Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-15-2023, 05:21 PM   #1
the_danielgarcia

Drives: 2010 V6 Camaro
Smile LT4 Powertrain swap into a 5th gen Camaro.

Now, before I get all the “Just trade in your Camaro” comments, the Camaro I have currently is kind of clapped out and at the end of its life. I was thinking once she’s finally done I can part it out, and start a whole new project on it like purchasing one of those Chevy preformance connect and cruise kits with the powertrain. I’m asking on this forum to see if anyone has any experience doing this? Essentially this Camaro is going to turn into an all out project car soon so any advice would help thanks. I’m looking at the LT4 + 10L90 since this car is already an automatic. Basically I’m going to rebuild this car from the ground up.
the_danielgarcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2023, 08:57 PM   #2
Batmanntexas

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS (2SS)
I say go for it. The LT4/10L90 will be an awesome powertrain for the 5th Gen...

Keep us updated on the progress!!

-Scott

COTW 9/8/14
Batmanntexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2023, 06:24 AM   #3
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
Anything is possible with enough time, money, and experience. I think it would be an interesting swap, but it will be VERY involved. Best of luck to you! Start a build thread so we can watch your progress and see the final result.
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2023, 09:03 AM   #4
gtstorey

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS2,L99, LSA SC
It can be done but you really won't get anywhere that you can't get with an LS other than a 10 speed transmission. I don't think it will be worth the effort, other than to say you did it.

How are you going to integrate all of the instrument & BCM functions into the car.

There haven't been a lot of even making the LS V8 work in the V6 cars and those were a lot of work.

I just looked up the cost for the LT4/transmission C&C and it's almost $30k. No way/ No how will you convince me it's worth that to redo a wore out V6 car. You will be looking at $50k if you do the work yourself. $100k to pay someone to do it.
gtstorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2023, 12:11 PM   #5
ariZona28
Give speed a chance

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2LS, 2015 Camaro Z/28
Maybe if you stumbled upon a totaled 6 gen ZL1 and did a complete transplant. Once again time/cost will be excessive. Don't forget you'll need suspension, brake, differential and probably a host of other small items. I realize folks like to showcase their mechanical and engineering prowess so if you fall into this category (and you have a thick wallet) go for it.
Old 04-17-2023, 06:23 PM   #6
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
I will be following this thread. I have a 2010 and have ordered a 2023 ZL1. But so far, it's not getting built.

So my next best option is building up my beautiful 2010 2SS. I expect that if I put an LT-4 in it, tranny and rear end upgrades will be required.

Unfortunately, in my state, I will have to wait until 2026 until OBD is not part of the annual inspection.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2023, 06:27 PM   #7
Wizard1183

Drives: ABM SS2/RS M6
Send a message via Yahoo to Wizard1183
Your suspension can’t handle that engine much less an LS3. So not only are you have to dump money to get the engine and tranny to work with dash? But upgrading all suspension etc, you basically will have a body of a car and replacing everything else. It’s not worth it. AT ALL. Buy an SS model. Or something if you’re looking to upgrade. These cars are not pre 1985 where there was no computer and you’d swap parts and engines like it was underwear….

Life is short, drive it like you stole it!
Wizard1183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2023, 11:13 PM   #8
morepowerjoe

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro l99
The only way I can see it is going to a holley efi system to make it work.
DSS FX Forged Pistons, Eagle ESP L19 Forged Rods, ARP Head and Main Studs, TSP PRC 260 CNC Ported Heads milled .030, Cometic .040 Head Gaskets, GPI SS3 VVT Camshaft, GM Performance Racing Lifters, CHE Trunnions , Molly Pushrods, Melling 10355HV Oil Pump, Cold Air Inductions CAI, Fast LSXR Intake Manifold, Nick Williams 103 TB, TSP 1 7/8" Longtubes with 3" TSP Exhaust, ZL1 Fuel Pump, Mishimoto Radiator, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, Tru Cool 40k Tranny Cooler, 3600 Circle D Converter, Fluid Dynamics Balancer

Build Thread https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=609817
morepowerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2023, 06:49 AM   #9
CamaroCracka

Drives: 2010 Turbo LS3
I'm all about doing things others won't even think about and if the LT4 if your thing, go for it. Nonetheless, the idea of swapping in crate packages is that it's simpler and more reliable. I think you will lose that doing it to a V6 car. If you look at it like you're starting with a body-in-white chassis and building a full on race car, you might be on the right track. Personally, if I were doing something like that, I would go LSX or even BBC with a solid rear axle. There is a lot more aftermarket support for those platforms.

