Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 11-16-2011, 01:42 PM   #505
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by big boss View Post
OK! GUYS,ZL1, will be very nice cars,BUT i have too say,those cars wil be at a slitely
disadvantage,with some of the 2010,2011, allready running 600,700,800 hp at rear wheels. SO, do I SPEND 60k OR do I upgread. Thats my question
Very good question and one worthy of a serious answer.

The ZL1 is a well balanced automobile. Everything is engineered to work together to create a driver's car that delivers an experience greater than the sum of the parts. The MR is far more than a soft / hard switch. It is fully integrated into the ECM and BCM for over the top function. It is a very, very good car

If you have a non-ZL1 can you get more bang for the buck with a range of upgrades? Possibly.

Can a SS out perform a ZL1 with the right upgrades? Yes.
  • A SS with heads, cam and tune will put down a lot of power for a modest sum and live a long time on track.
  • The CTS-V front brake upgrade takes care of the brakes on a budget.
  • Headers and light weight exhaust help with balance.
  • A Pedders Justice suspension allows you to set the car lower than the ZL1 which is highly desirable on track. Independent bound and rebound allow you to manually set your 5th Gen up for drag launches or corner carving. Dialed in, we belive it can deliver more on track in the hands of an extremely qualified driver.
  • Ultra-light 19x10.5 inch wheels are a clear advantage over stock on the SS or ZL1. Bridgestone RE-11 305/30/19/XLs are the tire of choice.
  • How far do we want to go? A hoop style bar with a five point harness is a required mod for a modified SS or a ZL1. Lighter weight driving seats save weight in both a SS or ZL1.
  • The aftermarket sway bar companies have already dialed in bar rates for the old style in board sway bar mounting position. If we choose we can swap out the rear lower control arms for the FE4 soon to be ZL1 more efficient out board mounting points and a sway bar upgrade.
A SS with these mods is exactly what many would consider to be a Z/28. How much would you save over a ZL1 is questionable. These mods do not come cheap. Which car would be better is a fair question. What I do know is BOTH would be awesome automobiles.

Then there is the L/28 by Lingenfelter that takes Camaro performance to what many thought would be impossible. Is an L/28 faster than a ZL1? I damn well better be and by a very large margin.

Last edited by JusticePete; 11-16-2011 at 01:53 PM. Reason: Typo
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 01:56 PM   #506
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
OK! GUYS,ZL1, will be very nice cars,BUT i have too say,those cars wil be at a slitely
disadvantage,with some of the 2010,2011, allready running 600,700,800 hp at rear wheels. SO, do I SPEND 60k OR do I upgread. Thats my question
Suspension and the right tires is the key. Everything else is gravy. No way I'd spend 60k on a car when I can get the same from an SS and save 10k or so. 'The Same' meaning I anything I would not notice the difference on.

Of course there are some things you can't get on your SS that the ZL1 offers. Such as MR but most will never drive them to the point of noticing a difference. You can have 100+ more horse power, 150 more tourque and a suspension that's just fine for 10k less that the ZL1. If you're a seious racer and will track your car a lot I'd get the ZL1 and see how to even improve on it.

If you just want a fast car to play with, mod up an SS for much cheaper.

But this is just my opinion. And I'm obviously a tad biased having an attachment to my car.

Listen to Pete on this one.
Old 11-16-2011, 02:01 PM   #507
big boss

Drives: Imp.blue, tuned,cold air,magfl,
Dealer! SPOKE with me about upgrade to a GM Superchager LS9, the same SC fits LS3
THEY WILL WARRANTY THE SC, and my car lose no warranty. And they'll do everthing
including tune. SO, I go from 426 plus to 150 on top of that, wil put me somewhere
around 576 plus, whatever else they don't know. I'll have to beef up my rear end, with
some nice stuff, buts that ok. BAME I'M IN THERE!!! 8600.00 PLUS TAX.
big boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 02:05 PM   #508
Dans ls1

Drives: 1998 TA
They need to make a Z28 model priced inbetween the SS and ZL1...I mean this car is priced more towards the wealth and not the average Joe. In my personal opinion, I'd rather by an SS and put a blower on it and get better results.
Dans ls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 02:13 PM   #509
Lee9710

Drives: 2013 Summit White ZL1
Send a message via Yahoo to Lee9710
Let's look at the Shelby this way........my SS auto with just headers, CAI, tune, better axles (just for my own piece of mind), and some Nittos would run with the stock GT500. Was pretty much a drivers race at the track and that car easily had what.......80 RWHP on me. The 580 and 556 will def be enough to handle the 13 Shelby. Then add all the goodies on the ZL1....no brainer. I won't get one since I have heavily modded my SS to around 800 at the crank, but the Z will have no problem.

