Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 03-02-2022, 01:39 PM   #15
Vtor_ZL1
Who Needs to KNOW?

Drives: 18 ZLE
Enjoy it while you can. 99.99% of the time cars are depreciation asset.. liability if you wish.

Are you in the NY/NJ/PA/CT region? Join us for autox fun at MetLife Stadium. HUGE lots, tons of runs.

http://www.motorsportsne.com/
Vtor_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 01:41 PM   #16
JBones81

Drives: 22 ZL1, 18 RS3, 22 M3P
Here in the Bay Area, electric cars are everywhere. Yesterday as I walked through my neighborhood, I realized that every 4th home on average has a Tesla. Every 3rd home has an electric car. I know that we're different here and we have Tesla near by, but if this trend continues East across the country, it will be interesting to see how the infrastructure has to change to accommodate it.

I wouldn't mind the change if all the electric cars were still slow like Priuses, and us remaining gas-powered sports car guys still had all the fun, but the Teslas are really f'ing fast. Plus now we have the Lucids coming out, and cars like the Mustang Mach-E GT which are pretty quick. Don't forget about all the really high performance EVs like the Rimac, Porsche Taycan, Lotus evija and all the rest. It does seem like the writing is on the wall. I'm sure it won't happen overnight, but I'd be shocked if we got to 2040 and we still saw mostly gas powered cars everywhere. I'll enjoy my corn fed RS3 and soon the 91octane zl1 for as long as I can, but even the wife now says her next car will be an electric one.
Instagram - @JBsCars
JBones81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 02:29 PM   #17
Mark R

Drives: 2018 ZL-1
Yikes. This is being force-fed on the population as a whole. I can see the usefulness of EVs in big cities, where distances are short, and the emphasis is placed on lower air pollution rather than long distance. I can see that electrification is useful for local daily delivery vehicles, busses, etc.

But the all-out assault on internal combustion cars that use fossil fuel, a resource that has an incredibly efficient and robust production, refinement, and delivery infrastructure that has been built up for 150 years, is stupid and wasteful. Oil extraction and refining is not going away. Liquid fuels simply cannot be substituted with electric in rural, construction, and farming applications, so gas will always be available. It might be a pain in the ass to get, but that will be the price you pay to drive your classic ZL-1.
Mark R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 03:12 PM   #18
RealG

Drives: 2024 2SS
Here’s a big surprise. The people who invested in them and own them think they’ll be worth more in the future. People who did not, think they’ll be less valuable in the future.
Do you see a pattern.
RealG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 03:44 PM   #19
JBones81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark R View Post
Yikes. This is being force-fed on the population as a whole. I can see the usefulness of EVs in big cities, where distances are short, and the emphasis is placed on lower air pollution rather than long distance. I can see that electrification is useful for local daily delivery vehicles, busses, etc.

But the all-out assault on internal combustion cars that use fossil fuel, a resource that has an incredibly efficient and robust production, refinement, and delivery infrastructure that has been built up for 150 years, is stupid and wasteful. Oil extraction and refining is not going away. Liquid fuels simply cannot be substituted with electric in rural, construction, and farming applications, so gas will always be available. It might be a pain in the ass to get, but that will be the price you pay to drive your classic ZL-1.
I agree that gas will always be available...at least for many years to come. It may just be super expensive or difficult to obtain for passenger vehicles.

I disagree that this is being forced on anyone, though. The market is definitely there. It may not seem like it to people like us who love internal combustion vehicles, but we are the minority. The majority of car owners don't really care about what is powering their cars as long as it is reliable and effective. I have way more friends who couldn't care less about cars as anything more than transportation than I do "car-guy" friends. So, if we figure out the best way to power these cars and make it easy for them to operate, Americans will overwhelmingly switch to electric. Hopefully there will still be guys like us running around in 60s muscle cars to 90s imports, to 2000s high horsepower muscle and exotics so the roads aren't too boring and quiet
Instagram - @JBsCars
Old 03-02-2022, 04:00 PM   #20
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBones81 View Post
I agree that gas will always be available...at least for many years to come. It may just be super expensive or difficult to obtain for passenger vehicles.

