I just havn't had the panel off to look at back yet. Trying to plan as much as I can before I start tearing down. If you happen to know what size screw they were that'd be great.
Old 06-10-2010, 07:23 PM   #7
wylde1
I am the Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMansCamaro View Post
i don't get it...didn't you just answer your question in your first paragraph?
well i know the GM trim kits come with screws, but I don't want to buy a $400 kit just to use the screws. I want to modify my own panels.
Old 06-10-2010, 08:23 PM   #8
Camarofan69
The Autoglass Guy

Drives: 1969 SS 396, 1969 SS , 2010 RS
just dont buy to big of screw or they will bulge out on the outside of the panels then you will have little dimples everywhere.
Camarofan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 01:20 PM   #9
2010CamaroRS
Driver of the Blue Demon

Drives: '15 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
i love dimples...go to ace hardware if ya got one...they have a nice selection of automotive trim screws...even your dealer might have some...thats where i got most of mine

The Few, The Proud, The Hyper Blue Metallics

DT shorties.BBK Intake.FlowMaster AT.Eibach 1'' drop.Hurst Short Throw (44% reduction).Unrestricted Motorsports Gen 1 Style Rear Spoiler.Custom Aqua Blue Metallic Interior Panels.RS Embroidered Head Rests.Interior LED by Oracle.Illuminated Bowtie by Oracle.Footwell LED by Oracle.Grille LED by Oracle.Functional Headliner Console Toggle Switches for LED Lighting.Aqua Blue Engine Cover.RotoFab Radiator Cover.Aqua Blue Fuse Box Cover from RPI Designs.Much More
2010CamaroRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 02:40 PM   #10
critteral

Drives: 2010 camaro 2SSRS, Maggie SC, Kooks
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMansCamaro View Post
wow, that is really nice
critteral is offline   Reply With Quote