Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-10-2019, 10:39 PM   #29
Tajefe Couple

Drives: Never just fly under the radar
You are correct except Scotch is Whisky, no e and made with barley in Scotland. Bourbon is whiskey made usually primarily with corn. In Ireland they make whiskey with single and triple malted barley however. In the end they all get the job done.
Sorry way off topic now and I'm to blame!
Old 04-11-2019, 01:29 AM   #30
Da Mammer

Drives: 2010 camaro SS... shell...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tajefe Couple View Post
You are correct except Scotch is Whisky, no e and made with barley in Scotland. Bourbon is whiskey made usually primarily with corn. In Ireland they make whiskey with single and triple malted barley however. In the end they all get the job done.
what did we learn here today people?
LSX454=bad
adultahol=good
Old 04-11-2019, 06:24 AM   #31
J Rod

Drives: '14 BRM 1LE 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Mammer View Post
I bought the car brand new in 2010 and in 9 years I've driven it 1 year that I didn't have to dump money into it. not this year. not this time. I just... can't.
Yea like when you had to buy a 454? You sound like me when I tell my wife that I need to buy something for my car.

"It's not a lie if you believe it to be true" - George Costanza
J Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 08:34 AM   #32
bkevind

Drives: 2013 2SS RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Bound View Post
Bourbon and scotch are whiskey.
True. I guess when I specify whiskey by itself I'm thinking of rye.
Rye, Bourbon, Scotch all taste very different.

Then the whole Tennessee Whiskey vs Bourbon thing...something to do with charcoal filtering.

Whatever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tajefe Couple View Post
Too complicated...pour me something good and let's talk about cars and women haha.
Forgestar CF-5 19x11
bkevind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 08:38 AM   #33
Da Mammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Rod View Post
Yea like when you had to buy a 454? You sound like me when I tell my wife that I need to buy something for my car.

"It's not a lie if you believe it to be true" - George Costanza
in case you missed it. my stock motor was hydrolocked with only 20couple thousand miles on the car when it was 2 years old. so I had a 42k car that was paid off with no engine.
Old 04-11-2019, 09:00 AM   #34
J Rod

Drives: '14 BRM 1LE 2SS/RS
Quote:
in case you missed it. my stock motor was hydrolocked with only 20couple thousand miles on the car when it was 2 years old. so I had a 42k car that was paid off with no engine.
Oops, yea I guess I did miss that.
J Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 09:08 AM   #35
bkevind

Drives: 2013 2SS RS 1LE
Threads like this make me nervous. My car is in the shop to have the perfectly fine LS3 replaced by a 468 (sleeved 5.3 etc). I trust the shop but...how did I get talked into this haha.

All I wanted initially was a cam/heads package.
Forgestar CF-5 19x11

Last edited by bkevind; 04-11-2019 at 04:51 PM.
bkevind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 12:33 PM   #36
Da Mammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Rod View Post
Oops, yea I guess I did miss that.
makes for an awesome bedside night stand and lamp.. expensive sob though
Attached Images

Old 04-11-2019, 04:39 PM   #37
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
Basically you just have some hard luck, a quick refresh /check of the block and re ring and it should be good to go but your having ls7 head problems and a aftermarket solution is what you most likely are going to have to do and there are several good head makers out there ;;to not leak down oil / not be garbage and not get worn and have good oiling for a iron block resleeve-able 454 lsx that in theory should last and last over time.

MAST being one, you could talk to varied vendors like GPI, Jannetty, Livernois, Lingenfelter, TSP, BTR, etc etc for a option to build with different heads...… I know money is tight your just unlucky right now and that sucks. SO good luck to you!, checking out bores, checking bearings etc and a mild refresh should in theory get you on the road but it has to be done up right and if your not confident in the builders...…that's messed up.........….

And your heads should be altered to perfect or else...those pistons are filthy from the amount of oil slopped in the bore big time as you know, I cant see the rings in the pic but hey it should not have had to be torn down as you know

Well throwing good money after bad is tough..... I would wait definitely though to make sure its done by the best around and not burning oil or not broken in right...… the Rings of course have to be right on with the oil rings assembled right and the compression rings with out a big gap and to the specs of the bore. I would talk to these guys about this and the best local machine shop and tuner also close to you if you don't research them yourself. Here you Go; https://gwatneyperformance.com/produ...d-valve-guides Good Luck from a old Grunt named Hardluck in the Army.

I have bought Aftermarket Dart heads before last set I did was Iron Eagles and they had a problem with their concentric valve grinding machine and the damn heads came not even finished and leaked down like crazy as they never got ground and they sent them that way and I installed them, and then had to remove them when it would not run and I went WTF..... And send them at my cost to Dart who did send me some gaskets and a friggin t-shirt.... with the now properly done up heads I had to reinstall on a 406..... Just one example of hardluck…. crap happens.... sometimes more than once. It how you get back up eventually on the horse that matters.

Last edited by christianchevell; 04-11-2019 at 05:04 PM.
christianchevell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 06:15 PM   #38
Da Mammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by christianchevell View Post
Basically you just have some hard luck, a quick refresh /check of the block and re ring and it should be good to go but your having ls7 head problems and a aftermarket solution is what you most likely are going to have to do and there are several good head makers out there ;;to not leak down oil / not be garbage and not get worn and have good oiling for a iron block resleeve-able 454 lsx that in theory should last and last over time.

