Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 09-29-2015, 09:16 AM   #15
ChefBorOzzy

Drives: 2016 F150
Mustang GT adds about 100 pounds for the convertible.
ChefBorOzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 09:19 AM   #16
ChefBorOzzy

Boss 302 Strut Tower brace is 8 pounds..
Old 09-29-2015, 09:29 AM   #17
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
55 pounds would be amazing, and again, leaving many out there (you know who you are) in disbelief.

But of course, would be nice to see confirmation on this one way or the other.
Old 09-29-2015, 10:46 AM   #18
BahamaTodd

Drives: 08 Accord V6/M6 / 04 Canyon Z71
What does the 55 lbs actually refer to? Based on the structure diagram above, it depends if its an LT coupe or vert, or SS coupe or vert for how much bracing it has.
BahamaTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 11:02 AM   #19
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by BahamaTodd View Post
What does the 55 lbs actually refer to? Based on the structure diagram above, it depends if its an LT coupe or vert, or SS coupe or vert for how much bracing it has.
I think we can assume its based on trim...no matter LT or SS. Vert gains 55 pounds. That's how I'd look at it at this point.
Old 09-29-2015, 12:10 PM   #20
Curr
Probably doesn't like you

Drives: 2022 WCT ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
I think we can assume its based on trim...no matter LT or SS. Vert gains 55 pounds. That's how I'd look at it at this point.
Agreed as written, this is how I interpret it.

Hopefully it's true, that would be some serious engineering.

Wouldn't really matter, I'll still buy it, however

كافر
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
железобетонное очко
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
There is an unequal amount of good and bad in most things, the trick is to work out the ratio and act accordingly.
Curr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 02:16 PM   #21
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefBorOzzy View Post
Thanks for chiming in from the Mustang forum, fellas. ��
That would be one hell of an engineering feat if the rag top only weighs 55 pounds more than the coupe. That is all I am saying. And with the charts showing all of the extra bracing, I guess it could be only 55 lbs. just seems like thats a lot of extra stuff going on the car and only adding 55 pounds
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 02:38 PM   #22
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Well, the platform could very well be playing a role here. With Zeta, I'm pretty sure that it had to be adapted into a convertible for the Camaro. With Alpha, I'm sure that 'verts were planned from day one. That cuts down on the weight added for making it into a convertible. But that doesn't explain how the Camaro soft top adds a bit less than the Corvettes (or substantially less than the Mustangs) as those cars are also on platforms intended from the start to have a convertible. Who knows, maybe the roof of the 6th gen is extremely heavy for a coupe & thats what there is such a small difference. Its as good an explanation as any.

But I remain very skeptical. I agree with the others that suggest there has been some misinterpreting of the numbers presented or a typo or something. I'd like to be wrong though.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 02:50 PM   #23
ChefBorOzzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
That would be one hell of an engineering feat if the rag top only weighs 55 pounds more than the coupe. That is all I am saying. And with the charts showing all of the extra bracing, I guess it could be only 55 lbs. just seems like thats a lot of extra stuff going on the car and only adding 55 pounds
Hard to figure out. Just have to wait for official numbers and for people to weigh them.

The Vette gains about 60 pounds. No additional bracing so that's just for the convertible top/motor.

Camaro has a bigger roof than Vette so it may have wiggle room as far as weight from coupe to convertible goes.. Or, it could be that the soft top and motor weigh close to what the roof on the coupe Camaro weighs and the additional weight is mostly bracing.

Or it's all a misprint.
Old 09-30-2015, 10:41 PM   #24
NASTY99Z28

Drives: 99z28 with bolt-ons and a mwc fab 9
I'd say misprint. That's just to low of a number. BUT I've been wrong before. (Although we have yet to see real world weights)
Old 10-01-2015, 09:56 AM   #25
Johnman

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1 convertible IOM
I would think the new motorized metal tonneau cover has to mean a weight penalty that wasn't there on the 5th gen, but maybe they offset that in other areas?
Johnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 10:17 AM   #26
G-10

Drives: 2016 Chevy Camaro 2SS
My bet is that the weight of the coupe with a sunroof is the same as the convertible, or maybe 55lbs lighter.
G-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 10:18 AM   #27
Posaune

Drives: Four wheels and an engine
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Well, the platform could very well be playing a role here. With Zeta, I'm pretty sure that it had to be adapted into a convertible for the Camaro. With Alpha, I'm sure that 'verts were planned from day one. That cuts down on the weight added for making it into a convertible. But that doesn't explain how the Camaro soft top adds a bit less than the Corvettes (or substantially less than the Mustangs) as those cars are also on platforms intended from the start to have a convertible. Who knows, maybe the roof of the 6th gen is extremely heavy for a coupe & thats what there is such a small difference. Its as good an explanation as any.

But I remain very skeptical. I agree with the others that suggest there has been some misinterpreting of the numbers presented or a typo or something. I'd like to be wrong though.
There was a convertible ATS in the works. It was shelved for some unknown reason and I have a feeling that is where the ability to open and close at speeds up to 30MPH came from. That seems like a Cadillac/Luxury option more so than a Chevy option.
Posaune is offline   Reply With Quote