#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

Phastek Performance

Old 06-14-2015, 10:28 AM   #1
Gforce8
WFO all the way

Drives: Hyper Blue 2SS, Kalahari, 6 speed
Brakes??

The 5thGens weak point was brakes as the car was very heavy.
(Unless you drive slowly)
I was very happy to hear the car is lighter as it certainly will help performance and braking.
Then I read that the brakes are (still 4 piston) 2 inches smaller?
It will also look puny within the 20 inch wheels.
The 5th gen was the first car I've ever heard off where the rear rotors (14.5") were bigger than the fronts (14")
I hope the brakes can handle track duty. I'd hate to dish out 4 G for a sixpiston upgrade.
Also has anybody confirmed bolt pattern is 115mm or 120?
I'd like to use my existing spare wheel sets.

Other than that, can't wait to get my 2016.
Old 06-14-2015, 02:07 PM   #2
laborsmith

Drives: 1969 Corvair, 2018 Camaro T4 RS
Brembo brakes are standard on the SS and available on the LT for both engines, I believe.
Details in the PLAYBOOK stickied above.

Laborsmith
laborsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 02:13 PM   #3
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gforce8 View Post
I was very happy to hear the car is lighter as it certainly will help performance and braking.
The 5th gen was the first car I've ever heard off where the rear rotors (14.5") were bigger than the fronts (14")
I hope the brakes can handle track duty. I'd hate to dish out 4 G for a sixpiston upgrade.

Brakes...weak point on the 5th gen? I think not. The SS (as I'm sure you know) came standard with great performing, fade resistant brembos. The Camaro 1LE out performed the 2015 Mustang GTPP in braking tests (of course, the tires helped with stopping distance as well I'm sure) but they never complained about the brakes. There are guys on Camaro5 that track their 1LEs without much if any changes to the brake system.

Sounds like you've been listening to thePill a bit to closely on the other Mustang site...all he is doing is trolling about how the brakes on the 2016 SS are way to small for the job, but we all know that won't be the case, and that there will be optional brakes on the track setups anyways. Whats the point? The point is that for 90% of owners, the stock Brembos will perform perfectly, and for the other owners that want a brake setup for the track, they will have that option....not that the standard Brembos on the SS may not do OK in their own right. You have to remember, the car will be 200 - 250 pounds lighter in base form, with less rotating mass as compared to the 5th gen Camaro.

I wouldn't worry.

As for your question on bolt pattern, I believe it has been confirmed that the bolt pattern is the same.
Old 06-14-2015, 02:26 PM   #4
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
Ok it's not just me then. I never heard brakes being a weak area in the 5th gen. Maybe on the 4th gen. I know my '99 was terrible with brake fade and warping rotors.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 02:27 PM   #5
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
What it seems to me is that GM actually did some serious engineering study and found that they didn't need such large rotors to get the same results in their braking tests. Smaller rotors reduce weight, which in turn helps braking, and it becomes part of the larger equation that the 6th gen Camaro is lighter and will perform better than it's 5th gen counterpart.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 02:51 PM   #6
13vertss

Drives: 2013 Camaro convertible 2SS/RS
Going from 14" fronts to 13.6" fronts is minimal considering the weight loss. The 14.5" rears to 13.3 rears is a little more, but still should be great with less weight.
13vertss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 03:47 PM   #7
SPCBA

Drives: pleather and Chiclets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gforce8 View Post

You are wrong about bad brakes. Go google the Nissan z car if you want bad brakes. The fifth gen brakes are phenomenal for the price point and beyond. I out brake 911, GTR, mx5, etc. other companies have brakes pads that will fade out before a warm up lap on their entry level. meanwhile stock Ss brakes are on big boy tracks for hpde
Old 06-14-2015, 03:49 PM   #8
SPCBA

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post
What it seems to me is that GM actually did some serious engineering study and found that they didn't need such large rotors to get the same results in their braking tests. Smaller rotors reduce weight, which in turn helps braking, and it becomes part of the larger equation that the 6th gen Camaro is lighter and will perform better than it's 5th gen counterpart.
Reducing unsprung weight effects every aspect of performance significantly.
Old 06-14-2015, 05:23 PM   #9
whiteboyblues2001

Drives: 1SS, A8, MRC, NPP, Blade Spoiler
GM has also said that the SS will track capable off the bat. Their stated definition was that you should be able to run a whole tank of gas around the track without any performance issues. I would assume that means brake fade, as well as heat soak and overheating (engine, trans, or rear).

I noticed in the play book that the front lower grill has ducts that direct air to cool the brakes on the SS. I am wondering if using three radiators not only provides more engine cooling, it allows for more room for the ducts?

And as others said, if the Gen5 is any indication, the brakes will be great.
whiteboyblues2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 07:09 PM   #10
SPCBA

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyblues2001 View Post
GM has also said that the SS will track capable off the bat. Their stated definition was that you should be able to run a whole tank of gas around the track without any performance issues. I would assume that means brake fade, as well as heat soak and overheating (engine, trans, or rear).

I noticed in the play book that the front lower grill has ducts that direct air to cool the brakes on the SS. I am wondering if using three radiators not only provides more engine cooling, it allows for more room for the ducts?

And as others said, if the Gen5 is any indication, the brakes will be great.
Wow good catch on the ducts to the wheel well. The three rads might not be spcifically for it, but their placement might have been with this in mind.
Old 06-14-2015, 07:13 PM   #11
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13vertss/r's View Post
Going from 14" fronts to 13.6" fronts is minimal considering the weight loss. The 14.5" rears to 13.3 rears is a little more, but still should be great with less weight.
On the other hand, its pretty unusual for rear brakes to be bigger than the fronts since they play a much smaller role in slowing the car down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPCBA View Post
Reducing unsprung weight effects every aspect of performance significantly.
Which is why I was somewhat surprised that the SS is getting 20's. Going down an inch or two would save some unsprung weight & even more importantly, reduce the rotating mass.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 07:28 PM   #12

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Even with the factory weight reductions, there is still plenty left for the track that can be done by the owner...lighterweight tires and wheels, even lighter weight rotors and hats, lighter battery, rear seat delete, etc...

It will be interesting to see how much, if not all, of the goodies an SS can get, such as brake ducts, composite and other lightweight suspension parts, etc., from the factory...If the new 6thGen SS can out perform the current 5th gen 1LE, a sixth gen 1LE should be a real monster....

How they divvy up the track goodies, or what they have in store that we haven't seen yet for a 1LE, should be very interesting...
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 08:09 PM   #13
whiteboyblues2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Which is why I was somewhat surprised that the SS is getting 20's. Going down an inch or two would save some unsprung weight & even more importantly, reduce the rotating mass.
I was wondering if they would go with a 19" wheel option on the SS. The overall tire diameter is smaller though. It's a lower profile tire than the PZeros with the 20" wheels on the 5thGen. That, combined with the smaller rotors will help reduce unsprung and rotational mass. That's going to make a significant difference in the nimbleness of the car.
Old 06-14-2015, 08:18 PM   #14
whiteboyblues2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPCBA View Post
Wow good catch on the ducts to the wheel well. The three rads might not be spcifically for it, but their placement might have been with this in mind.
From what I understand, the main radiator is located in the conventional position, and two smaller radiators are stationed on either side, mounted at right angles. At the bottom of the box formed by the V-8’s three radiators lies a horizontally mounted transmission cooler, through which air flows downward.

It sounds like GM is backing up it's claim that the SS will be a trackable car from the get go. Three radiators, transmission cooler, brake cooling ducts. I think I also saw a picture of the new LT1 engine with ports for oil cooing as well, but I can't remember where.