Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 03-14-2018, 06:54 AM   #15
Gen6 softtop

Drives: Hyper blue 1ss convertible 6 sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by retmil View Post
I hope I don't get flamed too badly for this question: Is there a way to disable the rev-match feature? I keep hitting it accidently and don't use it anyway. Thanks!
flame! Flame! Flame! Lol but seriously Rev match is a must for M6 if you ever want to track the car or drive aggressive in general. Around corners keeps you from losing traction when down shifting. Allows for a much smoother down shift when normal driving, easier on the drive line also! Really think you should embrace it lol. Don't fight it.
Gen6 softtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 09:58 AM   #16
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by retmil View Post
I hope I don't get flamed too badly for this question: Is there a way to disable the rev-match feature? I keep hitting it accidently and don't use it anyway. Thanks!
If you were doing your own rev-matching - and for driving smoothness and avoidance of partially locking/chirping the rear tires you should be doing this anyway - ARM is not supposed to activate even if it's been turned "on". Page 231 in the online user manual.

I suppose you could come up with some creative way of blocking the paddles against being accidentally moved that wouldn't be too visible.

Norm
Old 03-14-2018, 03:56 PM   #17
retmil

Drives: 2022 Wild Cherry SS
Thanks for the replies and suggestions.
retmil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 04:57 PM   #18
MackSteelPrivateEye
Banned

Drives: 6 on the Flo' Super Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lerch98 View Post
These cars are not like the carburated Camaros. Bliping the throttle on down shift is delayed. Without the rev-match you have to anticipate a bit.

It seems those that dis the rev match have automatics, other makes or drive carburated cars.
I use the rev match, and its a must for the drive by wire system. (IMHO)

I would agree about the paddles. I don't like them, and would prefer a button on the dash.
I have not had problems bumping them by mistake, but I would like the button on the dash better.

If there was a way to move that circuit to a button on the dash, I would be all ears to know about that.

Exactly...to get a proper blip you have to get a retune. The delay in the throttle is to save gas because the throttle will attempt to sense the aggression in your driving. Cruising along at easy throttle the response is smoother and slower. Attacking the throttle a bit more but not hammering it between gears you can feel the punch more, but as far as actually blipping you won't get the same carb response blip. Not a bad trade off since we get pretty damn good gas mileage for the amount of performance we are putting out. But if you want to hammer it between gears you can do that to and get all the power you want.
MackSteelPrivateEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 01:28 PM   #19
SSDanny

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS M6
I noticed the best way to blip the throttle to down shift is to hit the gas twice, and then time it to release the clutch. Makes it sound like you're being an obnoxious show-off on the road, but it's the best way to downshift in my opinion.
Old 03-16-2018, 01:44 PM   #20
srcstc

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSDanny View Post
I noticed the best way to blip the throttle to down shift is to hit the gas twice, and then time it to release the clutch. Makes it sound like you're being an obnoxious show-off on the road, but it's the best way to downshift in my opinion.

I noticed the best way is to pull one of those paddles behind the steering wheel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
srcstc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 01:48 PM   #21
SSDanny

Quote:
Originally Posted by srcstc View Post
I noticed the best way is to pull one of those paddles behind the steering wheel.

Right. I, however, bought the M6 to manually change gears and hit the throttle myself.
Old 03-16-2018, 02:27 PM   #22
srcstc

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSDanny View Post
Right. I, however, bought the M6 to manually change gears and hit the throttle myself.

LOL I have an M6 too. I just won't sit there hitting the throttle repeatedly every time I down shift.

Old 03-16-2018, 02:53 PM   #23
Techn9cian805
The BEAST

Drives: '16 2SS, '89 Wife
It's more satisfying to rev match yourself, sure, but don't lie to yourself or anyone else thinking you can do better and more consistently than a computer lol not unless you're a professional race car driver. I like it. I've been rev matching myself for years before i got my camaro, as a truck driver, and being able to just have the car do it for me is a welcome change and relief that allows me to focus on speed and consistency.

If you really want to tho, just remove the paddles as suggested before. You wont miss them.
Old 03-16-2018, 03:52 PM   #24
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Quote:
I don't understand why people object to using rev match.
When you've been doing your own rev-matching for as long as I have, not using your own foot to do all of the throttle control is just plain wrong. Though ARM isn't supposed to work when you are doing it yourself.

