Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 10-20-2012, 09:21 PM   #1
NASTY99Z28

Drives: 99z28 with bolt-ons and a mwc fab 9
Any blown up ZL1 engines yet?

So after so much controversy over the ZL1 not having a forged engine has anyone blown up a motor yet?
Old 10-21-2012, 05:37 AM   #2
blackzl1az

Drives: Black ZL1
Nope
blackzl1az is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 07:27 AM   #3
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
None we have seen.
SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 07:59 AM   #4
Nailn it

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Ashen Gray / Manual
These same engines have been in the Cadillacs for years. My tuner told me they go north off 800 rwp on stock bottom ends often. No problems. Very solid engines with unbelievable potential. IMO the only danger would be a bad tune.
Nailn it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 01:07 PM   #5
NASTY99Z28

Yeah I know the engine has been around in the caddy's I was just curious how it's doing so far the ZL1 since the cars arch rival has already blown up 2 of there FORGED engines....
Old 10-21-2012, 01:17 PM   #6
The IOM Ninja
Account Suspended

Drives: 10' IOM 2SS/RS, 13' GB Shelby GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NASTY99Z28 View Post
Yeah I know the engine has been around in the caddy's I was just curious how it's doing so far the ZL1 since the cars arch rival has already blown up 2 of there FORGED engines....
They were also trying to see how far they could go with the new 5.8. It's not like the engines weren't being pushed to the limits. Also the weak link of the 5.8 is the rods, that would have been why it blew up (the part of the engine that ISN'T forged).

Lethal was trying to push the limits to find out where you can safely take these cars. The other blown one is because some smarty-pants , who probably should have been aborted, modded his car and was beating on it like a moron.
The IOM Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 01:20 PM   #7
Taser Deployed

Drives: 2012 Blk ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by The IOM Ninja View Post
They were also trying to see how far they could go with the new 5.8. It's not like the engines weren't being pushed to the limits. Also the weak link of the 5.8 is the rods, that would have been why it blew up (the part of the engine that ISN'T forged).

Lethal was trying to push the limits to find out where you can safely take these cars. The other blown one is because some smarty-pants, who probably should have been aborted, modded his car and was beating on it like a moron.
What are the limits on the 5.8?
Taser Deployed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 01:40 PM   #8
The IOM Ninja
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taser Deployed View Post
What are the limits on the 5.8?
I looked again and it turns out that lethal didn't technically blowup the engine. Around 800RWHP (Reliably) then you would probably need new rods...
Old 10-21-2012, 01:41 PM   #9
NASTY99Z28

Quote:

Lethal was trying to push the limits to find out where you can safely take these cars. The other blown one is because some smarty-pants, who probably should have been aborted, modded his car and was beating on it like a moron.
1. I'll give it to evolution (not lethal) that they pushed the car pretty hard to find it's limits but it popped doing what everyone said it would be safe doing then they all fell back on the old "trying to find limits excuse". If livernois would have blown up the car they had everyone would be all over it for not being forged.

2. So with your mindset the engines are fine as long as you don't mod them and don't drive them hard? Fact is these cars are going to be pushed not only power wise but also in longevity and personally I think the "over rev" feature will be the biggest problem for the 5.8.
Old 10-21-2012, 01:44 PM   #10
NASTY99Z28

Quote:
I looked again and it turns out that lethal didn't technically blowup the engine. Around 800RWHP (Reliably) then you would probably need new rods...
That's the crazy part both engines are roughly the same when it comes to there ability to handle power(safely)assuming a good time except the gt500 is "fully" forged and the LSA isn't just doesn't make sense.
Old 10-21-2012, 01:54 PM   #11
The IOM Ninja
Account Suspended

Quote:
1. I'll give it to evolution (not lethal) that they pushed the car pretty hard to find it's limits but it popped doing what everyone said it would be safe doing then they all fell back on the old "trying to find limits excuse". If livernois would have blown up the car they had everyone would be all over it for not being forged.

2. So with your mindset the engines are fine as long as you don't mod them and don't drive them hard? Fact is these cars are going to be pushed not only power wise but also in longevity and personally I think the "over rev" feature will be the biggest problem for the 5.8.
No the problem is all of the blown engines I have seen were because people were taking them to 7200 RPM or Higher (places that the engine not safe for the engine to go to) 7000 RPM is a limited RPM for a reason.

That's what I love about Camaro5 people love to twist things on this site. I said "Beating on it like a moron" translation for you "TREATING THE CAR LIKE SHIT, LITERALLY BEATING ON THE CAR, NOT JUST DRIVING IT HARD, PRETENDING IT IS A CHEATING WIFE AND BEATING UNTIL IT BLOWS UP"

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...his-motor.html

http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/sh...22#post9256222
Old 10-21-2012, 01:56 PM   #12
sycraft
COTW 5/06/2013

Drives: 2017 Corvette Grand Sport-Ho-Vette
Lingenfelter blew one early in development
Old 10-21-2012, 02:00 PM   #13
The IOM Ninja
Account Suspended

Quote:
That's the crazy part both engines are roughly the same when it comes to there ability to handle power(safely)assuming a good time except the gt500 is "fully" forged and the LSA isn't just doesn't make sense.
THE GT500 ISN'T FULLY FORGED, anyone with a brain knows that the rods are powder forged, the one major weak link of the engine….
Old 10-21-2012, 02:21 PM   #14
Taser Deployed

Drives: 2012 Blk ZL1
Quote:
THE GT500 ISN'T FULLY FORGED, anyone with a brain knows that the rods are powder forged, the one major weak link of the engine….
Same as the LSA if I'm not mistaken.
Taser Deployed is offline   Reply With Quote