Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 06-18-2015, 02:24 PM   #1
guitarman715

Drives: Future Gen6
Potential Gen6 Camaro Turbo 4 Owner

Looking at possibly picking up a 2016 Camaro 2LT 6mt with the Turbo 4 in it around May or June of 2016.

I know alot of people are wondering, who would want a 4 cylinder Camaro?!

Well, I am apart of this "target audience" that you hear other people talking about, and I do mind sharing my point of view on why this is a great option for me and I am very happy that Chevy is offering such a package.

First off, the SS would be sweet. I mean, don't we all want an SS with 455hp?! Of course, but at this point in my life, it is just not practical. Me and my wife are saving to buy a house, and the additional expenses of owning such a car just pile up one right after another. The initial purchase is higher, taxes, insurance, gas mileage, etc. It is an expensive car overall to not only buy, but to own. (compared to other models, "expensive" is relative)

So this leaves me with 2 options, the V6 or the I4 Turbo. Here is a little background first. I have owned several Nissan 240s in the past and I have turboed them all. They were really fun cars, not only to drive, but to work on. Buying and installing front mount intercoolers, blow off valves, boost controllers, downpipes, catback exhausts, etc. that all give you substantial performance increase is just plain FUN. You can tell immediately the difference you made in just that 1 part, as they all work with the turbo and have higher percentage increase versus NA motors.

My budget is 30k and under, and according to the pricing models, if I were to opt for the V6, I would not be able to load it up like I want. So the end result would be a Camaro that really isn't good or bad at much of anything, everything would be mediocre and just a little bit more horsepower.

Now on the other hand, if I opt for the Turbo 4, I can pretty much customize the car to my liking if the projected prices are accurate. RT package, 2LT, nav, leather, pretty much whatever I want to an extent. I would have slightly less horsepower, but I will in return get a car with great fuel economy and great tune-ability. I then can easily make that car have 350+ horsepower. I speak from experience with turbo 4s, it is not hard to get to that number starting at 275 at all, and to me it is a FUN process. I personally would not get as much joy out of throwing an intake and exhaust on the V6 and calling it a day as I would modifying the turbo 4, even if I am just making up ground to the V6.

So I personally think the Turbo 4 will make for a really fun car. Not necessarily the fastest, but a DD that will not break the bank and I can always look forward to the next "cool" part that I am going to put on it.

So, thank you Chevy for making this possible. I love the Gen6, and you have already sold 1 of your turbo 4s to me if everything goes as planned!
guitarman715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 02:28 PM   #2
oneredry
HYPER SS

Drives: 2016 Supercharged 2SS
I think thats a pretty good plan. Good thing about a I4 Turbo, you can mod them up pretty well. I'm part of the Fast and Furious crowd back in the day and modded the heck out of the my 4cyl.
oneredry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 03:05 PM   #3
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
Where about in NC are you? Not sure if it has been confirmed but the 2.0T will likely require premium fuel, which might come close to negating any fuel savings vs the LGX V6 in the long run. But I think you would like the 2.0T better in terms of modding anyway, so it's a small concession. There's nothing even remotely accurate in pricing yet, but I think you will be fine with your budget.

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 03:10 PM   #4
guitarman715

Reidsville, Near Greensboro. Good point, however, I will run premium in whatever brand new car I get anyway. This will be my first brand new car ever and I want to take really good care of it and running premium is always a more healthier choice for your engine.

Also as a side note, even if GM doesn't require premium, I will recommend premium to any turbo owners. Turbo cars really need at least 91 octane to run efficiently in my opinion, especially if you mod it at all.
Old 06-18-2015, 03:15 PM   #5
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Congrats and welcome to the family.

Sounds like a fine plan to me. Getting the V6 to 350HP should be easy also, but it won't have near the torque of your modified turbo 4. For me, its either going to be a loaded V6 or 1SS....not sure yet.

You want to spend 30K or under, but honestly I'm not sure your are going to be able to hit that mark with a loaded 2LT 4 cylinder model. At this point, it appears the T4 and the V6 are going to share pretty much the exact same stuff when it comes to chassis, brakes, drivetrain, and interior features (turbo 4 will get a 3.23 final drive in the automatic versus the 2.77 in the V6), so the only difference will be the engine. I do believe the base T4 will offer less standard features than the V6 will, thus creating a higher base price gap between the two. But once you load up the turbo, I'm thinking cresting over 30 may be pretty easy to do. I predict a 2LT V6 will start at 31 to 33K (current 2LT starts just over 30K). Add options and it will push 34 - 35. I can't see the turbo four coming in but maybe 1,500 to 2,000 under that if loaded up like the V6. Maybe I'm wrong.

