Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 03-21-2018, 12:20 PM   #15
Stig eh

Drives: 2017 SS 50th Jan 17 2018
1. sell the old camaro and get 4400 cash

2. trade in your v6 and get 72 or 84 month financing on the new 2SS

3. put the 4400 on the principle of the car loan when the old car sells

4. U will love the 2SS and just agree not to mod it until you have paid down 50 % of the loan

5. �� enjoy the new car for a year and see if you end up in the Wild West of californication

6. the old camaro is a money �� pit and go to car shows or help someone else repair an old car and end the time and money pit for 2-3 years

7. drive your new camaro which will make you giggle every time u drive it
Stig eh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 12:21 PM   #16
Stig eh

Rent a 2SS for 3 days on the weekend and never look back. stig eh
Old 03-21-2018, 01:12 PM   #17
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
OP Sell both yourself and then look for a used SS with cash in hand.

SSes also drop in value like stones. I just sold my 13K miles $46K sticker two year old SS for a little less than $30k including $6k+ of mods.

That is the smartest way to make the move. You just have to price your cars right and market them in the best light possible.

The dealer will fleece you, that is how they stay in business. But they do make it very easy to flush thousands down the drain. Not knocking them, that is how they stay in business. Caveat emptor.
Old 03-21-2018, 01:26 PM   #18
LuvMI
Lovin the growl...

Drives: 2018 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by qcman View Post
Its funny I went 84 months on my 2013 SS because I don't like to have a high payment that I must be required to make each month. But the loans are open so what I do is slam them down with extra cash when I have it... Kind of best of both worlds. Paid the car off in 26 months instead of the 84 I signed with no penalties.... But I was never stressed about making a high payment I didn't wish to make at a given time.

OP tough call I'd say. I wouldn't be buying another Camaro until someone agreed to fix the problems with the one I have first though...

+1.
LuvMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 06:20 PM   #19
Need4Camaro

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS & '99 Camaro Z28
Sorry for the delay, busy day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollaMo View Post
You can't go by what MSRP was.
What did you actually pay for the car when purchased new?

One of the reasons for higher than expected depreciation, is because when the actual new car selling prices goes down (incentives, good deals, etc) that also affects the value of all the used cars down the line.

Most new cars today will depreciate faster than you can pay on them for the first 2 or 3 years.

And it wouldn't be a very smart move on your part to get that 84 month financing on that 2SS your wanting.
Yes, the payments will be less. The car will still depreciate, but with those slightly smaller payments you will not be keeping up with the depreciation.
3 or 4 years into your 7 year loan, you will own more on the car than it's worth.

Everyone wants a smaller payment.
But it comes at a price!
&
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kise View Post
my exact thoughts.

you will owe more until about 30% of term left on the loan. I bought my 2ss fully loaded new for 40 in cash which saved tons on interest but when I went to look at the zl1 1le four months later they offered me 27k with 3k miles on it. it was better to just keep it for the depreciation it had.
getting a longer term may be better for your situation/pockets but in the end you will spend around 1/3 of the cars value just in interest and be half way through the loan and still owe 10k more than the car is worth.
they are damn fun cars and expensive
&
Quote:
Originally Posted by crysalis_01 View Post
No one should, in good financial sense, make an auto loan for longer than 48 months.

Sometimes it sucks having to wait a bit longer, but if you can't make 48 happen (max), then work on saving up capital. Dealing with a faulted vehicle, your 1LT, sucks but bite that bullet and make the smarter decision, not a hasty one.
Understood. Admittedly the way I bought my 1LT V6 wasn't the smartest. I wanted the car and had the money at the time and traded in while I was still upside down on my 15 Model V6.. I was impatient. Have the payments themselves been hurting me? No, I was working two jobs until January (was making 6 figures) and I've paid them up a bit over a year in advance and killed about 2 years of my car loan of the original 72 months. (2 years were killed because I did a hell of a dent in the interest) I wouldn't have attempted this if I was making less money though.

As for the 84 month loan? I should note that I intend on paying WELL in advance. I definitely don't want to hold a loan for 84 months, its just mainly for a comfort net that I won't risk being penalized should anything happen that I like the lower payments, that and it makes financing other things easier as they will see that my monthly expenses are low in my debt to income ratio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_johnny View Post
Why not get a used 2SS?
&
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
He mentioned rebates and special 84 month financing. That says new to me
I have been considering this as well and it may be the route I actually pursue, the only reason I havent throttled on it because I'm seeing rebates on these cars comparable to the used prices with maybe like $3k difference ($3k more for a new model with rebates.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deputy Dog View Post
Whats faster? the 99 z/28 or the v6?
99 Z28 will still take my 1LT V6. When my MAF fowled out my Z28 took a nose dive in power and I couldnt figure out what was wrong for a long time till I took the airbox off and found this:

That was my SLP LID, cracked and fowled my MAF...While it was misfiring my V6 probably could have beaten it pretty decently.. now that its running healthy again the Z28 will probably destroy it. The 1LT V6 however can surprise me and at times I do question as to whether it can run with my LS1.. I would vouch to say it PROBABLY can, but I don't think it can beat it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qcman View Post
Its funny I went 84 months on my 2013 SS because I don't like to have a high payment that I must be required to make each month. But the loans are open so what I do is slam them down with extra cash when I have it... Kind of best of both worlds. Paid the car off in 26 months instead of the 84 I signed with no penalties.... But I was never stressed about making a high payment I didn't wish to make at a given time.

OP tough call I'd say. I wouldn't be buying another Camaro until someone agreed to fix the problems with the one I have first though...
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvMI View Post
+1.
Since we're on that subject...

