Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Transmissions

AWE Tuning

Old 02-05-2017, 09:14 AM   #1
Gunmetalmissle

Drives: 16 ngm ss
Who makes the limited slip?

Does anyone know who makes the lsd in the SS? Eaton?
Gunmetalmissle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 09:27 AM   #2
cmitchell17

Drives: 17 2SS, 8L90, Cam, Heads, E85
I was wondering the same thing myself. I'm hoping its not the same thing as the G80 that's in the trucks.
cmitchell17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 11:11 PM   #3
c4racer

Drives: 2016 SS Convertible
No it's not. That is not a limited slip. It's an eaton locker. Completely different animal.
c4racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 04:56 PM   #4
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
Quote:
Originally Posted by c4racer View Post
No it's not. That is not a limited slip. It's an eaton locker. Completely different animal.
Really?, unless we are talking the Elocker, which we are not, the car has a CONE or clutch BASED LSD, could possibly be made by eaton. As far as I know the word "locker" is slang and is meaningless about the type of limited slip deferential.

Here:

http://www.justdifferentials.com/category-s/2597.ht

Even the Eaton Truetrac is called a helical limited slip differential.

"The Detroit Truetrac is a helical-gear style limited-slip differential that maximizes wheel traction and enhances driving and handling characteristics."

below is the cluth base "posi", which Eaton clearly calls a Posi LSD.

http://www.eaton.com/Eaton/ProductsS...posi/index.htm

and yes eaton does make a true locker the "Detroit locker" which ain't in the car.
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 09:46 AM   #5
stook2001

Drives: 99 M3, 04 STi, 16 2SS
Gentlemen, I am very much trying to get to the bottom of this topic as well since it may offer some insight into other diff fluid options that may help address the cold weather noise issues. It also may provide some guidance about the best friction modifier to use (there are differences).

Anyone with more information about this? How can we figure it out? I cross referenced the part number and it seems to be specific to the camaro only, although I don't know if GMPartsDirect will cross reference between GM brands, I would have thought yes. Anyway, this kind of surprised me. I figured that it would be the same unit as in the ATS-V but it doesnt appear to be the case at first glance.

edit: I used the email webform on the Eaton site to inquire whether they are the maker of the diff. Your guess is as good as mine whether they reply and if they bother to provide any real insights. My guess is they will reply but wont provide information... we shall see.

Last edited by stook2001; 02-24-2017 at 10:00 AM.
stook2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 06:17 PM   #6
cmitchell17

Drives: 17 2SS, 8L90, Cam, Heads, E85
I remember seeing a picture somewhere that had the Camaro layed out with arrows pointing to a bunch of different parts on the car indicating the suppliers. It was somewhere on the forums, I just don't remember where I saw it. I also saw an article about the axels that mentioned I think NTK or something in Germany was the axel supplier, and also that they had switched axel suppliers for the 17s? Ive never heard of any NTK or NTG company that makes axels?
cmitchell17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 02:09 PM   #7
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
Quote:
Originally Posted by stook2001 View Post
Gentlemen, I am very much trying to get to the bottom of this topic as well since it may offer some insight into other diff fluid options that may help address the cold weather noise issues. It also may provide some guidance about the best friction modifier to use (there are differences).

Anyone with more information about this? How can we figure it out? I cross referenced the part number and it seems to be specific to the camaro only, although I don't know if GMPartsDirect will cross reference between GM brands, I would have thought yes. Anyway, this kind of surprised me. I figured that it would be the same unit as in the ATS-V but it doesnt appear to be the case at first glance.

edit: I used the email webform on the Eaton site to inquire whether they are the maker of the diff. Your guess is as good as mine whether they reply and if they bother to provide any real insights. My guess is they will reply but wont provide information... we shall see.
no magic here, add posi-quiet from gm or any other vendor till noise goes away.. this has been true for 50 years, I think too many people want a one shoe fits all, clutch based diff need more or less anti chatter addative depending on a whole lot of factors, if yours makes noise put more in... would recommend a change before hand to flush the grit and phosphate used for assembly out of the clutch packs...to any recommended fluid (many come with posi-quiet), if it still makes noise, add more. I used whatever autozone had and it had posi- quiet already in... it does make some noise on the first few turns... no big deal, don't want to get into any silly debate about why the car is not as quite as a Civic.

here is posi-trac... LOL gotta luv all the names.
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/k...taildescriptor

looks like Aburn still does NOT recommend synthetic:
23. What kind of oil should be used with an Auburn limited-slip differential/ Auburn ECTED Max differential?

A23. Non-synthetic 80w90 GL-5 oil treated with Auburn Gear friction additive, part #504102 (also known as a friction modifier). See Catalog page 32. Three (3) ounces of additive will treat one quart of oil. GM or Ford limited-slip additive may be used. We do not recommend synthetic oil. Auburn limited-slip additive is packed in every box with the differential.

I do some more research but I'm already looking at changing mine to a truetrac gear based LSD

Is GM LS synthetic?
Hi Brad,

Yes. Dexron LS Gear Oil 75W-90 is fully synthetic.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any further questions.

Regards,

Michael Kaufman
Technical Services Advisor
Petro-Canada Lubricants Inc.
Tel 1-888-877-6522
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.

Last edited by oldman; 02-25-2017 at 02:52 PM.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote