Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 12-01-2014, 04:34 PM   #1
Autonaut

Drives: El camino
What's happening GM

GM needs to release something interesting about the camaro soon..

There is hype going on in the ford camp. New Mustang, new gt350 and soon to come 350r, gt and raptor

The ecoboost is a viable performer for those that require less weight and love turbo's more than v8 growl.

The v8 stang with performance pack, although not able to keep up with an "old" 1LE, has a nice interior, IRS, powerful v8 and drives rather well. It's modern.

The gt350 has a flat plane crank! Easily the most exiting news in american v8 history since the LS engines went into production. It's interesting to see how an american made flat plane crank 5.2 liter v8 will do in terms of performance and longevity.

A more radical version of the gt350 will also be revealed soon. Being that the regular gt350 will have equal power to the z28 and most likely weigh less, i dont know what the R version of the gt350 will be able to do. Stripper stang at 3500lbs and 500 horsepower strong? Who knows!

A new GT to compete or surpass the vette and viper?

A raptor?

Possibly more?

What does GM have for their trusted followers so far? A slightly redesigned camaro that looks like the old one. Other than sharing platform with both a heavier CTS and lighter ATS.

We're in the middle of the 2'nd and greatest muscle car war with very few years left before treehuggers will shut it down with regulation. It's not unlikely that these years will be the final breath for affordable gas powered v8 cars. (i)Books will be written about what came out of the Big Three during these years.

I really really want the camaro to succeed. A turbo 4 cylinder 3700lbs slouch with 280 horsepower wont cut it. Neither will a 460hp 3800lbs lt1 v8 camaro be.
I used to be a brand loyalist, but life is short. My choice of cars while being here will no longer be determined by a brand, but whoever delivers the best performance car i can afford now, and in used condition when depreciation sets in further down the road.

Maybe it's just ramblings from a huge car nut spending all my money on stuff i dont need.

What do you think?
Are you also dying to find out more about the camaro considering everything else going on in the automotive world?

Last edited by Autonaut; 12-04-2014 at 11:09 PM.
Autonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 05:10 PM   #2
Red Chief

Drives: 2020 LT1 Black
I think you've been drinking too much Ford Kool Aid.

It sound like you're very impressed with the new Mustang and I'm scratching my head trying to figure out why. Poor styling, boring performance, a detuned V6 and a 4 cylinder. And the GT track pack that got beat by the outgoing 1LE.

It's Ford guys who should be pissed right now and many are. But if you really like the new Mustang... just go get one and be happy.
Red Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 05:16 PM   #3
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Thank God GM is actually being tight lipped about a product for once.

Leaks are nothing but trouble.
Old 12-01-2014, 05:31 PM   #4
Autonaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Chief View Post
I think you've been drinking too much Ford Kool Aid.

It sound like you're very impressed with the new Mustang and I'm scratching my head trying to figure out why. Poor styling, boring performance, a detuned V6 and a 4 cylinder. And the GT track pack that got beat by the outgoing 1LE.

It's Ford guys who should be pissed right now and many are. But if you really like the new Mustang... just go get one and be happy.
Do you have a reading problem Sir?

THIS is the reason im willing to walk away from any of the makes. Fanboyism. I cant stand it. Neither from the GM folks or Ford freaks.. It's so childish.

I already wrote that the 1LE can out pace a new mustang. And a 4 cylinder turbo for people who value other stuff more important than v8 growl.

I just wrote a very detailed post on whats going on, or maybe even the lack thereof. And all you can manage is to tell me to buy a mustang?
Old 12-01-2014, 05:37 PM   #5
1hevy_chevy

Drives: Nightfall Gray 2016 6M 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post

Please tell us there is something worth waiting for on the 2016. Will it be beating the mustakes in more than just streets that run in circles?
We dont need to know specific details just tell us if its even worth the wait! I'm dying to jump on the v8 wagon with my finger on the trigger but holding back until we get some news on this bad girl
1hevy_chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 05:44 PM   #6
Autonaut

Quote:

You could be right being it is nothing but trouble. But what about other makes and models running with all the attention right now? Would it not be better if GM somehow kept the rumour mill going much lile Ford is doing/have been doing for some time now?
Old 12-01-2014, 05:49 PM   #7
Autonaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1hevy_chevy View Post
Please tell us there is something worth waiting for on the 2016. Will it be beating the mustakes in more than just streets that run in circles?
We dont need to know specific details just tell us if its even worth the wait! I'm dying to jump on the v8 wagon with my finger on the trigger but holding back until we get some news on this bad girl
This was my initial thought. The competetion is getting harder and this is the best time ever for muscle cars.