Not trying to dash your hopes and dreams or anything, but I wanted to bring it up anyways.

The Turbo 4 is going to be a fun car for sure.
Old 06-18-2015, 03:25 PM   #6
guitarman715

Thanks for the info! You arn't dashing my dreams at all, I currently drive a dang Colorado with roll up windows!! There are a lot of things I can deal without. The main things I want will be RS package, leather, and upgraded audio. Everything else is not a big deal. I have between now and May-June to save the extra 1k or 2k if it comes to that, but I hope not.
Old 06-18-2015, 04:14 PM   #7
wakespeak

Drives: 2020 ZL1 1LE
I wish Chevy success with the 4cyl turbo but I would wait to see some real world gas mileage. Road and Track just tested the Mustang Eco boost and got 13 mpg. Sure they were driving it like a sports car.

It will depend how you drive - as soon as you put your foot down the turbo will suck in fuel like a bigger engine. If you drive on the highway or at otherwise constant speeds, then you would see better mpg.

On the other hand the V-6 weighs about the same as the 4 cyl and doesn't have the turbo complexity. It will have better bottom end around town so you may actually get better mileage in those conditions. It will be a fast car. In Texas I have learned that 4cyl engines get burdened noticeably by the AC vs torquier engines.

Just to add the V-6 will be tuned for regular. Premium is about 10-15% more expensive here.
Old 06-18-2015, 04:36 PM   #8
SuperSound

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakespeak View Post
I wish Chevy success with the 4cyl turbo but I would wait to see some real world gas mileage. Road and Track just tested the Mustang Eco boost and got 13 mpg. Sure they were driving it like a sports car.

It will depend how you drive - as soon as you put your foot down the turbo will suck in fuel like a bigger engine. If you drive on the highway or at otherwise constant speeds, then you would see better mpg.

On the other hand the V-6 weighs about the same as the 4 cyl and doesn't have the turbo complexity. It will have better bottom end around town so you may actually get better mileage in those conditions. It will be a fast car. In Texas I have learned that 4cyl engines get burdened noticeably by the AC vs torquier engines.

Just to add the V-6 will be tuned for regular. Premium is about 10-15% more expensive here.
Those have been my observations as well. Turbo 4s are affected greatly by your driving habit, more so than a NA engine.

Old 06-18-2015, 05:41 PM   #9
NASTY99Z28

Drives: 99z28 with bolt-ons and a mwc fab 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakespeak View Post

Umm the turbo4 offer more torque than the v6 pretty much everywhere throughout the rev range. It also has better gearing so explain the better lowend to me again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSound View Post
Those have been my observations as well. Turbo 4s are affected greatly by your driving habit, more so than a NA engine.
Yes turbo cars will consume more fuel when pushed but if you are trying for mpg's you won't drive like that anyways. Hell I know with my cammed,fullbolton ls1 with gears can still pull 25-27mpgs on the highway if Im good. Problem is the being good part.

With these cars being roughly the same weight I'm sure they can hit some damn good numbers when just cruising.
Old 06-18-2015, 05:49 PM   #10
SuperSound

Quote:
Originally Posted by NASTY99Z28 View Post

Yes turbo cars will consume more fuel when pushed but if you are trying for mpg's you won't drive like that anyways. Hell I know with my cammed,fullbolton ls1 with gears can still pull 25-27mpgs on the highway if Im good. Problem is the being good part.

With these cars being roughly the same weight I'm sure they can hit some damn good numbers when just cruising.
Agreed, but a lot of average drivers don't know the first thing about driving economically. This is why Ford has caught a lot of flak for the ratings on their Ecoboost cars. The cars are capable of their ratings or better. This probably also explains why the magazines always get low ratings for turbo "fun to drive" cars and boring "econoboxes" with turbos do better in their tests. They aren't driving them the same I'm sure.

