Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 02-18-2014, 06:49 PM   #15
redredrage

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS manual all stock
+1 for break in your car, but if its not broke in, run your oil down to 10% life and keep refilling and it will stop burning the oil.... the go back to a 30% life change....
redredrage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 01:26 PM   #16
29er

Drives: 14 1LE Garage King
the catch can is something i learned here on c5.. planning on getting a new camaro soon, ls3 or lsa c atch can , i was thinking about doing as a mod.
after reading all this tech. great read btw. i have an old relic my 2002 ws6 with the ls1 still working fine after 110000miles or 177000km.since day one, that i purchased my car. i used only mobil1 synth oil 5w30. i check the oil at least once a month always the same level. the engine is dry like the desert. no leaks or seaps. i replaced all plugs at 100000miles like gm recommended. still they showed to me no signs of burning oil. anyway enough of this.

for me, it would be a nice test to compare ,2 camaro's ; one with it-catch can- and one without it, and which had consume more oil than the other. but again how can we do a comparo when drving habits are not the same..

it's tuff to say ,if one guy has spent money for nothing or he did a good thing for his engine..

who on this forum has the most miles on his camaro that can say he had no problem, or it's oil consumption was normal between oil changes,and had no catch can.

how can it be prooved on long term that a catch can is good for the engine. gm engineers must know better. they are the ones who design it..if it's good protection then ok i would do it for long term.. 5 years and more would be it...but i would need proof that without it, it arm my engine..

again a .99cents soup can would do the same. why pay 150$ for oil residue?

how it can be prooved that having a engine, without it -catch-can-will cause it to fail??
29er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 07:03 PM   #17
not
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro 2SS/RS
Thanks 29er, brevity is the key to making a good point. I need to learn to do that...
not is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 04:07 PM   #18
Elite Engineering

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGDM View Post
Worth every penny!

Elite Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 04:30 PM   #19
JDP Sales

Drives: Chevys at the limit
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMWNERW View Post
Mine does...

Installed this catch can only 1 week ago (JDP Black Friday Sale)...I'm a bit concerned that there was this much oil after such a short time (only drove it in town, nothing too crazy, and my daily commute is only 20 miles or so).

Could this indicate a problem? I have an appointment with the dealership for something else this week (front turn signal stopped working), and will probably bring it up then.
Just now found this thread! Thanks for the order! The amount of oil in your can looks pretty normal to me. Do you have any updates now that it has been a few months?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGDM View Post
Worth every penny!
Agreed! Seeing what we see when we tear into engines, I would never run without one.. But you can't convince everybody..

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 04:48 PM   #20
AG1LE

Drives: '14 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDP Tyler View Post
Just now found this thread! Thanks for the order! The amount of oil in your can looks pretty normal to me. Do you have any updates now that it has been a few months?
lol - I don't even have the same car any more That catch can was one of the first things I transferred to the new 1LE
AG1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 05:37 PM   #21
JDP Sales

Drives: Chevys at the limit
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMWNERW View Post
lol - I don't even have the same car any more That catch can was one of the first things I transferred to the new 1LE
Oh nice! How has it been working on your 1LE?

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 10:20 PM   #22
1LE Captain

Drives: 2014 Red Rock 2SS 1LE RS NPP
Just place an order for an Elite Gen2 can from JDP, also added clutch reserve relo kit in the order.

Happy modding.
1LE Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 04:24 AM   #23
Indydriver

Drives: '14 2SS/RS Vert 6M/KTU/NPP/DTA/ARH
See posts 54 and 79 for yet another example of what happens w/o catch can. This guy went in for a cam job. Surprise, surprise.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...=346526&page=4