...GM (not the Chevy dealer, but actual GM) gave me a call today but I missed it, in the voice message they noted that they are considering the option to buy my 1LT V6 back from me and they emailed me a crapton of paper work that I've been filling out. I need to go to the DMV tomorrow but if they give an approval to buy it back, I will let them have it and move on... I may even not get another car right away either.. not sure on it.
Need4Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 07:47 PM   #20
Stig eh

you seem to have it figured out that is good. stig eh
Old 03-22-2018, 02:48 AM   #21
red_johnny

Drives: 2016 Gray 2SS M6
Good that you are looking at your options though I would say a new will not compare to a used 2016 (price wise) unless you have 14-18K in discounts (depending on options). When I was looking at buying what I wanted would MSRP around 48K. Looking at discounts the most I could find was 5-7K which still would have left me in the low 40's. I ended up finding a used one last year for 35K which saved me another 5-7K. Now that we are another year down the road a 2016 can be had for the low 30's. Just something to consider which I am sure you are. I am of course, talking specifically about 2SS' here. Other considerations which I am sure you are thinking of would be a warranty. But if you intend to modify that might not be a consideration.
red_johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 12:53 PM   #22
Need4Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_johnny View Post
Good that you are looking at your options though I would say a new will not compare to a used 2016 (price wise) unless you have 14-18K in discounts (depending on options). When I was looking at buying what I wanted would MSRP around 48K. Looking at discounts the most I could find was 5-7K which still would have left me in the low 40's. I ended up finding a used one last year for 35K which saved me another 5-7K. Now that we are another year down the road a 2016 can be had for the low 30's. Just something to consider which I am sure you are. I am of course, talking specifically about 2SS' here. Other considerations which I am sure you are thinking of would be a warranty. But if you intend to modify that might not be a consideration.
They're out there:

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...modelCode1=CAM

Edit: I'm highly considering going down to Florida this minute and picking this car up. Doing the math the payments would be perfectly where I want them and I would have a 0 mileage SS, only downfall is, its not my favorite color and I'm not sure how I feel about DD'ing a M6.

Last edited by Need4Camaro; 03-22-2018 at 01:04 PM.
Old 03-22-2018, 01:46 PM   #23
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Edit: I'm highly considering going down to Florida this minute and picking this car up. Doing the math the payments would be perfectly where I want them and I would have a 0 mileage SS, only downfall is, its not my favorite color and I'm not sure how I feel about DD'ing a M6.
This may be worth considering. The auto tranny option is going to add to the price. But I would think similar deals would show up that are not as far from you as Bradenton.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 01:50 PM   #24
modru2004

Drives: 2018 2ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrlz View Post
This may be worth considering. The auto tranny option is going to add to the price. But I would think similar deals would show up that are not as far from you as Bradenton.
might be hard finding one that loaded for that kind of price though. thats a damn good deal. even though i went auto this time i would have went manual for that price.
modru2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 01:55 PM   #25
Need4Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrlz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by modru2004 View Post
might be hard finding one that loaded for that kind of price though. thats a damn good deal. even though i went auto this time i would have went manual for that price.
https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...modelCode1=CAM

I'm currently inquiring on this one. I love the interior infact I probably wouldnt regret trading the Z28 in on it.

That and its an auto, I dont mind the 5k miles..

For the M6 thats my next shoot, the only thing is, I do alot of driving (put 30k miles a year on my 1LT V6 and ALOT of that is through Atlanta traffic and I broke my left knee a few years ago so Im not sure how Im going to like clutching)
Old 03-22-2018, 01:55 PM   #26
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Good deal on that '17! I would check all the dealers around your area of Atlanta to see if you could find what you are looking for. I live in Columbus and bought my '16 in LaGrange because of better price and it was what I wanted in a 2SS. The dealer here wouldn't work with me and my trade in so I checked there and they were happy to get my business. I would buy from them again. A 6 speed is not that bad for a DD unless you are in traffic a lot. Of course Atlanta Georgia traffic is just about bad all the time. Good luck!
Old 03-22-2018, 02:20 PM   #27
red_johnny

Drives: 2016 Gray 2SS M6
Wow! Great deals!!!
red_johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 04:03 PM   #28
MackSteelPrivateEye
Banned

Drives: 6 on the Flo' Super Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deputy Dog
Whats faster? the 99 z/28 or the v6?

99 Z28 will still take my 1LT V6. When my MAF fowled out my Z28 took a nose dive in power and I couldnt figure out what was wrong for a long time till I took the airbox off and found this:

That was my SLP LID, cracked and fowled my MAF...While it was misfiring my V6 probably could have beaten it pretty decently.. now that its running healthy again the Z28 will probably destroy it. The 1LT V6 however can surprise me and at times I do question as to whether it can run with my LS1.. I would vouch to say it PROBABLY can, but I don't think it can beat it.
----------------------------------------------------

I can understand that. I once owned a 5th Gen V6 Man trans. camaro that I would try and compare to the old muscle cars of yesteryear. For instance my old 383 Ply RoadRunner with just a 3 speed auto trans. would beat my 5th gen coming off the line if I could get the traction. My 5th gen had minor mods like axleback, cai, ported intake which made it run much better than stock. In fact I was not happy at all with the stock performance and if the mods did not improve it I would have gotten rid of it. After the mods the v6 would I am sure beat the Roadrunner which was all stock except for headers. Though the RR Tq would just pull better in 1st gear off the line. The V6 pulled good off the line too because it was a stick and you could up the RPMs before letting off the clutch. If it were an auto it would have no chance. But back to my point. The RR's would lose in the top end for the simple reason it was just 3 spd auto trans. You have all that tq spread out over just 3 speeds. If the RR had a modern 6 speed more efficient trans with sticky tires it would easliy be a low 13sec car stock. It was only rated at 335hp but something like 420lb ft. Tq.
MackSteelPrivateEye is offline   Reply With Quote