Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 10-02-2017, 02:50 PM   #29
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Meh View Post
I was assured, repeatedly, on this very board, that ICE wasn't going anywhere for a very, very long time.

Here's GM itself stating that 20 new all-electric vehicles are coming as of 2023. That's only 6 years out.

20 new all eVs is not a small sampling, either and clearly shows they're slowly making the pivot.

Also, that Camaro looking one sure does have some wide hips in the back.
GM has more than 80 models. For 20 to be all-electric by 23 is not a stretch and does not mean that the ICE is dead. Reduced? Yup. Dead? Nope.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 03:28 PM   #30
Mr. Meh

Drives: Sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
GM has more than 80 models. For 20 to be all-electric by 23 is not a stretch and does not mean that the ICE is dead. Reduced? Yup. Dead? Nope.
My point was the commentary from other threads exclaiming how long it was to remain in the foreground, as opposed to being an "also run" type of locomotion. Not that it was to be 100% eradicated in 6yrs.
Mr. Meh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 03:51 PM   #31
Cameron27

Drives: 2015 2SS
T.

Last edited by Cameron27; 06-06-2019 at 10:17 PM.
Cameron27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 04:21 PM   #32
zeekle

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS
I actually think the sports cars will be some of the last cars to get the electric treatment.

Dumping a whole lot of DECENT EV cars out there will help fix the CAFE MPG crap and still let them put some 16 MPG V8 monsters out.

Personally I think the battery situation (rare metals,toxic) as it stands is going to slow down some of this electric stuff once people start to build electric cars in the numbers that GM/Ford puts out instead of tesla.

I for one would drive an all electric (but not a hybrid) car as a commuter but I don't see myself giving up the sports car ICE for an EV version till I just have to.
zeekle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 06:41 PM   #33
DAC17

Drives: 2019 Corvette Z06 M7
Anyone care to hazard a guess at how many additional EV chargers are going to be needed with the "millions" of new EV's car makers are going to build in the next 5 years? And, for bonus points, who's paying for all of them??

I think we may have a case of the cart before the horse here.
DAC17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 07:06 PM   #34
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAC17 View Post
Anyone care to hazard a guess at how many additional EV chargers are going to be needed with the "millions" of new EV's car makers are going to build in the next 5 years? And, for bonus points, who's paying for all of them??

I think we may have a case of the cart before the horse here.
Not nearly as many as there are gas stations. Most people will charge at home and wake up every morning with a "full tank". The only times chargers other than your home charger would be needed will be those rare occasions when you outdrive your range in a single day. A Chevrolet Bolt has a 238 mile range. If you commute 50 miles round trip every day, you can go most of the week without plugging in at all. If you plug in every night, no worries.

My wife is on her 2nd Chevrolet Volt. The first one had a 38 mile electric range before the gas engine kicks in. The new one goes 53 miles on electric. She goes weeks without the gas engine turning on and the only place she plugs in is home.

DAC17, You have the same Volt. What's your experience?
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Old 10-02-2017, 07:15 PM   #35
DAC17

Exactly the same as yours but, as you can see by my garage, I use each car less than a normal annual mileage. If people are buying as a primary vehicle, I'm not sure they would be as common sense about it as you are, and maybe more (mostly improperly) concerned about the range. And for the higher-range cars, they'll likely want/have to buy Level 2 chargers, which won't come cheap. I guess we'll see.
Old 10-02-2017, 07:40 PM   #36
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
I saw that, too.....

Could be VERY interesting......
Old 10-02-2017, 07:58 PM   #37
Stex

Drives: 67 goat, 69 goat ram air III
Some people are so ill informed that they think evs are green...more than ices...strange....hope that is not where this tread is going...just is Camano going ev.
Stex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 08:06 PM   #38
IMadeYouReadThis

Drives: 02 Camaro SS 6M / 11 GMC Sierra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron27 View Post
The Camaro is currently offered as a budget-friendly car. It’s not a luxury car, but it’s also not an overly basic or overpriced car.

What is the focus of the Camaro?:
#0 (the overarching idea): Accessible by almost anyone, price-wise.
#1 Exterior design, and the engine+chassis.
#2 Interior value from the base model.
#3 Options where options matter: exterior customizations, engine, performance, etc.

With that in mind, it all comes down (I think) to what can be offered. If electric is cheap enough to produce, then perhaps.

I think if they can, an electric hybrid offering will be the way to go. A Camaro without the sound just doesn’t sit right. Not yet. Once other cars start going quiet, less or no sound will be normalized. I think hybrid will be the way to go, to retain sound quality.

I could see a hybrid turbo 4 cylinder, and a hybrid v8 of some sort. I wonder if the v6 would stick around as a hybrid, or if it’d go the way of the Mustang. I don’t mind the v6 leaving, if the sound of the 4 cylinder can truly step up (not just in the exhaust, but from the actual engine itself). Or, I wonder if a v6 would be better for the better high end torque, and to toss aside the 4. I have no clue.

What could a hybrid v8 ZL1 do? Amazing things, I think. I wonder if the day they do that will be the day they go all-wheel-drive or selective.

Bring on a hybrid Camaro I say. Imagine a base model hybrid i4 getting a 4 second 0-60 stock with good fuel mileage. Wouldn’t mind that.
I hope they don't kill the six it's a fantastic engine especially paired with the NPP and 6 speed manual transmission.

How I'd love to see them slap the twin turbo 6 into the Camaro.

It's definitely going to be a hard pill to swallow the day that you either get an electric or no Camaro at all.

I do think we're far away from that though I think that we're going to see the internal combustion stick around in the Camaro for quite some time
IMadeYouReadThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 08:16 PM   #39
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Ludicrous mode in a Camaro ZL1 .... hmmmm....
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 03:25 AM   #40
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
The Mustang Hybrid is not a rumor. It is a go program. Whether and how GM will respond is the issue.
i think you are seeing a preview under the cloth.
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 08:22 AM   #41
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm
The Mustang Hybrid is not a rumor. It is a go program. Whether and how GM will respond is the issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcoats1976 View Post
i think you are seeing a preview under the cloth.
Could be, but hybrid, not EV

Old 10-03-2017, 07:12 PM   #42
DAC17

Couple of other thoughts on the guesstimate that electric vehicles are coming more quickly than people thought.

1. Have the utilities been planning for the additional generation that will be needed? Hundreds of thousands of electric cars will require much additional capacity, and power plants take a long time to build. Don't see much of that going on in New England, anyway. Remember brownouts during peak demand periods. That'll work well with additional demand.

2. What is going to take the place of taxes on gasoline and diesel that keep our roads maintained? I can see each of the 50 states trying to increase the price of fuel or impose a mileage tax or something else. Or not.

3. How about people that live in cluster housing (apartments, condos, etc.) that won't have access to easy charting. What are they supposed to do?

I'm not against electric cars; heck, I own a Volt. But I don't see some of the basic infrastructure thinking going along as quickly as the sales forecasts for these types of cars.

I assume a few people will let me know what I'm missing. Haha.