Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 08-11-2013, 08:09 PM   #183
zl1fun

Drives: 2013 ZL1 # 1029 black
Quote:
Originally Posted by yzrider58 View Post
If it did then Michigan is already reaping the benefits of right to work and personal freedom.

???? benefits of right to work state....right to work...for less...with no benefits...is that the personal freedom you speak of??
zl1fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 10:45 AM   #184
DARK AGE 53

Drives: 2010 SS
I retired from the Lansing, Mi. G.M Plant Operations ( Main Plant before the Grand River Plant ), I think I can shed some light on why the Camaro is going to Lansing.

Lets start with why the Oshawa plant got the Camaro in the first, there's several reasons to pick from. The top two reason G.M pulled the Camaro from the St. Therese plant where poor quality and work force to match.......G.M closed there doors and said good riddance to a plant they should have closed years earlier.

G.M has other plans for the Oshawa plant, because the work force there has shown they can build a quality product and also work with G.M they will have plenty of work to do in the future.

The same goes for the Lansing Grand River plant, there work force builds a quality product and also has worked well with G.M for many many years. The workers in the G.R Plant look forward to building you your next Camao with the same pride as the workers in Oshawa Plant do today.

When I started working for G.M ( 1966 ) we were building 442's, W-30's, W-31's and Ram Rods, what a great time for the young workers today at the G.R Plant to remember when they get old like me.

One other thing, to think the right to work law had anything to do with Lansing getting the Camaro is stupid.....the governor of the Michigan might like you to believe it did but that's because he's a stupid man.
Old 09-01-2013, 03:14 PM   #185
danl

Drives: 2013 JSB Camaro 2ss
I too, love my Canadian built 2013 Camaro. The Oshawa plant has achieved one of the most highest rating by JD Powers for least amount of mistakes made on a car, much less a muscle car, like the Camaro. I am American, and an ex-marine, so I love the US, but lets face it, American auto workers in the past have not done too well in terms of quality built vehicles. I am not bashing anyone, or anything, just stating facts. I had a 1990 Camaro z-28, and it was plagued with problems from the GM van nuys Ca plant. Back then, it was constant in the news, they were whining for more money, but quality was worse. Now, since 2010, thru 2013, ( not sure how the last year will pan out, if the Oshawa workers are disgruntled...) we had a real nice, solid, tight, car! No rattles, squeaks, etc...and it was a Camaro!!!
I love my car. I am crazy anxious about the 6th gen. Will I keep the 2013, or wait until its 50th anniversary in 2017, when my car would have been paid off anyways..I hope Americans will take pride in the car returning home to the US again, and not let the unions try to muscle in on them like they always do. Oshawa will survive, but if our younger US work force does drop the ball on this car....We may all regret the move away from the Oshawa plant.
Like I said, I had a 1990, and even the dealer stated that most, if not all, of those issues of that car was related to poor workmanship, and lack of pride at GM van nuys.
And I loved that car, but the 2013 Camaro 2ss simply blows the old z28 away in everything.
Here is hoping the Lansing Team will make each car with the same amount of pride as it was made at Oshawa. The problem with production lines, are cars soon become just another thing going down an endless line, day in day out. If the work force is not dedicated, and mature enough, its easy to slip, and miss things. But eventually, that missed, or slipped car will end up in someone's drive way.....then the pain begins.
danl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 03:57 PM   #186
NASTY99Z28

Drives: 99z28 with bolt-ons and a mwc fab 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by danl View Post
I too, love my Canadian built 2013 Camaro. The Oshawa plant has achieved one of the most highest rating by JD Powers for least amount of mistakes made on a car, much less a muscle car, like the Camaro. I am American, and an ex-marine, so I love the US, but lets face it, American auto workers in the past have not done too well in terms of quality built vehicles. I am not bashing anyone, or anything, just stating facts. I had a 1990 Camaro z-28, and it was plagued with problems from the GM van nuys Ca plant. Back then, it was constant in the news, they were whining for more money, but quality was worse. Now, since 2010, thru 2013, ( not sure how the last year will pan out, if the Oshawa workers are disgruntled...) we had a real nice, solid, tight, car! No rattles, squeaks, etc...and it was a Camaro!!!
I love my car. I am crazy anxious about the 6th gen. Will I keep the 2013, or wait until its 50th anniversary in 2017, when my car would have been paid off anyways..I hope Americans will take pride in the car returning home to the US again, and not let the unions try to muscle in on them like they always do. Oshawa will survive, but if our younger US work force does drop the ball on this car....We may all regret the move away from the Oshawa plant.
Like I said, I had a 1990, and even the dealer stated that most, if not all, of those issues of that car was related to poor workmanship, and lack of pride at GM van nuys.
And I loved that car, but the 2013 Camaro 2ss simply blows the old z28 away in everything.
Here is hoping the Lansing Team will make each car with the same amount of pride as it was made at Oshawa. The problem with production lines, are cars soon become just another thing going down an endless line, day in day out. If the work force is not dedicated, and mature enough, its easy to slip, and miss things. But eventually, that missed, or slipped car will end up in someone's drive way.....then the pain begins.
Not to start an argument but comparing a 3rd gen to a 5th gen quality wise isn't even fair. Heck comparing anything from the early 80's to now isn't fair. I think given the new chassis and technology the next CAMARO will be of high quality. Just as a reference look at the vette it's built here in the states.
Old 09-01-2013, 08:21 PM   #187
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Camaro is going to LGR because it's going on Alpha. Guess what's built at LGR? Alpha-based Cadillac ATS and CTS.

