Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 03-07-2018, 01:25 AM   #71
RealG

Drives: 2024 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
It's not lack of advertising. And GM has zero desire to sell you a V8 Camaro for not much more than a V6 today. Can't give all that HP away for free, even if a push rod V8 costs substantially less than an DOHC V6 which it does, at least last time I saw any numbers. I'm pretty sure a 5.3L from the pickups costs less than a DOHC V6. Think trading 2 cylinders and pistons for 3 extra camshafts and 8 valves and all the associated machining. Of Course the 5.3L V8 would not perform much better than the V6 if at all and the FE would be much worse.

But I challenge you to come up with a list of content GM could eliminate to give you a sub $30,000 V8 Camaro. GM should not (as a stock holder with a pension coming someday) ever make less money just to give a customer more than is possible.

I think GM should sell me a ZR1 Corvette for $59,000 because that's what I want and i'm positive sales would increase. Or just sell me a ZL1 for $49,000, that would triple sales I'm sure and I'm sure GM would make a crap load of money on it.
So what’s the answer to the poor sales? You have all the answers , Chevys not interested in selling me a V-8 , they’re not interested in selling cars at a lower price point to be competitive. Advertising is a waste of money. But you still want that big pension. Camaro sales are in the tank so what’s your solution ? You sound like a corporate GM guy “hey if the public is too stupid to not overpay for this perfect car we will just stop making it and show them” They tried that once and it didn’t work either.
RealG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 06:46 AM   #72
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Correct me if Im wrong, but wouldnt selling alot more V8 and hi HP versions cause them greif with cafe?
Maybe sales are right were they want them to be for the times we are in. The other thing is that the Challengers sales for the most part have been pretty flat or at a very slight incline day one. The mustang and camaro sales just adjusted to challenger numbers. That tells me that buyers didnt flock to the Challenger. They are buying other products such as trucks and SUVs. Maybe the world has moved on from retro single purpose (fill in the blank)cars.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 08:03 AM   #73
Gen6_1Le

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1Le
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealG View Post
So what’s the answer to the poor sales? You have all the answers , Chevys not interested in selling me a V-8 , they’re not interested in selling cars at a lower price point to be competitive. Advertising is a waste of money. But you still want that big pension. Camaro sales are in the tank so what’s your solution ? You sound like a corporate GM guy “hey if the public is too stupid to not overpay for this perfect car we will just stop making it and show them” They tried that once and it didn’t work either.
You should just stop wanting a sub par V8 camaro and focus on a mustang ,they give you exactly what your looking for.
Gen6_1Le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 08:46 AM   #74
SecondZ28

Drives: 2013 ZL1
I don't believe Chevy is stressing over sales numbers anymore, as long as profit margins are hit and they continue to make money.
'87 GN
SecondZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 09:13 AM   #75
AZCamaroFan
Camaro6 2016-2018

Drives: sometimes
'lower price to be competitive'

good grief you do realize that whatever price Dodge is pushing challengers out the door at that the Challenger is in it's ELEVENTH year of production and it rides on a chassis another 5 years older than that. They aren't putting any money into that thing. You think if Chevrolet takes out power windows and the radio thery're going to sell you an SS for 29K?!

they're not in the loss business anymore.
AZCamaroFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 12:30 PM   #76
Mikamaro
MikeNoMaro

Drives: A 2016 Challenger R/T M6 STP
All good points everyone is bringing to the table.
I did not replace my 5th gen with a SixGen Camaro due to its small size. I mean most of us adult American are getting taller & bigger. Average American male is 5'10'', 200lbs. No wonder people buy SUV'S...we need room...space...we have big roads. If I want to get cramp in car in the name of performance; I'm getting a Corvette, A Viper... not a small Mustang or a tiny Camaro.

Track Day Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/mrgoodman2000/videos
Built #83817, Born January 18th, Christened June 11th 2010, Stolen October 3rd 2016.

Last edited by Mikamaro; 03-07-2018 at 12:40 PM.
Mikamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 12:40 PM   #77
Bongos2U

Drives: Hopefully 6th gen Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondZ28 View Post
I don't believe Chevy is stressing over sales numbers anymore, as long as profit margins are hit and they continue to make money.
Correct. GM is motivated by profit over volume now. They were the biggest auto maker in the world, regarding sales, at the time they went bankrupt. Back then then were selling most of their vehicles with razor thin profit margins.

Last edited by Bongos2U; 03-07-2018 at 04:48 PM.
Bongos2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 01:37 PM   #78
MuhThugga
Poppycock

Drives: Pontiac GTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
But I challenge you to come up with a list of content GM could eliminate to give you a sub $30,000 V8 Camaro. GM should not (as a stock holder with a pension coming someday) ever make less money just to give a customer more than is possible.
The 5.3 is highly under-utilized by GM. There is absolutely no reason GM couldn't add a 5.3 Camaro to compete with the 5.7 Challenger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCamaroFan View Post
'lower price to be competitive'

good grief you do realize that whatever price Dodge is pushing challengers out the door at that the Challenger is in it's ELEVENTH year of production and it rides on a chassis another 5 years older than that. They aren't putting any money into that thing. You think if Chevrolet takes out power windows and the radio thery're going to sell you an SS for 29K?!

they're not in the loss business anymore.
Actually, a 2009 Challenger and a 2018 Challenger are worlds apart from each other. Yes, they are on the same platform, but you absolutely cannot compare the two of them and say that they are even remotely the same product.

