Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 08-03-2017, 06:37 PM   #43
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Who knows?....go to the DIC screen and find the fuel mpg screen that shows the v4/V8 indicator and then listen when it switches.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 06:48 PM   #44
Degausser

Drives: 2010 Tundra
I'm not a fan of the AFM on the 16 SS. Very noticeable pitch change with the NPP fuse pulled and back seat down. Accelerating to 50 mph and having AFM kick on around 40 is annoying. You can give it more gas but I'm not trying to race anybody.

I also find that it constantly switches between v4/v8 on cruise control above 60 mph.

Overall I do think that AFM is a nice feature to have, but I would prefer to have an option to disable it in the settings or have track mode turn it off.
Degausser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 08:31 PM   #45
PinHead
Banned

Drives: Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stex View Post
I would pay extra to get a 6.2 without AFM and any of its components, meaning standard lifters and none of the extra oil routing solenoids etc. The AFM lifters with a lifter in a lifter and pins is just asking for failure. To me they are just something else to fail.
+1
We're paying the Gas Guzzler tax anyway right?
PinHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 09:53 AM   #46
BrianL

Drives: 2016 2SS, Red Hot, NPP, Nav, M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinHead View Post
+1
We're paying the Gas Guzzler tax anyway right?
I don't think we are. AFM and the CAG's system for manuals help to get around that tax.
BrianL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 03:26 PM   #47
trboxman

Drives: 2017 2SS, M6, HBM
You are. It's on the sticker.
Old 08-06-2017, 12:43 AM   #48
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
maybe its already posted but does AFM actually save gas. in the trucks it does not. who has turned it off and did your mileage change?
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 10:33 AM   #49
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCunningham View Post
maybe its already posted but does AFM actually save gas. in the trucks it does not. who has turned it off and did your mileage change?
It all depends on how you drive. ANYBODY can drive in a manner to minimize AFM and will therefore see no improvement, and probably even a decrease in mpg compared to same vehicle without AFM. Similar to EcoBoost for Ford. Does it save gas? Depends on how you drive the car. Keep your foot in the turbo and you will not see a fuel savings. Drive it like an everyday vehicle and it will. AFM absolutely does provide significant fuel savings in trucks. If it didn't, it would have never passed the leadership reviews to add the mass and cost of the system to any trucks.

I have seen the test data that shows the impact of AFM on two similar vehicles with and without AFM driven under the same conditions. You need a controlled driving environment (ie - Proving Grounds) and serious instrumentation to make the conditions dead nuts even. In my time at GM I did see that.

One of many aspects of my job had me working with Product Engineering to determine which vehicles could / should get AFM, Stop-Start and other technologies, so I was included in review of test results.

When AFM was first put on vehicles, Corvette and eventually Camaro (AFM came in when there was no Camaro in the portfolio) were excluded because of 2nd order vibration issues when operating in V4 mode. That eventually got worked out as the vehicle architectures and the operation of AFM both improved over the years and AFM got added to both vehicles.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 12:58 PM   #50
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
iv had 2 Silverados with AFM and test drove a 17. It did not work in any of them. I got better mileage after I turned it off and no it want the tune. The tune was stock just let me turn AFM off. All it does in the trucks where i live is come on when going down hill and back off with a shutter as soon as you were on level ground. the 5.3L does not have enough power to maintain a 30 or 55 speed limit in v4. Its possible that with our lighter more powerful cars that it might work a little bit on flat ground. NY is very hilly but they still could not maintain any speed in v4 on level ground.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 02:40 PM   #51
ChevyRules

Drives: 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
It all depends on how you drive. ANYBODY can drive in a manner to minimize AFM and will therefore see no improvement, and probably even a decrease in mpg compared to same vehicle without AFM. Similar to EcoBoost for Ford. Does it save gas? Depends on how you drive the car. Keep your foot in the turbo and you will not see a fuel savings. Drive it like an everyday vehicle and it will. AFM absolutely does provide significant fuel savings in trucks. If it didn't, it would have never passed the leadership reviews to add the mass and cost of the system to any trucks.

I have seen the test data that shows the impact of AFM on two similar vehicles with and without AFM driven under the same conditions. You need a controlled driving environment (ie - Proving Grounds) and serious instrumentation to make the conditions dead nuts even. In my time at GM I did see that.

One of many aspects of my job had me working with Product Engineering to determine which vehicles could / should get AFM, Stop-Start and other technologies, so I was included in review of test results.

When AFM was first put on vehicles, Corvette and eventually Camaro (AFM came in when there was no Camaro in the portfolio) were excluded because of 2nd order vibration issues when operating in V4 mode. That eventually got worked out as the vehicle architectures and the operation of AFM both improved over the years and AFM got added to both vehicles.
Do you know why with the 'Vette AFM would only activate in Eco mode, but Camaro remains active no matter the mode?
ChevyRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 04:22 PM   #52
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyRules View Post
Do you know why with the 'Vette AFM would only activate in Eco mode, but Camaro remains active no matter the mode?
Discretion of the Exec. Chief Engineer, with guidance from the people who advise on f/e/ targets their specific vehicle needs to achieve to help balance GM portfolio. Corvette is lower volume than Camaro and therefore less overall impact on CAFE.

There could be other factors, but that's what comes to mind.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 06:18 PM   #53
mekirk2

Drives: 2016 2SS Ragtop Garnet Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by trboxman View Post
You are. It's on the sticker.
I looked for it and didnt see it on my SS sticker....
mekirk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 09:31 PM   #54
Roasted7

Drives: 2016 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mekirk2 View Post
When you say removed completely, do you mean you had the lifters replaced or did you have it tuned out?
I believe if you install an aftermarket cam you will be required to get an AFM delete kit. Lethal's car is cammed so I'm pretty sure that the AFM is physically removed.
Roasted7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 02:59 PM   #55
Stig eh

Drives: 2017 SS 50th Jan 17 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stex View Post
I would pay extra to get a 6.2 without AFM and any of its components, meaning standard lifters and none of the extra oil routing solenoids etc. The AFM lifters with a lifter in a lifter and pins is just asking for failure. To me they are just something else to fail.

AGREED STIG EH
Stig eh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 07:33 PM   #56
Johnwon

Drives: 2016 Mosaic Black 2SS, NPP, A8.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
Not My experience ....the MB System is virtually instantaneous. I really don't want it either, but it's being way overblown as a problem. As your foot comes on the brake, before you can get to the gas, no better how quick you try, the engine is restored.
This wasn't my experience with a new F-150 that I was given when one of our cars was in the body shop. It took a turn or two to start and I found the impatient people were honking their horn at me while I was waiting for the truck to wake up and start rolling when the light turned green. I finally found the switch and turned it off. The issue is that it turned itself back on every time I shut the truck off. I was really happy to get back to my Silverado and would not consider purchasing that truck until they solved the lag issue or I'd have it tuned out.
Johnwon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
afm, fuel economy, mpg, v4 mode