I disagree that this is being forced on anyone, though. The market is definitely there. It may not seem like it to people like us who love internal combustion vehicles, but we are the minority. The majority of car owners don't really care about what is powering their cars as long as it is reliable and effective. I have way more friends who couldn't care less about cars as anything more than transportation than I do "car-guy" friends. So, if we figure out the best way to power these cars and make it easy for them to operate, Americans will overwhelmingly switch to electric. Hopefully there will still be guys like us running around in 60s muscle cars to 90s imports, to 2000s high horsepower muscle and exotics so the roads aren't too boring and quiet
Force is being applied through manufacturers via EPA mandates. The only reason ICE isn't viable for them anymore is because of the increasingly unattainable mpg and emission targets.

There certainly is a demand and nobody opposes that, electric cars have their completely valid uses.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 04:36 PM   #21
JBones81

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
Force is being applied through manufacturers via EPA mandates. The only reason ICE isn't viable for them anymore is because of the increasingly unattainable mpg and emission targets.

There certainly is a demand and nobody opposes that, electric cars have their completely valid uses.
I see what you're saying. Still, I think it's a direction we have to go since the planet is so messed up right now. We just need to figure out a way to do it without still hurting the environment. Otherwise, it doesn't really make sense
Instagram - @JBsCars
Old 03-02-2022, 04:46 PM   #22
TXCSSU
Account Suspended

Drives: 2022 ZL1 M6/Nissan Leaf
I'm sure a lot of guys that lived through the era in the 80s when "performance cars" were relatively gutless compared to their 60s counterparts are enjoying this. Some of those "turds" are popping up and collectors are still eager to get into these vehicles even though the performance is bested by even the slowest of today's cars.

Quote:
1984 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 5.0L V-8 High Output automatic (aut. 4) (model since September 1983 for North America U.S.) car specifications & performance data review

1984 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 5.0L V-8 High Output automatic (aut. 4) .
Specs datasheet with technical data and performance data plus an analysis of the direct market competition of Chevrolet Camaro Z28 5.0L V-8 High Output automatic (aut. 4) in 1984, the model with 3-door hatchback coupe body and V-8 5001 cm3 / 305.2 cui, 141.5 kW / 192 PS / 190 hp (SAE net) of power, 325 Nm / 240 lb-ft of torque, 4-speed automatic powertrain offered since September 1983 for North America U.S.. According to the ProfessCars™ estimation this Chevrolet would accelerate 0-60 mph in 7.9 sec, 0-100 km/h in 8.4 sec, 0-200 km/h in 51.7 sec and quarter mile time is 16.1 sec. This car is 4770 mm / 187.8 in long, 1849 mm / 72.8 in wide and 1270 mm / 50 in high. Check the tables below for detailed outside and inside dimensions, output, fuel economy and performance data. Specs review by Pawel Zal.

If the only value you see out of your car is based on its performance, I have some bad news for you, there will always be something quicker, faster, stronger. Hell, a new EV truck will scoot from 0-60 faster than most Camaros out on the road today.

https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/2...60-mph-review/

Quote:
The all-terrain-tired R1T was up first. It launched from 0 to 60 mph in just 3.2 seconds and covered the quarter mile in 11.7 seconds at 111.2 mph. The street-tired R1T was unsurprisingly even quicker, rocketing to 60 mph in a staggering 3.1 seconds and through the quarter in 11.6 at 110.8.
TXCSSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 09:00 PM   #23
JBones81

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXCSSU View Post
I'm sure a lot of guys that lived through the era in the 80s when "performance cars" were relatively gutless compared to their 60s counterparts are enjoying this. Some of those "turds" are popping up and collectors are still eager to get into these vehicles even though the performance is bested by even the slowest of today's cars.

