Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 09-29-2015, 06:31 PM   #15
Mark114

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
I didn't think the current Tremec manual transmissions could detect any gear except reverse. If that is still the case then NLS and Rev Matching would require some way for the ECM to know that you are shifting. That may require engaging the clutch to use NLS and RM.
Mark114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 06:51 PM   #16
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark114 View Post
I didn't think the current Tremec manual transmissions could detect any gear except reverse. If that is still the case then NLS and Rev Matching would require some way for the ECM to know that you are shifting. That may require engaging the clutch to use NLS and RM.
Yeah I don't think it's too complicated. Tie the clutch switch to the ECM, every time the clutch is pressed the ECM knows it and holds the RPMs. It's not gear or speed dependent. Any gear, any RPM, any ground speed. Clutch switch position changes, ECM holds the engine RPM.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 06:54 PM   #17
fastball
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemosfet View Post
While there is benefits with no-lift-shifts on NA cars, it's often associated with FI vehicles as a way to keep the boost up during shifting.
Right, you need FI for no-lift because a carbureted engine has no electronic fuel management. Fuel injected engines all have throttle position sensors which actuate the fuel injectors.
Old 09-29-2015, 07:11 PM   #18
joemosfet

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post
Right, you need FI for no-lift because a carbureted engine has no electronic fuel management. Fuel injected engines all have throttle position sensors which actuate the fuel injectors.
Sorry, when I said FI I meant forced induction, the opposite of NA, naturally aspirated. I guess I thought that would have been clear from context when I said "boost" but, mea culpa. Plus fuel injection is often referred to as EFI. Oh well, updated with clarification.
2014 Stingray Premiere Edition Coupe #142/500 Z51 3LT M7 Laguna Blue, Magride, NPP, Exposed Carbon Fiber Roof, Carbon Fiber Dash, Suede Wrapped Interior

Canceled: 2016 Camaro Coupe 1AK37 2SS Coupe, G7E Garnet Red, BRJ Adrenaline Red Trim, F55 Magnetic Ride, NPP Exhaust, CF5 Sunroof, 56R Gray Split spoke w/ machined face, RN2 LPO Illuminated Bowtie, VYW Premium Floor Mats, W2D LPO Cargo Net
joemosfet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 07:43 PM   #19
MBS

Drives: 2010 rs 2lt
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post
I'm not sure anyone here really understands no lift shift. It's not that complicated.

The ECM holds the engine RPM in place when you hit the clutch. Plain and simple. Eliminates the need for you to lift off the gas when you shift. In a car without no-lift shift, when you push the clutch in while holding the gas pedal down your RPMs will zoom up and probably bounce the rev limiter, as the engine is under load while the clutch is engaged in whichever gear, but as soon as the clutch is depressed the engine is in neutral so to speak, and will rev up without load. That's why, when you shift a manual, you let off on the gas while you push the clutch in. Those who've mastered this can shift a manual as smooth or smoother than any automatic transmission in the world. Those who can't get the herky-jerkies.

No-lift essentially lets you cheat, and will turn anyone who isn't a master of shifting into Mario Andretti. All you have to do is keep the gas pedal floored, clutch in and shift at any RPM you want, and the ECM does everything else for you so the RMPs stay and the clutch re-engages smoothly.

Not sure where everyone is getting this bost, NA, DI/non-DI nonsense from. No lift could be incorporated into any car with fuel injection and a throttle position sensor and an ECM. A 1988 Z28 with TPI could have no-lift.
MBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 08:47 PM   #20
fastball
Banned

Quote:
Sorry, when I said FI I meant forced induction, the opposite of NA, naturally aspirated. I guess I thought that would have been clear from context when I said "boost" but, mea culpa. Plus fuel injection is often referred to as EFI. Oh well, updated with clarification.
Oh, sorry, yeah I guess I'm showing my age lol..... and mechanical fuel injection is still very popular at the drag strip. Constant flow fuel injection, no electronics involved at all.
Old 09-29-2015, 09:41 PM   #21
Stex

Drives: 67 goat, 69 goat ram air III
It was common to power shift our muscle cars when drag racing. WOT, stab the clutch and shift. No let up on the WOT. Be very quick and do not miss the shift/gear. No rev limiter then.

Like rev matching, it seems the computer is now tending the store to assure no over rev. or limiter hits.
Stex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 01:14 PM   #22
jaymsu
Yeti's Daddy

Drives: ATS-V, Prowler, M6 V10
Quote:
It seems to me that no-lift-shift goes hand-in-hand with rev matching.

Basically, rev-matching is controlling the RPM while the clutch is pressed, regardless of the throttle pedal position - exactly what no-lift-shift would do.

I would be confident to bet that no-lift-shift will be included with the rev-matching feature.
What you are saying makes sense, but wouldn't they advertise no-lift-shift if it was available? From the beginning, they mentioned Active Rev Matching feature, but I've never seen No Lift Shift being mentioned any where.

I think Nissan 370Z was the first mass produced car with active rev matching, but I don't think they have no lift shift.

If Gen6 comes with no-lift-shift, Great! If not, I can still live without it.
3000: 9/04/15 <TPW:10/19/15>
3800: 10/19/15 <VIN: 117740>
6000: 12/16/15
jaymsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 01:23 PM   #23
joemosfet

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymsu View Post
wouldn't they advertise no-lift-shift if it was available?
I wonder, did GM do much advertisement for it on the 5th gen ZL1 ?
2014 Stingray Premiere Edition Coupe #142/500 Z51 3LT M7 Laguna Blue, Magride, NPP, Exposed Carbon Fiber Roof, Carbon Fiber Dash, Suede Wrapped Interior

Canceled: 2016 Camaro Coupe 1AK37 2SS Coupe, G7E Garnet Red, BRJ Adrenaline Red Trim, F55 Magnetic Ride, NPP Exhaust, CF5 Sunroof, 56R Gray Split spoke w/ machined face, RN2 LPO Illuminated Bowtie, VYW Premium Floor Mats, W2D LPO Cargo Net
Old 09-30-2015, 04:36 PM   #24
Stex

Drives: 67 goat, 69 goat ram air III
So are people here saying they will not be power shifting with out the no lift feature?
Stex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 05:09 PM   #25
joemosfet

I finally had a chance to take a look at the video, does the ATS-V do rev matching or was Randy heel-toe'ing it?

Old 09-30-2015, 06:53 PM   #26
Enders

Drives: 2015 Mustang
As someone who isn't that great at driving a manual yet, I hope the Camaro does have it. Anything to help the transition from driving auto to stick would be great. Then I can turn em off as necessary to get the quintessential manual driving experience.
Enders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 09:35 AM   #27
pdoherty972

Drives: 2013 370Z sports
Quote:
Originally Posted by laborsmith View Post
Seems likely. In the decades I have been buying and modding, I admit rev matching is relatively new to me.
It should be new to you - Nissan only created the technology a few years ago, where it premiered in the 370Z.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synchr...atching_system
pdoherty972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 02:55 PM   #28
garfin
Resident Disciple

Drives: 2010 CTS-V 6MN '98 Camaro SS (Sold)
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...28&postcount=2

Discussion about no-lift shift on the ZL1 in the above video around the 1:36 mark.
Keep in mind that the no-lift shift feature only functions at WOT.

When it's done correctly, it really snaps your head back!

Best regards,

Elie