Proud Owner of the baddest Camaro ever built
ZL1
Lee9710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 02:14 PM   #510
PYROLYSIS
Remember the Charleston 9

Drives: 2004 KME PREDATOR, 2014 2SS/RS/1LE
I'm impressed with all the numbers I've seen today. I gotta say, I was thinking a base price in the 60s so 55k isn't too bad. Disappointed that the performance numbers are from a rolling start though, not bad numbers, just don't like the cheating cause those numbers will be thrown around as gospel till the magazines start testing them and we get our hands on them.
Old 11-16-2011, 02:15 PM   #511
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Dealer! SPOKE with me about upgrade to a GM Superchager LS9, the same SC fits LS3
THEY WILL WARRANTY THE SC, and my car lose no warranty. And they'll do everthing
including tune. SO, I go from 426 plus to 150 on top of that, wil put me somewhere
around 576 plus, whatever else they don't know. I'll have to beef up my rear end, with
some nice stuff, buts that ok. BAME I'M IN THERE!!! 8600.00 PLUS TAX.
It's the same block I beleive. TVS2300 Magnacharger. Fits ALL LS engines I think.

For them to do the work and warranty it is amazing to me. Every dealer here in Bama will RUN from it.
Old 11-16-2011, 02:19 PM   #512
Brianskeet
Brianskeet

Drives: RJTC 1SS RS L99
The ZL1 is an absolutely awesome car and I would love to have one, but unfortunately I'm an active duty military working guy. So I'll slowly add a few mods to my SS and love driving it.
ARH 1 7/8 coated LT, High flows, Corsa L99 exhaust, Vmax CNC throttle body, Elite Engineering catch can and tunnel brace, C.A.I. Apex Washer relocation and scoop, Janetty Tune, MSD wires, DEI heat shields, RB rotors and pads, Mike the powder coater calipers, pedders lines, Forgestar F14's, Gorilla nutz, MTI spoiler finished by Gary, Gary's Customz Bow Ties, Side Markers and Tails tinted, Bezels matte black, Badges deleted, Windows Tinted, AAC DRL P13W lights, AAC tinted LED reverse lights, AAC LED interior lights, RPI match painted DRL Bezels, Lis plate frame, Lloyds mats
Brianskeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 02:24 PM   #513
Z4MB

Drives: 2012 ZL1 #272, 00 GTP, 00 Silverado
Is there a good reason GM cant add a dealer installed pully upgrade kit to the options list. The car would still be "stock" and allow the dealer to certify the work, add it to the warranty information on the car and boost the HP without re-engineering the car. I am sure it is not quite that easy for GM without testing the car under various boost options but it is worth consideration. They probably already have all the spec needed when deciding on the blower configuration.

On my 2000 GTP the pully kit added 20+ HP and it made a pretty noticable difference. I have 80k miles on the car and no problems at all.

They could offer it in one or more HP versions and charge accordingly based on warranty impact. Maybe they can bolt on 25, 50 or even 70 HP at the dealer. They can easily come up with a revised tuning spec for the dealers and keep the car under warranty....... Assuming the engine and supercharger can handle the boost.

Any thoughts? Is it possible that for a few bucks it can easily be over 600HP. it might not even need to be 650HP to make the difference.

It is certainly something they could pull off by the time the car starts shipping.
Z4MB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 02:24 PM   #514
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianskeet View Post
The ZL1 is an absolutely awesome car and I would love to have one, but unfortunately I'm an active duty military working guy. So I'll slowly add a few mods to my SS and love driving it.
You'll love it. Biggest investment at one time will be a blower but the rest is mod as you go freindly.

THe ZL1 is a seriously bad ass car and will take a lot to equal it but I can't afford 60k either. And there are things that I won't get til I have to. Axles, rear end, etc.................
Old 11-16-2011, 02:29 PM   #515
Hoss

Drives: 2004GMC Extended Cab
The Zl1 should be listed as the 2013 model! The automotive car year is half over! Yes I want one!
Old 11-16-2011, 02:34 PM   #516
PQ
Booooosted.

Any way you slice it the times and performance this car is claiming is pretty amazing on stock tires and wheels.
Old 11-16-2011, 02:37 PM   #517
Lee9710

Drives: 2013 Summit White ZL1
Send a message via Yahoo to Lee9710
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicolasKL View Post
Your logic makes no sense whatsoever, unless you're talking about a ZL1 with Nittos running against a stock GT500, which is stupid.
Stock GT500s here have run anywhere from 12.5 to 12.0. With just the basic bolt ons I ran there too in my SS. I don't care what numbers look like. I was in the car driving and have timeslips and video. I was there. I have beaten them and they me. Camaro=better car....And of course someone that drives a Ford would comment on this....

Proud Owner of the baddest Camaro ever built
ZL1
Lee9710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 02:59 PM   #518
s/c ss

Drives: 13 ZL1, 10 Silverado LTZ, Chopper
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shurenuff View Post
Then why is a $950 payment to you an eye opener, especially when you claim to put additional money towards your monthly payment to pay off the loan quicker? And if you don't do that, you'll be upside down on your car for a very long time, still paying gap insurance, and paying thousands extra in juice over the terms of the loan.

Sounds to me like you're living outside your means, but hey, you're not alone. Sadly, it's becoming the American way. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
And let me reiterate again how ignorant you sound. It's none of your business how others arrange their payments or what their means of living is. Especially people you don't even know. So, S.T.F.U!

Tags
2012 camaro zl1 msrp, 2012 camaro zl1 price, 2012 zl1 msrp, 2012 zl1 price, 2013 camaro zl1 price, 2013 zl1 price, camaro zl1 msrp, camaro zl1 price, camaro zl1 pricing, zl1 msrp, zl1 price, zl1 pricing