MAST being one, you could talk to varied vendors like GPI, Jannetty, Livernois, Lingenfelter, TSP, BTR, etc etc for a option to build with different heads...… I know money is tight your just unlucky right now and that sucks. SO good luck to you!, checking out bores, checking bearings etc and a mild refresh should in theory get you on the road but it has to be done up right and if your not confident in the builders...…that's messed up.........….

And your heads should be altered to perfect or else...those pistons are filthy from the amount of oil slopped in the bore big time as you know, I cant see the rings in the pic but hey it should not have had to be torn down as you know

Well throwing good money after bad is tough..... I would wait definitely though to make sure its done by the best around and not burning oil or not broken in right...… the Rings of course have to be right on with the oil rings assembled right and the compression rings with out a big gap and to the specs of the bore. I would talk to these guys about this and the best local machine shop and tuner also close to you if you don't research them yourself. Here you Go; https://gwatneyperformance.com/produ...d-valve-guides Good Luck from a old Grunt named Hardluck in the Army.

I have bought Aftermarket Dart heads before last set I did was Iron Eagles and they had a problem with their concentric valve grinding machine and the damn heads came not even finished and leaked down like crazy as they never got ground and they sent them that way and I installed them, and then had to remove them when it would not run and I went WTF..... And send them at my cost to Dart who did send me some gaskets and a friggin t-shirt.... with the now properly done up heads I had to reinstall on a 406..... Just one example of hardluck…. crap happens.... sometimes more than once. It how you get back up eventually on the horse that matters.
ill get back on the horse but I'm tired of doing it every year. one of these days imma shoot the damn horse. the heads are fixed and good to go, but now it's the bottom end. I have a builder picked out and it sure as hell isn't GM..
Old 04-11-2019, 07:57 PM   #39
Roader

Drives: Camaro
Lot of good shops out in Texas. When comes time for mine will look at Thompson or h squared
Roader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2023, 01:23 AM   #40
gen=5

Drives: 13 ZL1 vert blac fastlane/LPE 750
Quote:
well peeps, as much as I hate saying it, I'm gonna. I've bought my last chevy product for a very long while. a few years back I had the unfortunate event of hydrolocking my ls3 and decided I wanted an awesome motor. I bought a Gmpp crate LSX454 and it's been a downhill mudslide since. the FIRST 454 I got burned oil. after a year and odd change time I finally got GM to replace it under warranty. to no ones surprise the valve guides were bad, and the wiggle test showed why GM is being sued by the corvette guys(God I hope the vette guys win and I can get a slice of the pie). upon receiving my SECOND 454, I was told my warranty (2year/50k miles) would not renew but instead I would only have the remaining of the original 2 yr/50k from when I bought the first one. I had 1 month left.. ran fine for that month. 1,000 miles on engine number 2 you could hear the valve train straight ***** rattle as it idled. so I tore the heads off and low and behold another set of ls7 woes. for GM stating that only 3% of LS7 heads had this issue it's pretty crappy to receive 4 out of 4 like that. my valves were worn and blued. great. (slice number 2?). so there was a few grand outta my wallet on my second 454 engine. so since then the valve train sounds great no problems but it still burned oil. did I say burn? I meant drank it like an Irishman with whiskey. 7.5 quarts in 1500 miles. so I finally got around to taking it out. the hone job is attrocious, that nice little lsx coat job on the pistons? gone. the rings are shot and my engine builder says the cylinders are out of round?! I called GMPP and of course they've never heard of an unlucky sob like me having any problems with their precious LSX454 but low and behold I've found 2 of these glorious piles of $#! +
is GM willing to help me? of course not. so here I am, trying to figure out how the hell I'm going to afford yet another motor. I'm deeply saddened by chevys lack of QC here. I just bought a really fancy, expensive paperweight. you can read to me all you want about about cnc machined and deck plate honed bla bla bla but the 225lb chunk of iron in my living room instead of my car begs to differ. do yourselves a favor and don't buy one.

I know this is a old posting but I bought a LSX454 when they first came out, and it sat for two yrs, lol as I was building and buying parts for a total rotisserie on a FBODY , TA , but the divorce cause everything to be sold off..the first thing the new owner did was pull the heads and fix that issue just incase which I had planned on doing to, as I’d bought some updates for it too., although he also ported the heads and installed a massive cam and bumped the compression up.
So my question to you is or would of been at the time why on earth didn’t you just pull the heads and spend maybe 600-700 bucks and have a bullet proof beast instead of chancing it..no manufacture is perfect, every car on the mark has had failures and recalls, it’s just part of anything that’s manufactured..

The reason if your wondering why I even care now, is because I’m in the market again as I’m considering buying a 2nd gen TA and doing a LSX 454,455 swap..
If I missed anything I apologize as I didn’t read your whole post..
Old 06-15-2023, 12:44 PM   #41
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
wait...wut?im part irish but i prefer the devils lettuce...
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2023, 04:50 PM   #42
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
Good thing he didn't say something like, "drank more Bud Light than Dylan Mulvaney when he had an X and Y chromosome!" Then he'd really be asking for it.