Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 09-22-2017, 01:43 PM   #29
Joe's_cool_1le

Drives: Black 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1le32907 View Post
Hey joe did your shop use kooks header gaskets or gm gaskets if it’s the kooks I think we may have found the issue
Great question. I did supply them with the gaskets from Kooks.
2017 1LE SS Black - Mods - Forged - lowered compression - BTR custom Cam - Whipple, 3.500 upper and 8.0 lower pulley, Roto-Fab, 1 7/8 Kooks headers, off road pipes, & 3" Kooks full exhaust. LT4 fuel system, with Alky single nozzle running 100% meth. (not installed yet) DSX Tuning flex fuel and DSX tuning Aux pump
Joe's_cool_1le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 01:58 PM   #30
1le32907

Drives: Summit white 1le ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe's_cool_1le View Post
Great question. I did supply them with the gaskets from Kooks.
After reading some I found that the kooks gaskets are not good so we may both have exhaust leak at the header I just don’t know how much of a pain it is to swap the gaskets
1le32907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 03:34 PM   #31
brettman

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
After reading some I found that the kooks gaskets are not good so we may both have exhaust leak at the header I just don’t know how much of a pain it is to swap the gaskets
YEP, their gaskets are junk, I made my own.
2016 Camaro 1SS, Red Hot, K&N Blackhawk intake, Whipple Supercharger, 3.125 pulley, Kooks 2" long tube headers, High flow cats, secondary cats delete, Mishimoto catch can, P3gauge, Lots of dress-up crap that don't make it go any faster.

Car Journal http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=490975

SC build http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=492656

Drive, Ride, Fly It Like You Stole It

GO BIG OR GO HOME
brettman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 03:50 PM   #32
1le32907

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettman View Post
YEP, their gaskets are junk, I made my own.
Brett why didn’t you use gm gaskets?
Old 09-22-2017, 04:05 PM   #33
brettman

Quote:
Brett why didn’t you use gm gaskets?
I didn't want to take any chances that the flanges weren't perfectly flat.
2016 Camaro 1SS, Red Hot, K&N Blackhawk intake, Whipple Supercharger, 3.125 pulley, Kooks 2" long tube headers, High flow cats, secondary cats delete, Mishimoto catch can, P3gauge, Lots of dress-up crap that don't make it go any faster.

GO BIG OR GO HOME
Old 09-22-2017, 07:36 PM   #34
Joe's_cool_1le

I took a look from the top side at the gaskets (what I could see). Looked okay but not sure looking is suffice lol. Didn't do the install myself but man that passenger side is tight... very tight.. Guessing that coolant reservoir has to come out to get to the passenger side header. I've got a torque wrench to check if they are where they need to be but if I have to pull the tank out to get to it guessing it's probably best to just loosen them and replace the gaskets.
2017 1LE SS Black - Mods - Forged - lowered compression - BTR custom Cam - Whipple, 3.500 upper and 8.0 lower pulley, Roto-Fab, 1 7/8 Kooks headers, off road pipes, & 3" Kooks full exhaust. LT4 fuel system, with Alky single nozzle running 100% meth. (not installed yet) DSX Tuning flex fuel and DSX tuning Aux pump
Old 09-22-2017, 08:02 PM   #35
SS Camaro Freak

Drives: 2016 Gen 6 SS 6spd
Kooks supplys New Vettes and Camaros with Cometic MLS same quality as GM OEM.

These aren't the kooks brand that are shit. They are just as good if not better than the OEM ones.
SS Camaro Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 08:02 PM   #36
brettman

Tank has to come out, If you look at my pics in SC thread, you will see that the Kooks gaskets cover the port (not a lot, but enough in my opinion) Get oem, Cometic or make them
(amazon $43.80)

GO BIG OR GO HOME
Old 09-22-2017, 08:21 PM   #37
1le32907

If they are so good why did Brett’s look like garbage when he took it off? I’m in the same boat as Brett I’m tired of taking stuff on and off. Just want the car to
Be right so I can enjoy some day
Old 09-22-2017, 08:27 PM   #38
Joe's_cool_1le

Quote:
Yeah it was weird. Before I had the exhaust and headers put on the idle was at like 14.6 dead on but then after it climbed to 17-18. My tuner said it was operating normally for that gauge but they seemed a bit vague. I've just paid attention to the AFR at WOT which has in the safe zone. Then again I have the AEM boost gauge too which shows me hitting as high as 12PSI but when they had it hooked up they saw that the gauge was reading 2PSI higher then it should. Again another vague answer and now just I just subtract the two PSI.. My boost depending on temps will vary from 9PSI to 12PSI.
Just to clarify when I say vague answer - nothing was able to be done to fix the bad readings.

One thing that AEM said was whether or not the placement of the sensor was in a different place before the header install vs. after. That sensor is the one that connects on the headers right before the cats right?
Old 09-22-2017, 08:31 PM   #39
Joe's_cool_1le

Quote:
Just to clarify when I say vague answer - nothing was able to be done to fix the bad readings.

One thing that AEM said was whether or not the placement of the sensor was in a different place before the header install vs. after. That sensor is the one that connects on the headers right before the cats right?
Quote:
Yeah it was weird. Before I had the exhaust and headers put on the idle was at like 14.6 dead on but then after it climbed to 17-18. My tuner said it was operating normally for that gauge but they seemed a bit vague. I've just paid attention to the AFR at WOT which has in the safe zone. Then again I have the AEM boost gauge too which shows me hitting as high as 12PSI but when they had it hooked up they saw that the gauge was reading 2PSI higher then it should. Again another vague answer and now just I just subtract the two PSI.. My boost depending on temps will vary from 9PSI to 12PSI.
Just wanted to see if I could quote myself twice. Thinking this might qualify as talking to ones self.. LOL... Got to love Friday nights.
Old 09-22-2017, 08:35 PM   #40
Joe's_cool_1le

For the record I do see Kooks headers being installed on LT1's and LT4's by my speed shop just about every week. I haven't seen any complaints from any others.
Old 09-23-2017, 08:29 AM   #41
1le32907

Joe you do bring up a good point about placement on my borla cat back I know the shop had to put a spot for the bung on the American racing pipe I switched to it was already there so placement could definitely be a difference too.