Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-21-2011, 08:36 PM   #1
wahoo

Drives: Dreaming of a 2SS/RS
In a quandry

Ok - I'm going to keep this as short as possible.

I've been wanting a 2SS/RS for a while. Started a new job recently etc., and my 11yo BMW was going in for 800-1000 repairs. Needed to get rid of it. My wife, so wonderful about my car addiction and knowing I needed a new car, approved a new purchase. For months I scoured prices etc., and finally determined that I'd have to a.) save more b.)repair the BMW to push it along until purchase or c.) cave to a different purchase, ie, CPO. Well, after too many visits to dealers and a chance visit to our local BMW dealer, I ended up in an '08 335i for 29k - bought it because we put no money down and saved our 5k down payment. Now.... Drove home, a tinge of disappointment that I didn't get the Camaro but my wife loved the idea that she could drive the auto etc. Felt 'good' about being the responsible husband etc. ....4 doors, 6yr./100k warranty.

Fast forward to last Thursday, 4 days after purchase (of the '08 335i, auto/paddle shift, no nav), and came out to my car and the rear view mirror was hanging from the roof liner. The glue gave way. Apparently the previous owner had the windshield replaced and they used the wrong attachment. No biggie, mistakes happen. Car goes in for 4 days!!!! Yes I have a replacement vehicle. Pick up car today, 3 miles from dealer and the check engine light comes on with a slight hesitation. 8 days of ownership. Hoping it's not the well documented high pressure fuel pump.

I'm neither angry or depressed...just disappointed. Not the dealers fault but now I'm left wondering....why did I pass on the Camaro?? Making things worse, when I bought my first bimmer, 11years ago, I had a plethora of issues that resulted in over 60days in the dealer over the first 13months. Same dealer, different ownership. Not sure if I'm cursed....

Now I'm wondering if I should simply drive this car for 6mos and then get what I wanted all along...the 2SS/RS. Hell, no one rides in this car. I go to work, come home and do errands and the kids ride with me sparingly unless I take the family SUV.
:( Frustrated. Waiting for someone to tell me, "Trade it in, get the Camaro" or "Shut up and get over it" or both...

Sorry for the vent..just been a difficult night with the sled. What I've always liked about the Camaro has been everything you need and nothing that is extraneous. Becoming frustrated with BMW that they seem to make things complicated just because they can. Oh, and before I drove off the first time with the rear view mirror repair I asked the Service Advisor about getting an aftermarket exhaust. Got a 10min explanation about why it's 'complicated'. Silly me, I thought it was pretty easy...I bet the Camaro doesn't trip codes due to stupid back pressure issues with aftermarket exhaust mods..
wahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 08:41 PM   #2
Country

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
Trade it in, get the Camaro

Or a lexus.. I traded my BMW for Lexus, close to the same style but no where near the issues/ upkeep..
Country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 08:43 PM   #3
kdlove

Drives: Black 2011 Camaro 1LT Coupe
Trade it on for the Camaro asap!!! I wish I could of afforded the 2ss/RS but couldn't settled for a black 1lt with sunroof. I compromised with hubby and got the v6 so we wouldn't have another gas guzzler. Love my v6 but that little voice in the back of my head says I wish I had an SS in synergy green or inferno orange! If u can afford it trade it and get what you want!!
kdlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 08:45 PM   #4
Beescuz

Drives: 2021 ZL1 1LE
It all depends on your finances but if it was me get the Camaro. You only live once!
Beescuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 08:45 PM   #5
wahoo

Drives: Dreaming of a 2SS/RS
Thank's y'all!! I guess it says volumes that I'm on the Camaro site asking for advice instead of on the BMW forum!!!

All about what I can 'possibly' get for this car on trade. I cringe to think what a Chevy dealer would give me but I do know I got a pretty good deal on the 335.
wahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 08:45 PM   #6
CUPRA

Drives: '21 Bronco OBX/'18 Jeep GC Altitude
There is a good chance that you could have gotten a brand new 2010 1SS for right around that price you paid for the BMW... again, not 'exactly' what you wanted, but it would have been a Camaro at least, and brand new to boot.

Or a brand new 2011 2LT/RS for that price... either way, it would have been a new Camaro!

However, you are where you are now, still have a nice car, should be under warranty (although document everything, I had a $12000 repair bill on our BMW Z3 we had with factory warranty on it - scheming BMW, won't buy another one! Finally settled my issue with BMWoA for $2500 out of court.). I say keep it for now, as you'll lose a bunch if you trade it in again.

Good luck, and look on the positive side, you still have a nice car, 9 years newer than your last BMW!
Built: 11/18/22
VIN received: 11/19/22
On a Train: 02/27/23
ETA: TBD

2023 Camaro 2SS Convertible/M6/Shadow Grey Metallic/Adrenaline Red Interior/Carbon Flash Wheels/NPP
CUPRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 08:47 PM   #7
KIZE
www.gkiser.com

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS, Auto, Summit White. R
No brainer. Don't be an a$$hole. Get the Camaro.

Roto-fab CAI, GMPP exhaust with tips, Pistol Grip shifter with paddle switches, 'Chevrolet' aluminum kick plates, Aluminum Bow Ties, ClearBra front bumper/facia + side views + gills + behind door handles. SS floormats. www.gkiser.com
KIZE www.gkiser.com
KIZE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 08:50 PM   #8
DevilsReject97
Nightmare

Drives: Your mom crazy in bed
I bought my 2011 1SS for 31k..
DevilsReject97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 08:50 PM   #9
69 rs/ss

Drives: 1969 rs/ss & 2010 L99 #3747 4/28/09
Can you return the car or have you had it to long to do that?
69 rs/ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 08:52 PM   #10
GreenCamaroGuy

Drives: 2011 LS Green
One good thing about possibly trading the 335 is that BMW doesn't depreciate too bad, you'll lose $$$ but if it means getting the car you want...you only live once. Why get into a remorse box every morning to drive to work when you could be getting into the sweet ride you wanted?
GreenCamaroGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 08:53 PM   #11
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoo View Post
:( Frustrated. Waiting for someone to tell me, "Trade it in, get the Camaro" or "Shut up and get over it" or both...
TRADE IT IN, GET A CAMARO!

But seriously -- if you can afford it. And I'm not asking if you can...don't wanna know...then get what you wanted. If it's available to you, you shouldn't have to settle for something less than your desires. And the Camaro is just friggen' kick ass.
Old 03-21-2011, 08:53 PM   #12
Country

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenCamaroGuy View Post
One good thing about possibly trading the 335 is that BMW doesn't depreciate too bad, you'll lose $$$ but if it means getting the car you want...you only live once. Why get into a remorse box every morning to drive to work when you could be getting into the sweet ride you wanted?
Country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 08:56 PM   #13
Darth_Emma
Psssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Drives: under contruction
psst... Camaro!
Darth_Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 08:57 PM   #14
Grandeos
Automotive Designer

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS (LS3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
TRADE IT IN, GET A CAMARO!

But seriously -- if you can afford it. And I'm not asking if you can...don't wanna know...then get what you wanted. If it's available to you, you shouldn't have to settle for something less than your desires. And the Camaro is just friggen' kick ass.