It's a no-brainer.
Old 09-01-2013, 08:57 PM   #188
PAUL SS
The Mark of Excellence

Drives: 2010 ABM 1SS RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
Camaro is going to LGR because it's going on Alpha. Guess what's built at LGR? Alpha-based Cadillac ATS and CTS.

It's a no-brainer.
But will people stop complaining about paint quality?
Old 09-02-2013, 09:52 AM   #189
Bad@ssCamaro
BeckyD Rocks :-)

Drives: 2015 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAUL SS View Post
But will people stop complaining about paint quality?

Bad@ssCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 12:06 PM   #190
oldfriend

Drives: Fiat 500 E
Quote:
Originally Posted by 396ssrat View Post
Robots do not care what country they work in nor do they care what car they build. They do not come to work in a bad mood an they ____>>>>>>_do not get paid overtime.<<<<< The Camaro has alot of robotics involved and they will become more involved as time marches on. Good luck in your next venture Canada. The Camaro will be in good hands as long as GM engineering does it's homework and the bean counters stay away from design.
Didn't know that the robots get pay at all , now I do
oldfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 09:47 PM   #191
ProfArronax

Drives: 2015 2LT-RS AGM 6A
Send a message via Skype™ to ProfArronax
All I can say, is my 2011 Canadian built Camaro has been and continues to be the best, most trouble free car I've ever owned. I've never driven a 6 cylinder powered vehicle that has the JUMP that this little beast does. No rattles, no buzzes, no leaks... Drop her into Sport mode, hit the gas and she's GONE. Well done, GM.
e's just "stock" for the moment...
ProfArronax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 10:34 AM   #192
wakespeak

Drives: 2020 ZL1 1LE
I would say the Oshawa and other Canadian operations were created to work around the health care and pension costs of US workers.

We're past that now as everyone, including GM, builds cars that can be assembled easily, and therefore successfully in terms of quality and consistency, by robots and humans.

The current Camaro's Zeta platform happened to be designed in Australia. The Epsilon platform, the best front drive platform currently, was designed in Germany. It seems US engineering leadership was a miss until recently too.

In the middle of this mess there were bright spots of US leadership that made the Corvette and the Cadillacs world class. The Volt is a very cool product that will help GM balance sales of performance vehicles and trucks.

The Alpha platform was designed under US leadership and looks to be fantastic. Somehow engineers were allowed to actually design a great car platform in the US. This coupled with a cleared stack on the manufacturing side points to a really good competitive position for GM. The next Camaro should be excellent as long as the same guys that brought us the current Camaros and Cadillacs still own the product decisions.
wakespeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 09:33 PM   #193
1chasingspeed

Drives: a6 yellow 2ss/rs
Hope this is true. I want these cars built here where they should be. Now if only we could also open some factories to actually make the parts they're constructed of. Just sayin.
1chasingspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 03:16 AM   #194
OperativeXIV

Drives: 2012 Summit White 2LT/RS
Since production is moving to the US, does anyone think that might mean we could get a factory delivery option? A buyers tour is probably too much to ask...
OperativeXIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 03:07 PM   #195
WATCHER
My Wife's Cool Guy

Drives: 2013 Coupe RS NAVY BLUE
MY GOODNESS!!!!!
a WHOLE LOTTA BLAH, BLAH, BLAH !
(VOLT will be a footnote in history...subsidized by the government, artificial demand created by the same government...who CARES?)

Isn't this a CAMARO site?

What is REALLY significant is the impact that the ATS platform has on the engineering, competence and STYLE of the 2016 CAMARO.

Probably want to look at the ATS COUPE and SQUINT a lot. ;-)
Pretend the headlights are horizontal-ish though. (thank goodness and the stylists)
Cadillac will NOT want you to confuse anything with their (ugly) vertical light theme.

Or haven't you all noticed that while you are arguing about plant location, the underpinnings of the 2016 Camaro are being gently introduced to you via the 2015 ATS COUPE?
WATCHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 08:20 PM   #196
mike@vossen

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by OperativeXIV View Post
Since production is moving to the US, does anyone think that might mean we could get a factory delivery option? A buyers tour is probably too much to ask...
That would be very interesting….
mike@vossen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2016 camaro, 2016 camaro forum, 2016 camaro forums, 2016 chevrolet camaro, 2016 chevy camaro, 2017 camaro, 2017 chevy camaro, 6 gen camaro, 6th gen camaro, 6th gen camaro forum, 6th gen camaro forums, 6th gen camaro info, 6th gen camaro news, 6th gen camaro rumors, 6th gen chevrolet camaro, 6th gen chevy camaro, 6th gen chevy camaro forum, 6th generation camaro, 6th generation camaro info, 6th generation camaro news, 6th generation camaro rumors, 6th generation chevy camaro, camaro 6th gen, camaro 6th generation