Please GM, let the new camaro be amazing inside and out.
Old 12-01-2014, 06:31 PM   #8
PYROLYSIS
Remember the Charleston 9

Drives: 2004 KME PREDATOR, 2014 2SS/RS/1LE
It's fine for them to let Ford have their fun and then release info when they're ready. The timing of the release of the info and the start of 6th gen sales is more important than the timing in comparison to what other manufacturers are doing.
Old 12-01-2014, 06:46 PM   #9
MBS

Drives: 2010 rs 2lt
Someone needs to take a chill pill> Geez
MBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 07:21 PM   #10
fradaj

Drives: RS
NAIAS starts January 12th, maybe we will find out then. Also I maybe in the minority but I don't particularly like the Mustang interior.
fradaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 07:33 PM   #11
Wizard1183

Drives: ABM SS2/RS M6
Send a message via Yahoo to Wizard1183
Quote:

They must've spoken to Apple on how to shut up about their products hahaa

Life is short, drive it like you stole it!
Wizard1183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 08:55 PM   #12
ilirg

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2ss
I think they are playing their cards wisely, look at Ford, has no idea what GM has up its sleeve so its throwing all their chips on the table with the GT350 Reveal at LA, and now the GT350R, GT, and Raptor rumored to be released at Detroit.
ilirg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 09:11 PM   #13
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilirg View Post
I think they are playing their cards wisely, look at Ford, has no idea what GM has up its sleeve so its throwing all their chips on the table with the GT350 Reveal at LA, and now the GT350R, GT, and Raptor rumored to be released at Detroit.
So to be clear, the GT350 isn't even available until next fall. Ford needed something to go along with the Mustang to go, "see we have a track car too". And by all we can determine from content, it will likely be short of the Z/28 simply for tires and brakes. So to beat the Z/28 will require this "R" package which supposedly does get the CC brakes. Kudos as Ford will likely undercut the Z/28 in price, but not likely the 1LE simply for the cost of the engine.

GT? No big deal here unless Ford can get the price under $100,000, then it something. And again as there are no spy shots of cars running around Ford is either keeping it the biggest secret of all time or it's at least 2 years out.

Raptor? Not my cup of tea. And hopefully they fix the bendable frame. Likely this is simply the aluminum F150 set up for Raptor. The lower weight could be nice, but to do the off road thing will likely just add weight back in. Maybe they give it the GT350 engine???? This is probably the closest to production even likely ahead of the GT350.

So I'm not concerned. I'm more worried about an LT2 powered competitor to the GT350 and 350R. I'm not worried about the Gen6 SS vs. Mustang GT nor am I worried about the LT4 powered Gen 6 ZL1. Covered on both accounts. Just wondering if GM has a NA counterpunch to the GT350...................which will likely launch just after the GT350 LOL
Old 12-01-2014, 09:20 PM   #14
DenverTaco07

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2017 Volt, 2013 Pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilirg View Post
Or...Ford is being a leader. Look at Fords Flat Plane Crank design...GM doesnt have one. Ford is leading the way right now and they are first to market with an updated performance vehicle, and this will give Ford an edge in market share IMO. GM needs to bring it big with the 6th gen.

Personally, I'm not liking the new stang design except gt350 is much nicer and we'll see how it performs, but flat planes are used in super cars, so if they did it right...expect a beast that will draw buyers in the high performance market.

I'm confident Gm will put out a stellar vehicle, but they need to not wait for the sake of waiting vis-a-vis releasing high performance variants....just my 2 cents.
DenverTaco07 is offline   Reply With Quote