Old 06-18-2015, 05:57 PM   #11
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Yeah, a lot of the F-150 EcoBoost FE complaints are people coming out of V8s and being told they still have V8 power with V6 fuel economy. The thing is, those two are mutually exclusive with the EcoBoost and other turbos.
Old 06-18-2015, 06:06 PM   #12
guitarman715

Being that Iv owned so many turbo cars, I know how to drive them. Everything that is being said is true, but im the kind of person who doesn't beat a car all to hell. For the most part I cruise, so I will get great gas mileage for the most part. I enjoy spirited driving when the opportunity arrives, like an on/off ramp or if I go out to the mountains to find some twisties and enjoy a drive.

Anyone who dogs a car all the time will get poor gas mileage no matter what the mpg rating is. Not sure why all these reviews don't understand that. The day that you can drive the piss out of a car every moment and still obtain high mpg will be the day that gasoline engines are not being used as the primary power source anymore.....
Old 06-18-2015, 10:38 PM   #13

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
In a post earlier, Fbodfather stated something to the effect that the 4cyl is more popular and the 6s and 8s are actually put down and not popular by "younger" buyers....

Al O. stated in his recent video that the 4cyl is for a segment that is "....accepting, loving, and modifying...4cyls...."

It's all good...and after thinking about it, the times they are a'changing....4cyls are very popular with younger buyers....(my 24 year old drives a Subaru WRX....as do many of his friends....they do "mods" which to me are pretty tame, but even if they could afford it, they would probably opt for a 4cyl car/tuner-car anyhow...)

Just sayin' I think they will sell well...probably better than many of us think....and it is surprising on one hand, but after thinking about it, not surprising at all...

Good luck to all who "want" a 4cyl....
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 10:44 PM   #14
RenegadeSS

Drives: Camaro LLT
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarman715 View Post
Looking at possibly picking up a 2016 Camaro 2LT 6mt with the Turbo 4 in it around May or June of 2016.

I know alot of people are wondering, who would want a 4 cylinder Camaro?!

Well, I am apart of this "target audience" that you hear other people talking about, and I do mind sharing my point of view on why this is a great option for me and I am very happy that Chevy is offering such a package.

First off, the SS would be sweet. I mean, don't we all want an SS with 455hp?! Of course, but at this point in my life, it is just not practical. Me and my wife are saving to buy a house, and the additional expenses of owning such a car just pile up one right after another. The initial purchase is higher, taxes, insurance, gas mileage, etc. It is an expensive car overall to not only buy, but to own. (compared to other models, "expensive" is relative)

So this leaves me with 2 options, the V6 or the I4 Turbo. Here is a little background first. I have owned several Nissan 240s in the past and I have turboed them all. They were really fun cars, not only to drive, but to work on. Buying and installing front mount intercoolers, blow off valves, boost controllers, downpipes, catback exhausts, etc. that all give you substantial performance increase is just plain FUN. You can tell immediately the difference you made in just that 1 part, as they all work with the turbo and have higher percentage increase versus NA motors.

My budget is 30k and under, and according to the pricing models, if I were to opt for the V6, I would not be able to load it up like I want. So the end result would be a Camaro that really isn't good or bad at much of anything, everything would be mediocre and just a little bit more horsepower.

Now on the other hand, if I opt for the Turbo 4, I can pretty much customize the car to my liking if the projected prices are accurate. RT package, 2LT, nav, leather, pretty much whatever I want to an extent. I would have slightly less horsepower, but I will in return get a car with great fuel economy and great tune-ability. I then can easily make that car have 350+ horsepower. I speak from experience with turbo 4s, it is not hard to get to that number starting at 275 at all, and to me it is a FUN process. I personally would not get as much joy out of throwing an intake and exhaust on the V6 and calling it a day as I would modifying the turbo 4, even if I am just making up ground to the V6.

So I personally think the Turbo 4 will make for a really fun car. Not necessarily the fastest, but a DD that will not break the bank and I can always look forward to the next "cool" part that I am going to put on it.

So, thank you Chevy for making this possible. I love the Gen6, and you have already sold 1 of your turbo 4s to me if everything goes as planned!
I too love boosted four bangers. I actually grew up modding four cylinders, but I'm a huge fan of the ecotec motor. Now for the nit and gritty. Premium is recommended for the LTG but not required. As far as aftermarket is concerned, you can look up ZZPerformance. They are the for most ecotec experts. KPE performance is also doing wonders with the ATS crowd. Also, if you are curious as to how the camaro 2.0t will perform, just look at the ATS numbers. You will find that the ATS is on par with the ecoboost mustang. If you ever need any advice, shoot me a PM. No I'm not a vendor, just an ecotec and camaro enthusiast