Specifically on the diff and suspension, V6 or V8 does not really matter as you will need something stronger and the cradle is basically the same. Figure out what diff you want to go with, what the purpose of the car will be, e.g. 1/4 mile, mile, autox, road course, and choose your shocks, springs and bars accordingly.

Note, when you tread where others won't, you will inevitably ask yourself why you did it when things aren't working. I've had both success and failure on those sorts of endeavors. In hindsight, if I had known they were coming out with a ZL1 in 2012, I would have waited to buy my Gen5 and avoided a lot of work. Of course, I would not have been able to avoid breaking an axle and would probably be looking for replacement magnetic shocks too.

2011 Vert - 416/w 230/236 .612/.602 115lsa, 1LE suspension w/32mm rear bar. Z28 diff. ZL1 brakes.
CamaroCracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2023, 04:19 PM   #10
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
This is doable. The issue is engine/trans management, while keeping full gauges and nannies. It would be easy enough to ditch the OEM systems and go aftermarket with Holly Terminator X and a screen, but then you lose all OEM functionality. I know I am vastly simplifying things here.

I dream of the day that the 5th gen starts getting successful LT platform swaps. Especially when it comes to the 8L/10L trans platforms. Most people will say it isn't worth it, since the LS can get comparable performance numbers and for cheaper. But the transmission improvements on the automatic side has been a game changer really. I would ditch this 6L80 in a second.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2023, 04:45 PM   #11
Aqua Blue RS/SS

Drives: ABM #93
I’d love to see this come together… subd. It’s gonna be very pricey and a lot of work but if you pull it off it will be cool.
ABM #2399 2SS/RS:SOLD
ABM #93 2SS/RS Black Rally stripes, Titanium Interior 4,000 miles: GM GFX side skirts and diffuser waiting on paint, GM dovetail, GM heritage, RPI ZL1 style splitter.
‘87 IROC-Z Iroc blue. all original unmolested with 50K miles.
Aqua Blue RS/SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2023, 04:22 PM   #12
Wizard1183

Drives: ABM SS2/RS M6
Send a message via Yahoo to Wizard1183
Quote:
Originally Posted by InFiD3ViL View Post
This is doable. The issue is engine/trans management, while keeping full gauges and nannies. It would be easy enough to ditch the OEM systems and go aftermarket with Holly Terminator X and a screen, but then you lose all OEM functionality. I know I am vastly simplifying things here.

I dream of the day that the 5th gen starts getting successful LT platform swaps. Especially when it comes to the 8L/10L trans platforms. Most people will say it isn't worth it, since the LS can get comparable performance numbers and for cheaper. But the transmission improvements on the automatic side has been a game changer really. I would ditch this 6L80 in a second.
6L80 transmission is crap because the first downfall of that transmission was the torque converter. Just buy an upgrade kit and watch YouTube video on dismantling it and beefing it up yourself.

Life is short, drive it like you stole it!
Wizard1183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2023, 11:52 AM   #13
gen=5

Drives: 13 ZL1 vert blac fastlane/LPE 750
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtstorey View Post
It can be done but you really won't get anywhere that you can't get with an LS other than a 10 speed transmission. I don't think it will be worth the effort, other than to say you did it.

How are you going to integrate all of the instrument & BCM functions into the car.

There haven't been a lot of even making the LS V8 work in the V6 cars and those were a lot of work.

I just looked up the cost for the LT4/transmission C&C and it's almost $30k. No way/ No how will you convince me it's worth that to redo a wore out V6 car. You will be looking at $50k if you do the work yourself. $100k to pay someone to do it.
Lt4’s are about 10k with 30k miles or less ,trans about 2-3 both with controllers/ecu’s/ecms but your correct while it might sound cool,you can just drop a Maggie on a LS & have more power with one big mod ..
Old 07-29-2023, 01:20 PM   #14
PaulsSS

Drives: 15SS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_danielgarcia View Post
Now, before I get all the “Just trade in your Camaro” comments, the Camaro I have currently is kind of clapped out and at the end of its life. I was thinking once she’s finally done I can part it out, and start a whole new project on it like purchasing one of those Chevy preformance connect and cruise kits with the powertrain. I’m asking on this forum to see if anyone has any experience doing this? Essentially this Camaro is going to turn into an all out project car soon so any advice would help thanks. I’m looking at the LT4 + 10L90 since this car is already an automatic. Basically I’m going to rebuild this car from the ground up.
Anything is possible and i've built a few franken cars-trucks but you have no idea what you are facing. Getting the engine and trans in and running is the easy part. Getting everything else in the car working WOW I don't think its possible unless you go everything old school. In my state you couldn't do it because it must have the original engine and ALL emission equipment in place even if they don't work. Visual inspection.
PaulsSS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
#v8swap #gen5lt #powertrainswap