Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 12-19-2012, 10:11 PM   #99
shrinkdoc

Drives: SRT Yugo GT Super Sport with Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
Does it really matter were it's built? I'm more worried about what it's going to look like and how it's going to perform.
If they wants to keep their job, they will builds them right.
shrinkdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 10:18 PM   #100
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
But where it's built is the hot topic of the day! For now...we're just assuming it'll look hot, and perform awesome.
True it is a hot topic for some folks. To me it's no big deal. It isn't like it's going to cause the plant to close. It sounds more like they are going to be expanding so really, Canada should be happy about the news. And, it's good for the folks in the states because they will probably have to hire more workers. It sounds like a win win for everyone involved. I have no worries about build quality in the states verses Canada.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 10:43 PM   #101
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrinkdoc View Post
I suspect this is do to the Right to Work issue. GM has been trying to get away from unions for years.
Has nothing to do with this....How strange this keeps coming up...even after GM's own press release detailed a couple of other much larger reasons...

Sonic is made in the US, by Chevy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
True it is a hot topic for some folks....I have no worries about build quality in the states verses Canada.
Me, either....If I recall correctly...Lansing won a quality award, similar to Oshawa, out of all the assembly plants in North America.
Old 12-19-2012, 11:05 PM   #102
RTRO 2SS

Drives: 2010 2SSRS 6 Speed
Made in America

I'm Happy to hear this news. Let’s hope they assemble the car with parts make in the USA. I can’t tell you how disappointed I was when I took one of the wheels off and discovered it was made in China. It Saddens me that we import so many thing these days that I feel should be made here at home.
RTRO 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 11:10 PM   #103
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTRO 2SS View Post
I'm Happy to hear this news. Let’s hope they assemble the car with parts make in the USA. I can’t tell you how disappointed I was when I took one of the wheels off and discovered it was made in China. It Saddens me that we import so many thing these days that I feel should be made here at home.
Slightly off-topic.....Find hope in the fact that we are still making lots of things here. They just happen to be very expensive and complex...which is a shift from the cheap, mass-produced "widgets" that are easier to talk about.

And in a few years...we can add Camaros to the list of exports!
Old 12-19-2012, 11:12 PM   #104
douglat2

Drives: 2012 camaro 2SS
I couldn't be happier about this! I was born, raised, and still live in Lansing. When GM tore down half the plants we had here it killed us. It's nice to see more cars being built here. The Grand River Plant is an awesome facility and I can't wait to see the next generation camaros start rolling off the line. As for people worried about us taking pride in our work, you obviously don't know us. We love building cars, it's what we've been doing for generations. We always take pride in the cars that we build in lansing, and now we get to take pride in one of the most iconic name plates in American motoring history.
douglat2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 11:16 PM   #105
Doglife1LE

Drives: 2013 1LE, 2004 Silverado
This is great news. When my 1LE is paid off they should be a couple of model years in, which will be perfect timing for me to get a Gen 6.
Old 12-19-2012, 11:18 PM   #106
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by douglat2 View Post
I couldn't be happier about this! I was born, raised, and still live in Lansing. When GM tore down half the plants we had here it killed us. It's nice to see more cars being built here. The Grand River Plant is an awesome facility and I can't wait to see the next generation camaros start rolling off the line. As for people worried about us taking pride in our work, you obviously don't know us. We love building cars, it's what we've been doing for generations. We always take pride in the cars that we build in lansing, and now we get to take pride in one of the most iconic name plates in American motoring history.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 11:21 PM   #107
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveagogo1 View Post
If it is then great. I only hope that it's built in Lansing with the same pride and quality it is built with in Oshawa. Mike Judge and the Oshawa crew are top notch. Both in building cars and within the Camaro community.
A lot of mixed emotions with this one, but this ^^^^ pretty much sums it up.
Old 12-19-2012, 11:41 PM   #108
grocerygetter
instigator

Drives: 2020 6.2 Trail Boss, 2022 XC90
So camaro5 should do some kind of Oshawa thank u for the 5th gen at 2014 Fest.
Old 12-20-2012, 12:16 AM   #109
velocity149

Drives: 2014 2SS RS LS3
actually, this isn't so bad, right now, i see 5th gen camaros EVERYWHERE in oshawa, and the GTA, if they are made further away, do you think less will be shipped to teh area? I went to teh dealership to buy a camaro, not a car. but alot of people go to teh dealership to buy a car, and decide which one by what they see. right now, oshawa has a good number of camaros in the dealerships, and if that number decreases, we will see more people driving camaros not only becasue thats the car they liked te most st the dealership, but because that is what they wanted to order.