The Challenger is big and heavy, but it drives well and doesn't feel big and heavy. The Challenger is also practical with a back seat that is actually designed to hold human beings and a trunk actually designed to store luggage. The car also has a large array of trims and engine options that allow you to find something that suits both you and your wallet. You want a Challenger for cheap? Here's the V6. You want a V8 at a reasonable price? Here's the 5.7. You want the 6.4 without SRT pricing? Enter the 392 R/T.
MuhThugga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 02:30 PM   #79
'01LS1

Drives: 2003 Pete
Quote:
Originally Posted by MackSteelPrivateEye View Post
Well the 4th Gen was ugly, people were tired of the door stopper wedged look. The 6th gen is a beautiful car and many don't even know what they are until they ask. Why? Because no advertising. Its like its a GM secret.
While I will agree the 4th gen had become stale toward the end (owned a 2001 Trans Am). Would love for the 7th gen to drop the crazy high belt line & chopped roof that is the 6th gen. But from some of the other GM vehicles rolling out, it looks as though the higher belt lines are here to stay.

Am always a GM fan & it is all that I have owned for over 20 years. So not bashing the brand. The platform & performance of the 6th gen are top of the line. But as much as am looking forward to the '19 refresh, not thinking it will sway the needle much in terms of overall sales.

I do agree Chevrolet needs to throw some cash at advertising properly. "Find new roads" or hanging out at a table on a highway is not proper advertising for the Camaro or Corvette. That is primarily aimed at Malibu/Equinox buyers.

Further, our local dealer did not even know about the 1LE's 2 model years after they had came out. Dealers need better training in terms of what they have to offer as well as need to stock more variations.
'01LS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 02:40 PM   #80
IMadeYouReadThis

Drives: 02 Camaro SS 6M / 11 GMC Sierra
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuhThugga View Post
The 5.3 is highly under-utilized by GM. There is absolutely no reason GM couldn't add a 5.3 Camaro to compete with the 5.7 Challenger.

Actually, a 2009 Challenger and a 2018 Challenger are worlds apart from each other. Yes, they are on the same platform, but you absolutely cannot compare the two of them and say that they are even remotely the same product.

The Challenger is big and heavy, but it drives well and doesn't feel big and heavy. The Challenger is also practical with a back seat that is actually designed to hold human beings and a trunk actually designed to store luggage. The car also has a large array of trims and engine options that allow you to find something that suits both you and your wallet. You want a Challenger for cheap? Here's the V6. You want a V8 at a reasonable price? Here's the 5.7. You want the 6.4 without SRT pricing? Enter the 392 R/T.

There would be no point in making a model with the 5.3 L. the extra weight lower and lower RPM would kill any potential benefits in the 0 to 60 I would wager.

I drove an LS1 V8 Camaro for 10 years and I still have a V8 Sierra with a 5.3 in it that is my opinion.

Things have changed a lot with this generation. The V6 is the most powerful it's ever been. The car is evenly balanced and pretty light compared to previous generations.

People need to ditch the mentality that you need a V8 to go fast it's not true.

Look at your GTO that you drive for example stock those things 0 to 60 back in the day we're 4.7 seconds. That's with the 6 liter 400 horse 400 torque engine.

I think I can live with 5.1 seconds for my V6.

If you're going to get a V8 spend the money get an SS.
IMadeYouReadThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 03:25 PM   #81
Gen6_1Le

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1Le
Quote:

No reason GM couldn't add the 3.6L V6 Twin Turbo to the Camaro either but i don't see that happening . I would much rather see them add the Twin Turbo V6 and push performance forward instead of adding a V8 that would drag things backwards . The Camaro is gaining on the corvette In many ways and i believe Chevy would rather offer a car to attract borderline corvette buyers then worry about would be challenger buyers .
Gen6_1Le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 04:42 PM   #82
AZCamaroFan
Camaro6 2016-2018

Drives: sometimes
Quote:

I already did
AZCamaroFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 09:15 PM   #83
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealG View Post
Lol you are hilarious. It's a very, very tiny pension, but I am more concerned with GMs long term performance than most here.

And you clearly have missed every point I've tried to make over the past 4 years on the Gen6.

A I have stated clearly and concisely for 4 years, make a GREAT coupe first and then make it a Camaro. GM made the greatest Camaro possible, it's just not a great coupe.

But also read your own words, no Apple is not very interested in selling you a cheaper iPhone. They will but it will not be the best most powerful one available. So don't go "wow, imagine how great sales would be if Apple would be interested in selling me an iPhone 10 for $500".

Everyone on here has stated since sales were clearly low, "if Chevy just had great commercials........". Don't you think GM has at least a slightly better clue about the return on advertising than we do? I only suggest they do simply because Mrs. Nunber 3 was Marketing Mgr for C5 and C6 Corvettes and I do know that GM knows better than we do. Sorry, they do.
Old 03-07-2018, 11:10 PM   #84
JeffFox

Drives: 2018 2SS Coupe A8
I am the king

Quote:
Originally Posted by detltu View Post
February 2018 Camaro Sales Figures (and vs. Mustang and Challenger)
Feb 2018 Delivery (sales) stats:
Camaro Feb 2018 sales 3680 -21% (Pr Ye)

Compared to competition:
Mustang Feb 2018 sales 5800 -30% (Pr Ye)
Challenger Feb 2018 sales 6093 0% (Pr Ye)

Challenger sold almost as many cars in February as Camaro sold in January and February combined.
Well , i'd like to thank the Ford and Dodge owners for making the sacrifice and purchasing a car that underperforms my 2017 2SS. It is good to be King!
JeffFox is offline   Reply With Quote