Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Transmissions

Phastek Performance

Old 08-16-2023, 04:52 PM   #1
Derek921

Drives: 2016 Chevy Camaro 1LT
Change to 2023 Rear Diff Carrier?

Hey all,

Will start off with a disclaimer that I'm far from a mechanic, but not completely car-illiterate either. I just recently bought a new 2023 Camaro 3LT Auto V6, and have been noticing a bit of a clunking/clicking sound at very low speeds when approaching a stop/beginning to accelerate ever since I got it.

It kind of sounds a bit like the grinding sound you get with brakes that have been sitting for a bit/got wet, but it happens even when the car is rolling and I'm not on the brakes. I did some research and saw that it could be the CV joints, so I took a look under the back of the car to see if anything looked wrong with them, and happened to notice this bare metal on the back of the diff housing.

It seems like in previous years that would have been where the drain plug was, but did they move the drain plug on the 2023? And if that's not where the drain plug goes, why is that bare metal still exposed/milled down in that spot? Anyone who knows more about these things know what that is?

Name:  IMG_2457.jpg
Views: 228
Size:  143.8 KB
Derek921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2023, 06:50 PM   #2
Bumbleboy92
Long hauler

Drives: 2022 Camaro 2SS 1LE
The drain plug is in different locations based on the vehicle model as each model has different diffs/ratios.

The eLSD diffs on the ZL1 and SS 1LE have their drain plug where your metal photo is. The regular LT diff drain/fill plugs are on the driver side of the diff I believe.
Happiness: Infinite

Bumbleboy92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2023, 08:13 PM   #3
bekean

Drives: BMW
The exposed metal on the differential housing might be intentional or could indicate an issue. Car manufacturers occasionally leave certain areas exposed for manufacturing purposes, but it's essential to ensure that it's not a result of damage or a missing component. Differential housings typically have a drain and fill plug for maintenance. If the drain plug has been moved or redesigned for the 2023 model, it's crucial to refer to the vehicle's manual or consult with the dealership to confirm the correct locations.
bekean is offline   Reply With Quote