If the only value you see out of your car is based on its performance, I have some bad news for you, there will always be something quicker, faster, stronger. Hell, a new EV truck will scoot from 0-60 faster than most Camaros out on the road today.

https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/2...60-mph-review/
Electric cars are crazy. The Tesla Model X plaids are coming out soon. You're going to have soccer moms making low 9 sec passes on the way home from the grocery store.
Instagram - @JBsCars
Old 03-02-2022, 09:11 PM   #24
RealG

Drives: 2024 2SS
Mopar is supposed to released the E muscle concept this month. I’m about performance if they have an all-wheel-drive Plaid X killer whatever. LOL. I’m in.. Had plenty of years to play with smelly dirty gas cars, the time I have left I’ll play with electric cars. No problem
RealG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 09:21 PM   #25
JBones81

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealG View Post
Mopar is supposed to released the E muscle concept this month. I’m about performance if they have an all-wheel-drive Plaid X killer whatever. LOL. I’m in.. Had plenty of years to play with smelly dirty gas cars, the time I have left I’ll play with electric cars. No problem
The acceleration is unreal, but the overall driving feeling is so numb otherwise.

I mean, the reason I fell in love with cars in the first place was hearing the old 5.0s with flowmasters roaming the streets in the early 90s. They weren't even fast, but damn they sounded like sex
Instagram - @JBsCars
Old 03-02-2022, 09:43 PM   #26
Vtor_ZL1
Who Needs to KNOW?

Drives: 18 ZLE
Other than noise and range anxiety for some, the performance of electric has been proven. They are ****in nutty fast. Many proven reliable too, battery packs that most thought woudl choke out at 80,000 are lasting 3-5x that.

Is my next car electric.. not yet.. that blackwing ct5-V is tempting.

Are you in the NY/NJ/PA/CT region? Join us for autox fun at MetLife Stadium. HUGE lots, tons of runs.

http://www.motorsportsne.com/
Vtor_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2022, 06:19 AM   #27
mariojas

Drives: 2022 ZL1 M6 & 2023 Stinger GT AWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vtor_ZL1 View Post
Other than noise and range anxiety for some, the performance of electric has been proven. They are ****in nutty fast.
It's funny. Like they have taken conception of electric = slow to the bottom of their hearts and worked tirelessly to prove otherwise. And we have Plaid

But I am for the noise, vibrations, pressure differential on a chest standing back... and relative lightness. Not for speed... I want to hear the torque build up... And no, high pitched coil whine is not my cup of tea.

Charger sold! Better to sell, than waiting to be stolen...
mariojas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2022, 06:45 AM   #28
raptor5244

Drives: 2022 CT4-V Blackwing
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBones81 View Post
The acceleration is unreal, but the overall driving feeling is so numb otherwise.

I mean, the reason I fell in love with cars in the first place was hearing the old 5.0s with flowmasters roaming the streets in the early 90s. They weren't even fast, but damn they sounded like sex
Exactly, I traded my Tesla Model 3 Performance for a ZL1. It is quicker to 60mph and less expensive to operate but that is about it. Falls flat after 60mph and the experience is pretty numb. Great all around car/daily driver but does not get the blood pumping if you know what I mean.

Here is a good example, look at the speeds and G-forces here on the Model S Plaid. Impressive, but this has to be the most unexciting 9.42 second 1/4 mile pull in history. Don't get me wrong, you appreciate the performance for what it is but that doesn't mean it necessarily more fun to drive. This is precisely why I went out and bought the ZL1 before they stop making them.

2017 C7 Stingray - M7 Coupe - Sold
2019 C7 Grand Sport M7 Vert - Sold
2021 Camaro ZL1 - Black - A10 - Sold
2019 Tesla Model 3
2022 CT4-V Blackwing - M6
raptor5244 is offline   Reply With Quote