Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

AWE Tuning

Old 06-04-2015, 09:09 AM   #15
Jeb114

Drives: 2021 300
They cannot lower the price of a future Z/28 until all the new ones out there are long gone, they would collapse the value of residual sales. To much unsold steel out there to take that chance. According to cars.com there are still around 30,000 unsold Camaro's out there and sales for the 2015 are flat. I think that's why they are not talking about any upgraded cars, got to sell the ones they got!!!!
Jeb114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 09:26 AM   #16
citizennick

Drives: 2016 2SS
I hope they don't wait a few model years before they release the 1LE, as @toehead93 mentioned, theres still quite a bit that could be done to the 6th gen to make it more track-focused. that said, I think they did a great job with the SS to make it capable on the track, such as the radiators and MRC. I want to order an SS when that opens up but I also want to wait and see what they offer next year. UGH, this is tough!
citizennick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 09:27 AM   #17
IOMike

Drives: 2022 F150, 87 Monte Carlo
The LT4 exists, so the Zl1 should come as a 2017. This high HP NA engine everyone wants doesn't, to my knowledge, so that will be a late 2017 or 2018 depending on how much work is done on it.
IOMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 09:35 AM   #18
Iroc_Z28

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
Is it really necessary to wait to bring out a track pack type of option? The C7 had the z51 option right from the start in 2014 and the 6th gen mustang got the PP option in 2015
Old 06-04-2015, 09:43 AM   #19
citizennick

Drives: 2016 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iroc_Z28 View Post
Is it really necessary to wait to bring out a track pack type of option? The C7 had the z51 option right from the start in 2014 and the 6th gen mustang got the PP option in 2015
Thats why I expected some sort of package for the Camaro. Yeah, the SS comes optional with MRC, but I kind of expected something like the 1LE off the bat. Hell, the Mustang at least gets the Recaro's as an option their first year.
citizennick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 10:02 AM   #20
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilAndyG23 View Post
I just don't see what the 1LE would consist of, other than just tweaking minor things, magnetic dampers are already available on any 6th gen and that was really the major game changer for the 1LE in the gen5.
The only 5th gen to get MR shocks was the ZL1. The 1LE uses different shocks from the regular SS but they are still conventional in design.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 11:50 AM   #21
Bosse'sBoss

Drives: '16 Camaro SS 6 spd manual transm.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizennick View Post
Thats why I expected some sort of package for the Camaro. Yeah, the SS comes optional with MRC, but I kind of expected something like the 1LE off the bat. Hell, the Mustang at least gets the Recaro's as an option their first year.

Completely agree with your comment.
Plus Maybe wider wheels and 285's tires, squared setup, Sport Swaybars & springs, something similar to the actual 1LE that will help crush the GT350.
Bosse'sBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 12:17 PM   #22
titanfan
Account Suspended

Drives: Several in a big garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeb114 View Post
They cannot lower the price of a future Z/28 until all the new ones out there are long gone, they would collapse the value of residual sales. To much unsold steel out there to take that chance. According to cars.com there are still around 30,000 unsold Camaro's out there and sales for the 2015 are flat. I think that's why they are not talking about any upgraded cars, got to sell the ones they got!!!!
GM doesn't have to worry about it, the dealers have that burden. GM has already made their money on whatever inventory is sitting on the dealer lot/showroom.

Personally, I think there were some lessons learned by GM with the 5thGen that will not be repeated in the 6thGen. A z/28 with a MSRP of $75K is history. IF, they bring the z/28 back in this next generation, I doubt it will mimic the formula used for the previous generation. That car, while well engineered and worthy of the praise it gets for its track prowess, was not as successful as GM probably thought it would be. They made the car so many on this site and others begged for, but the actual number of people willing to pay what they were asking for it was obviously much lower than anticipated.

The reality is, very few people buying a Camaro are hung up on how well the car handles in a track setting versus how it handles in the real world. This is why the 1LE option for the SS and the z/28 model are very low-volume sellers.
titanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 12:20 PM   #23
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
GM didn't build a $75k Z/28 because they felt like it, that was the only way to build an LS7 powered Camaro. If they put the LS7 in a 1LE, it would have been slower around a track than the ZL1 but cost the same or more. They built it the way they did because they had to.
Old 06-04-2015, 01:14 PM   #24
IOMike

Drives: 2022 F150, 87 Monte Carlo
It was a no excuse track car. Carbon ceramic brakes, multimatic suspension and the biggest and baddest NA v8 GM made.

The price was the result of the parts and lets not forget the R&D needed for such a low volume car. It had specific wheels, body and aero parts. They really did a good job on the car when they could have half assed it.

Not the car for me as it's too hardcore and too expensive.
IOMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 03:24 PM   #25
titanfan
Account Suspended

Drives: Several in a big garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
GM didn't build a $75k Z/28 because they felt like it, that was the only way to build an LS7 powered Camaro. If they put the LS7 in a 1LE, it would have been slower around a track than the ZL1 but cost the same or more. They built it the way they did because they had to.
Exactly. But that IS where the MSRP landed and you would be hard pressed to convince me otherwise that the price-point had a big impact on sales. That was my point.

GM did build the car that so many on Camaro5 begged for. A normally-aspirated, low bells and whistles content, track focused, street-legal vehicle worthy of the z/28 heritage. They got exactly that. Unfortunately, once they got what they wanted, very few were willing to actually pay for it.
titanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 04:03 PM   #26
Jeffro19

Drives: 2018 ZL1 6M, Silverado High Country
Like the old saying goes gotta pay to play. The next Z28 will be much more attainable for most people.

Current Vehicles - 2018 ZL1 Red Hot 6 spd manual, Carbon Hood, Sunroof
2019 Silverado High Country, Daily Driver
Jeffro19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 04:09 PM   #27
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ztwentypoop View Post
Exactly. But that IS where the MSRP landed and you would be hard pressed to convince me otherwise that the price-point had a big impact on sales. That was my point.

GM did build the car that so many on Camaro5 begged for. A normally-aspirated, low bells and whistles content, track focused, street-legal vehicle worthy of the z/28 heritage. They got exactly that. Unfortunately, once they got what they wanted, very few were willing to actually pay for it.
And anyone that wanted a cheapo Z/28 probably bought a 1LE instead. Its what halo models are supposed to do: sell some cars to some people, sell more cars to other people.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 04:18 PM   #28
Capricio

Drives: 2000 WS6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffro19 View Post
Like the old saying goes gotta pay to play. The next Z28 will be much more attainable for most people.
Agreed, but as Z28 gets scaled down, what's going to be the big differentiator from 1LE to Z28? A different engine? Z28 was reduced down to little more than a badge in the past, and as a max effort racer more recently. So it can fall anywere in between for Gen6.

Without a more powerful engine, as a consumer I really don't see the point of a Z28 over a 1LE, and a different engine would likely move the price up well over 60k if it costs anything approaching what it takes to produce an LS7. WIthout a different engine and a resulting significant price increase, I don't really see enough space between them for both.
Capricio is online now   Reply With Quote