Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

AWE Tuning

Old 02-25-2017, 03:57 AM   #1
Need4Camaro

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS & '99 Camaro Z28
Cabin gets VERY hot @ highway speeds. Climate control off - temp setting lowest

2017 Camaro 1LT
Currently 5,000 Miles
When I noticed the issue? Less than 1,000 miles on odometer

I don't know if this is an "issue" or the nature of the car but here is what is happening...

If I am on the highway doing anything in excess of 65 MPH, regardless of how cold or hot it may be outside in about 20 minutes or more of doing these speeds, the vents begin blowing VERY hot air, as if the thermostat was set at 80 degrees and will NOT stop blowing this air even with the system completely powered OFF. I have adjusted the temperature dial to the lowest setting (below 61) and even when its LITERALLY (not exaggerating) 15 degrees Fahrenheit or colder outside, it is extremely HOT inside my care to the point that I have to take jacket off to bare. When I get off the highway, the issue disappears and it becomes necessary to use the climate controls to maintain the heat in the car.

The reason this is an issue is because if I were to take the car out in the summer and its already this hot in the interior in below freezing temperatures, lord knows whats in store for me in the summer...

Does anyone else experience this issue or do I need to take my car in for service?
Need4Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 04:13 AM   #2
Summit1le1ss

Drives: 2017 1ss1le
Push the recycle air button. Keep the power off if you don't want on, just make sure recycle is pushed and this will keep air from coming out. I had same issue...
Summit1le1ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 06:44 AM   #3
Dayle1

Drives: 2016 Hyper blue coupe V6/auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summit1le1ss View Post
Push the recycle air button. Keep the power off if you don't want on, just make sure recycle is pushed and this will keep air from coming out. I had same issue...
I agree, with the system 'open' rather than in 'recycle' more air will get pushed thru the vents at higher speeds due to air pressure. If that air is warm and there is little to no venting out the back of the cabin, then it will get pretty hot. You can also put the system in 'auto' mode and the A/C will turn on to maintain the interior temp setting.
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 07:24 AM   #4
DFW1LE

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE Mosiac Black
I had a problem like that on a Honda I owned. There is a motorized vent control that is supposed to close to block hot engine air from entering the compartment, but even on cool days the car would blow very hot air into the interior. Not saying that is what you are experiencing, but it is quite possible there is a malfunction in your vent control system.
DFW1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 06:00 PM   #5
BpTees_1LE

Drives: 2019 Camaro SS 1LE
I thought I was the only one. I couldnt figure out wtf is going on. But the system is completely off and it still hot as if some hot air from the engine is coming through to the cabin.
BpTees_1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 07:45 PM   #6
DeadSpider

Drives: 2019 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by BpTees_1LE View Post
I thought I was the only one. I couldnt figure out wtf is going on. But the system is completely off and it still hot as if some hot air from the engine is coming through to the cabin.
Mine does it too. It sucks. Also recirculating air still lets outside air into the car.
DeadSpider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 07:58 PM   #7
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
The hcav design in our cars is a POS. The temp mix door doesn’t fully close to prevent hot air from flowing over the heater core and entering the cabin.
Gunkk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 11:10 PM   #8
sengli

Drives: 2015commemorative vert 2SS
Once the engine and trans is hot, the cabin on these cars just soaks in the hot. I agree on the HVAC system being kinda flaky on these Gen6 cars. On mine, its either AC on, or the windows opened.
sengli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 09:51 PM   #9
KindaOrange

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS
Run into the same problem. Knew it was engine heat. Appreciate the feedback on the "recycle" button.
KindaOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 09:00 PM   #10
OniCamaro

Drives: Camaro V6 2017
I used to have this problem a lot and somehow it doesn't happen anymore, phew. I'm guessing the only way to stop the vents from blowing hot air is turn on the AC? That's what I had to do and after some time I could shut it off and it wouldn't blow hot air for quite a while.
OniCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 10:29 PM   #11
PnCRedJwl2SS
Howdy! Pete here...

Drives: 2017 50th Anniv 2SS, A8, NPP, MRC
Not sure if this happens in my car. I've never turned the AC system off. Bought it new in September of 2016. Always comfortable in the car.

PnCRedJwl2SS is offline   Reply With Quote