Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

AWE Tuning

Old 04-03-2024, 08:40 PM   #1
Camaro Fanatic

Drives: '23 1SS 1LE
SC3 Condition Question (5-6mm deep hole in tread)

Hi all,

This is a tire question but as I'm using these SC3s for tracking and I would prefer to hear from those who actually track their cars and have experience with these tires.

Long story short, I wanted to find a decently priced used set of SC3s to track this year (4 days scheduled) as I get to know the car and improve my driving without worrying about ruining my original set (dated '23, <50 miles on them before I swapped them out for all seasons to daily).
I found a great deal for 4 SC3s take-offs with <5K miles street driving for $400 in the area.
Saw they were dated 34/21 and asked the guy if any had been patched, which he said no and I also verified in person.
Well I missed this huge hole right in the center of one of the front tires (285s) until I got home and started stacking them in the garage.
Note: remaining 3 tires are in great condition.
I immediately checked that the inside face was intact, which it was (see picture) and measured its depth with a pick that I marked with tape (5-6mm).
I've attached various pictures below.

I would like to hear opinions on the integrity of this tire and if you think it's safe to track.
My worry is that it's a front tire which will see much more abuse as I learn to corner and brake.
Would it be better to preemptively patch it somehow? Really don't want to make it worse than it already is.

Feeling pretty discouraged as I really want to save some money down the road by tracking these and preserve my original set for future years.

Appreciate any and all insights.
Thanks
Attached Images

Last edited by Camaro Fanatic; 04-14-2024 at 08:05 PM.
Camaro Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 09:23 PM   #2
wakespeak

Drives: 2020 ZL1 1LE
Thinking fine, in center part of tire (vs side), and in the thick part of the tread. Steel belts in there. Is it holding air? What's the valley distance in the rain groove for comparison (valley floor to wear bar to even with adjoining tread)? The compound is fairly soft and rocks can sink in easily.

I get all kinds of similar with SC3Rs, compound softer. I wear them out to the cords typically. Still sometimes I decide nope, not risking it.
Old 04-03-2024, 10:18 PM   #3
Christian1LE

Drives: 2004 BMW 330CI, 2022 1SS 1LE
I personally would send it but I've tracked a lot worse tires than this. Keep the pressure monitor screen up and periodically check it when you're on the straights.
Christian1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2024, 12:48 AM   #4
Dabjbr

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE
A 5-6mm hole that’s maybe 1-2mm deeper than the tread grooves? If it were me, I’d still drive on them. Many people have successfully driven with corded shoulders which take way more abuse. The center is unlikely to fail catastrophically. If anything, it may break through and cause a slow leak but I doubt it.

As Christian says, check periodically between sessions..
Dabjbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2024, 07:20 AM   #5
WhiteMale

Drives: 23 ZL1 A10 Rapid Blue
Looks like he just picked up a shorty that didn't puncture, seems fine to me based on where it is and the interior looks original and intact.
WhiteMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2024, 08:53 PM   #6
Camaro Fanatic

Appreciate everyone's feedback and insights!
Makes me feel a little better about its condition.
I plan to mount them sometime in the next two weeks and will monitor tire pressures.

I'll try to remember to update this thread after my first track day in late April.
Old 04-12-2024, 10:27 AM   #7
Texan4iu
BLEW BIU

Drives: 2018 2SS 1LE Hyper Blue
Running it may be fine, but remember this, the cost of a tire is much cheaper than the cost of the car. When I'm debating with myself on using consumables such as older tires or brake pads that are near their end of life, I frequently have to remind myself about this. Please keep us posted on how it goes.
Texan4iu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2024, 12:11 PM   #8
Nick S

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro Fanatic View Post
Hi all,

This is a tire question but as I'm using these SC3s for tracking and I would prefer to hear from those who actually track their cars and have experience with these tires.

Long story short, I wanted to find a decently priced used set of SC3s to track this year (4 days scheduled) as I get to know the car and improve my driving without worrying about ruining my original set (dated '23, <50 miles on them before I swapped them out for all seasons to daily).
I found a great deal for 4 SC3s take-offs with <5K miles street driving for $400 in the area.
Saw they were dated 34/21 and asked the guy if any had been patched, which he said no and I also verified in person.
Well I missed this huge hole right in the center of one of the front tires (285s) until I got home and started stacking them in the garage.
Note: remaining 3 tires are in great condition.
I immediately checked that the inside face was intact, which it was (see picture) and measured its depth with a pick that I marked with tape (5-6cm).
I've attached various pictures below.

I would like to hear opinions on the integrity of this tire and if you think it's safe to track.
My worry is that it's a front tire which will see much more abuse as I learn to corner and brake.
Would it be better to preemptively patch it somehow? Really don't want to make it worse than it already is.

Feeling pretty discouraged as I really want to save some money down the road by tracking these and preserve my original set for future years.

Appreciate any and all insights.
Thanks
FYI, that measurement is really 5-6mm not 5-6cm. 10mm = 1cm.
Old 04-12-2024, 03:08 PM   #9
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
send it
Old 04-13-2024, 03:00 PM   #10
NG329

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 1LE
Last weekend I tracked with SC3R and my rear had something similar - in two spots.

Not much different from having cords exposed on a tire when hot lapping.
NG329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2024, 08:10 PM   #11
Camaro Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan4iu View Post
Running it may be fine, but remember this, the cost of a tire is much cheaper than the cost of the car. When I'm debating with myself on using consumables such as older tires or brake pads that are near their end of life, I frequently have to remind myself about this. Please keep us posted on how it goes.
That is very true, my exact mentality with purchasing track day insurance for each of my events. Of course, I hope to never have to use it.
I have a mobile tire installer coming by later this week who has experience with track cars and super cars. I'll ask for his opinion as well. If I do decide to mount them, I will update this thread after my track day next weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick S View Post
FYI, that measurement is really 5-6mm not 5-6cm. 10mm = 1cm.
Good eye, thank you Nick. Fixed. You'd think working in finance I'd be better with numbers.
Old 04-14-2024, 09:06 PM   #12
5.M0NSTER

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Might be worth stopping by Discount Tire or whatever you have around to see if they can fill in the void with molten rubber. You're likely fine, but another $40? Why not.

P.S. I have done a full season (4 track days) with a patched tire before. No one died.
5.M0NSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2024, 05:25 PM   #13
cdrptrks

Drives: 2017 Blue Camaro 1SS 1LE with PDR
Should be fine to track. If it leaks air, have a plug/patch combo installed from the inside of the tire with it dismounted from the wheel and it should be fine to track.

I've tracked on several different Goodyear SC3s each with either plug/patch or internal patch without any issues. I would not track on a plug that's installed with the tire still mounted on the wheel although I did one of those myself once very close to the sidewall on a tire that didn't have much tread remaining and had no issues driving it on the street.
cdrptrks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2024, 08:05 PM   #14
Camaro Fanatic

Quick update after meeting with the mobile tire installer. He said it looked fine and the hole line up with the center steel belt line (like wakespeak pointed out). He put some soapy water on it and no bubbles and it's been holding air since this afternoon. I'll drive around on them in the next few days and monitor.
I'll update the thread after this weekend's track day.
Appreciate everyone taking the time to provide their opinions and insights.