Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 12-15-2013, 09:05 AM   #1
AG1LE

Drives: '14 1LE
Exclamation Does your '14 need a catch can?

Mine does...

Installed this catch can only 1 week ago (JDP Black Friday Sale)...I'm a bit concerned that there was this much oil after such a short time (only drove it in town, nothing too crazy, and my daily commute is only 20 miles or so).

Could this indicate a problem? I have an appointment with the dealership for something else this week (front turn signal stopped working), and will probably bring it up then.
Attached Images

Last edited by AG1LE; 12-15-2013 at 09:33 AM.
AG1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 11:34 AM   #2
SSTG

Drives: 2014 Z51 Corvette
From the threads I've read this is normal for a new car.
SSTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 11:40 AM   #3
AG1LE

Thanks SSTG - I did some more reading today, and it sounds like it might slow down eventually...I will keep an eye on it. Just seemed like a LOT for only 1 week (I'm at about 2400 miles).
Old 12-16-2013, 08:59 PM   #4
not
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro 2SS/RS
I didn't put a catch can on mine and it burns off as designed and I never ever worry about it.

Let's review the benefits:

1. $$$$ still in my wallet not elsewhere.

2. No installation.

3. No emptying or servicing.

4. No worries.

Now of course I have a V8 L99 and the word out on the street is the V6's with DI need them while the V8, not so much.
not is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 09:05 PM   #5
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
I had an Elite Catch can on my L99 and it was definitely worth it.

Got a few ounces out of it every oil change.

Now I have Moroso on the LSA and get about the same amount.
Old 12-17-2013, 12:03 AM   #6
intensifi

Drives: '12 2LT Convertible
How did you break the engine in?

Supposedly if you get the rings to seat properly, there is less "blow by" for the catch can to catch.

That really does not seem like a lot of oil though. I empty mine catch can into a clear plastic water bottle to keep up on how much I have kept out of the intake.

Since your engine is non-DI your fuel (detergent) will help clean the air intake ports and valves. However the fuel will not clean the intake manifold. Check your intake manifold and see how much oil is in there already.

Do you have a rough idle? Sometimes that is a sign of oil buildup in the intake tract.
Old 12-17-2013, 02:42 AM   #7
AG1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by intensifi View Post
How did you break the engine in?

Supposedly if you get the rings to seat properly, there is less "blow by" for the catch can to catch.

That really does not seem like a lot of oil though. I empty mine catch can into a clear plastic water bottle to keep up on how much I have kept out of the intake.

Since your engine is non-DI your fuel (detergent) will help clean the air intake ports and valves. However the fuel will not clean the intake manifold. Check your intake manifold and see how much oil is in there already.

Do you have a rough idle? Sometimes that is a sign of oil buildup in the intake tract.
Thanks for the feedback - during break-in I pushed it on occasion while staying within the recommended RPM limits. Although the ultimate test will be to take a look at the intake manifold, I haven't done that yet. I plan to have my tb ported soon and may use that as a chance to check it out. Idle seems to be okay, but then again I don't really have a comparator.

I agree it's not a lot of oil, but that was one week of normal driving. Hopefully it will slow down, as others have suggested.

I've heard others also said that engine break-in procedure can have something to do with it. Now obviously that ship has sailed (I'm at about 2500 mi), whether I followed the recommended procedure or not (which I think I did). Hypothetically, if the rings did not seat properly, is there a way to find out whether that is the case, and anything one could (reasonably) do about it? I would be curious to know if there are others who can attest to carefully breaking in the engine and yet still catching a lot of oil.
Old 12-17-2013, 05:46 AM   #8
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
It is going to be allot more than 2500 miles before your rings set. Most LS3/L99 will set in by about 10,000 miles. You have to remember you are running a very slick oil that takes allot longer for the rings to set.

Heck saw the heads pulled on a LS3 that still had some cross honing in cylinders at 5000 miles. With the oil we use they do not break in like using standard dino oil.
Scott@Bjorn3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 02:36 PM   #9
wakespeak

Drives: 2020 ZL1 1LE
I had no accumulation for about the first 2 weeks, so I left it. I checked it again after about 400 miles and found about a 1/2 inch in my Apex catch can. This surprised me. 17K on the engine. Same distance commute. We were down in the 20s even in Austin, so that may have affected it. In the winter the pistons may take longer to expand and seal.
wakespeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 11:24 AM   #10
SMN2011Z28
Always a work in progress

Drives: 2014 RRM SS RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by not View Post
I didn't put a catch can on mine and it burns off as designed and I never ever worry about it.

Let's review the benefits:

1. $$$$ still in my wallet not elsewhere.

2. No installation.

3. No emptying or servicing.

4. No worries.

Now of course I have a V8 L99 and the word out on the street is the V6's with DI need them while the V8, not so much.
This is sound judgement if you don't plan on holding on to the car for more than 3 or 4 years. If you are in it for the long haul, this will come back to haunt you!!
You will not see the benefits of a catch can unless you have the car for a very long time and many many miles.
SMN2011Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 01:24 PM   #11
Indydriver

Drives: '14 2SS/RS Vert 6M/KTU/NPP/DTA/ARH
JMWNERW...

This may not answer your questions but, if you haven't seen this article about the redesign of the LS3 for this gen Camaro, you will find the discussion about modifications to reduce blowby interesting. Also, regarding breakin and the never-ending debate as to whether or not to follow the manufacturer's recommendations, it is interesting to learn that your pistons are installed in your cylinders 2 microns wider than the bore (an "interference" fit). Perhaps they know something when they ask us to take it easy for the first 1500 miles.

http://www.camarohomepage.com/ls3/
Indydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 09:14 PM   #12
not
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
I had an Elite Catch can on my L99 and it was definitely worth it.

Got a few ounces out of it every oil change.

Now I have Moroso on the LSA and get about the same amount.
I respect you and your knowledge of all things Camaro. But a catch can did nothing to help your Eaton Supercharger now did it?

Of course, nothing had to do to one or to another.........get my point?

And by the way, if I do live long enough for the long-haul, God willing, even with the low miles it won't need an engine pull, and if so, all the merrier.

I will spend my money on something non-maintenance, changing an oil catch-can in a confined space is NOT my idea of fun...

Best regards to all
not is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 07:06 PM   #13
Indydriver

Drives: '14 2SS/RS Vert 6M/KTU/NPP/DTA/ARH
Just ordered my Rx catch can + 1LE separator from Tracy. Once I get my LS3 running clean, will add CAI intake+VMAX. More air, less oil = happy V8.
Indydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 09:11 PM   #14
SGDM

Drives: 2016 2SS
Worth every penny!

Who Dares...Wins
SGDM is offline   Reply With Quote