Aren't you one of the people who noticed some odd behavior when ARM was turned 'on'?

Quote:
LOL I have an M6 too. I just won't sit there hitting the throttle repeatedly every time I down shift.
Once it's in your mind to rev-match everything that's ahead of the gear you're about to downshift into (including the clutch disc and the transmission components that cannot be disconnected from the clutch disc), it's just the way you do most downshifts. You never notice it as being burdensome or somehow odd.

Done properly, the first kick on the gas happens when you let off the clutch with the shifter in the neutral gate. The second brings the engine back into matching revs. It's really a much smoother process than you think.

Rev match on upshift is when you lift off the throttle and let the engine slow its revs down naturally all on its own. No electronic assistance necessary.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 03-16-2018 at 04:08 PM.
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 04:11 PM   #25
torqueaddict

Drives: Tesla M3 LR-AWD [Former 1SS owner]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
When you've been doing your own rev-matching for as long as I have, not using your own foot to do all of the throttle control is just plain wrong. Though ARM isn't supposed to work when you are doing it yourself.
If rev matching is turned on, it's always active over a certain speed (17mph or something close to that). If you don't want to use it, you turn it off. The color of the gear indicator determines if it's on or off. I was skeptical at first, but it works really well as long as you're shifting withing its programmed parameters. If your clutchwork or overall timing is sloppy, it may not activate.

Quote:
Once it's in your mind to rev-match everything that's ahead of the gear you're about to downshift into (including the clutch disc and the transmission components that cannot be disconnected from the clutch disc), it's just the way you do most downshifts. You never notice it as being burdensome or somehow odd.

Done properly, the first kick on the gas happens when you let off the clutch with the shifter in the neutral gate. The second brings the engine back into matching revs. It's really a much smoother process than you think.
Been driving stick for a long time, so rev matching is second nature, but none of that takes away from convenience and coolness factor of having the computer do it for you perfectly every time.

The bottom line is it's not forced upon you. It's there if you want it. Ignore it if you don't.
torqueaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 04:49 PM   #26
srcstc

Quote:

Aren't you one of the people who noticed some odd behavior when ARM was turned 'on'?

Norm

Yes. It does behave weird on upshift. I wish ARM only worked on downshift.

Old 03-16-2018, 05:09 PM   #27
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by torqueaddict View Post
Been driving stick for a long time, so rev matching is second nature, but none of that takes away from convenience and coolness factor of having the computer do it for you perfectly every time.
We're going to have to agree to disagree on the boldfaced part. I don't find any coolness in having a computer make me look good from the outside (it's kind of fake), and if I was insistent on having convenience for this task I'd just get an automatic and call it done. I'll take any imperfection on my part in stride and as incentive to keep working at getting better.

No flame intended, it's just the way I feel.

Quote:
The bottom line is it's not forced upon you. It's there if you want it. Ignore it if you don't.
I get this. ARM was on a 6th gen 1SS I drove (briefly) last year. But even with zero previous driving experience in any 6th gen, double-clutch downshifting that car was hardly any different from double-clutching any of the cars in my sig or three more that aren't.

I suppose I could say that being able to do this yourself is portable from one car to the next (and the next and the next . . .), where the electronics stay with the car and wouldn't be backdate-able into an older car or a borrowed car that didn't have the feature.

Norm
Old 03-16-2018, 05:32 PM   #28
SSDanny

Quote:
We're going to have to agree to disagree on the boldfaced part. I don't find any coolness in having a computer make me look good from the outside (it's kind of fake), and if I was insistent on having convenience for this task I'd just get an automatic and call it done. I'll take any imperfection on my part in stride and as incentive to keep working at getting better.

No flame intended, it's just the way I feel.

I get this. ARM was on a 6th gen 1SS I drove (briefly) last year. But even with zero previous driving experience in any 6th gen, double-clutch downshifting that car was hardly any different from double-clutching any of the cars in my sig or three more that aren't.

I suppose I could say that being able to do this yourself is portable from one car to the next (and the next and the next . . .), where the electronics stay with the car and wouldn't be backdate-able into an older car or a borrowed car that didn't have the feature.

Norm
Agreed. The technology behind it is cool, but I'd rather shift it all on my own, or else automatic it is.