Thank our veterans for peace today, Support our troops for peace tomorrow. RIP Dad, 1962-2012 SYOTOS
velocity149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 12:21 AM   #110
Obzen
Pull up Cougar!

Drives: 2016 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTRO 2SS View Post
Not gonna happen. There's gonna be parts from all kinds of countries of origin. The vast majority of the plastic parts are made in mexico. GM contracts out tons of manufacturers, even for the same part. One piece may be made by 20 different factories. Its the only way to keep costs down and production up. An all american Camaro from top to bottom would cost a fortune.

Not that it wouldn't be cool to have
Obzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 01:31 AM   #111
With envy
It's a Synergy thing..

Drives: 2010 Synergy
I am thrilled! This is huge news to me, because I have a very personal connection to Lansing: It's my home town!

I am a Michigan refugee.

I was born in Lansing. I graduated from high school right into the middle of the great recession, in the middle of Michigan, no less. My prospects were grim at best. I have memories of showing up to apply at a newly built restaurant that had advertised it was hiring, only to find a line outside that stretched down the block and around the corner. A hundred or so people for a handful of jobs that paid $3.35. By the late 80's I'd had enough. I did the same as so many before me, and left to find opportunity elsewhere.
A few years ago I went back to visit family. I discovered that the original Oldsmobile plant was being demolished. I stopped to watch the excavators pulling down the walls of the factory I remembered from my childhood. The factory with the giant red sign that proclaimed "Home of the Rocket Engine Olds!" Admittedly, I was never really that attached to Olds. Ironically, it was the a big part of the reason I chose a '69 Camaro as my first car. All the other kids I went to school with drove Cutlasses and 442s because their dads all worked for Olds. I was buying my own car with my own money, and I wanted to be different (but I didn't want a Ford), so I chose Chevrolet and Camaro. I bought my car in the shadow in that plant. And I have to confess that watching it being razed disturbed me almost to tears. It was if I was watching the death of my home.
With the future of the surrounding communities always in question, it's great to see something positive happen for a change. I know the Canadians are proud to build the Camaro, but I'm sure GM will continue to keep them busy, and they will build whatever nameplate they are given with the same pride and dedication. As to the right to work issue: I don't see that as any factor since the decision was probably made long before the vote, and GM has always been UAW, and will always be UAW.
And now I will soon be able to say that I was made in Lansing, just like my Camaro!

I wonder if I can get a sticker for that!?

With envy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 01:33 AM   #112
KarFan

Drives: 2023 SGM Camaro 2SS 1LE 6M
Pure business decision and a good one for Camaro fans. Camaro is going where fellow Alpha platform mates cars are being built. Both Lansing and Oshawa build high quality cars and will have plenty to build for many years to come. GM is in the car business to make money.
2002 White Camaro Z28 A4
KarFan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2016 camaro, 2016 camaro forum, 2016 camaro forums, 2016 chevrolet camaro, 2016 chevy camaro, 2017 camaro, 2017 chevy camaro, 6 gen camaro, 6th gen camaro, 6th gen camaro forum, 6th gen camaro forums, 6th gen camaro info, 6th gen camaro news, 6th gen camaro rumors, 6th gen chevrolet camaro, 6th gen chevy camaro, 6th gen chevy camaro forum, 6th generation camaro, 6th generation camaro info, 6th generation camaro news, 6th generation camaro rumors, 6th generation chevy camaro, camaro 6th gen, camaro 6th generation