Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-31-2013, 07:26 AM   #71
911medic

Drives: 2012 SIM 2LT/1970 Camaro
I never said it was a big difference, but you said there is no difference, which is wrong.

And if it was simply due to auto vs manual, why would there not be the same difference in the auto vs manual LTs? Because it's the 2LS gearing.

Same for the half second 0-60 difference, and the 0.4 second worse quarter mile time for the 2LS than the automatic LT (0.5 seconds worse than the 1LS or manual LT).
Wishlist: ACS T5 Splitter -- Hood Vent Mod -- Footwell/Door Pull/Homelink Button Lighting
911medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 08:19 AM   #72
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
Heck he is gonna drive it into the ground where it will die a death of languishing at some used car dealership where its resold with a billion miles on it and he looses his arse from the loss in value from driving it to the moon everyday..........He needs like some uber economical cruze or focus or something.............Not even a tesla with 10,796 nicad batteries that have to be recycled every two years at a cost of 20k can help him...........Yes the teslas they originally made had ten friggin million little batteries .......Not exactly high tech eh.......winder if they are the same .........stupid is as studid does momma allways used to say..........
christianchevell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 11:26 AM   #73
guerra cues
Inferno Orange - 2LT RS

Drives: Inferno Orange - 2LT RS
Send a message via Skype™ to guerra cues
I hate the American Ford Focus, completely different from the European Ford Focus model.

I have my mind pretty set right now on the 2LT Crystal Red or solid black, not sure yet, most likely the red.
All other cars I like have a MPG very close if not less than the Camaro. Yep I will drive it to the ground and then is also when my son will be able to get it's permit, that gives me an excuse to get another one in 2 to 3 years.
Old 03-31-2013, 12:25 PM   #74
mikeyg36

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #533
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd10013 View Post
we don't see more hydrogen powered cars because there are only 2 sources of hydrogen capable of creating the volumes of it we would need. one is natural gas, which kind of defeats the purpose since your simply taking a fossil fuel and converting it to something else, and the second is water. the problem with water though is it is insanely expensive to separate the hydrogen and oxygen atoms and requires more energy to do than you get out of the hydrogen.
there's no giant conspiracy, it's just not economically feasible yet.
Instead of dumping money into these stupid electric cars, they should be spending money on Hydrogen development
mikeyg36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 12:27 PM   #75
mikeyg36

Quote:
what makes you think that? they have the same engine, and aside from a couple options are the exact same car. a 2LS is just a higher trim level than a 1LS
No. 2LS is the same exact trim as the 1LS. The only difference is that the 2LS has an automatic transmission with a 2.73 gear ratio (I think). This allows it to hit 30mpg so they can A) Match the mustang and B) advertise it as 30 mpg.
Old 03-31-2013, 12:29 PM   #76
jd10013

Drives: 2012 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyg36 View Post
Instead of dumping money into these stupid electric cars, they should be spending money on Hydrogen development
hydrogen technology is as much of a pig-N-a-poke as electric. in fact, it's probably worse as hydrogen fuel cells are vastly more expensive than electric motors and lithium ion batteries. with either case your just wasting money on a feel good endeavor. the truth of the matter is, there is currently nothing out there anywhere remotely close to being able to replace oil. electric is, the only realistic replacement for gas. the tech for the vehicles there and just needs further development. the problem is in the generation of electricity in a clean and economical way more than the cars. but with hydrogen both areas are a problem right now. but in summary, neither is anywhere close to being ready for primetime.
jd10013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 12:33 PM   #77
mikeyg36

Quote:
hydrogen technology is as much of a pig-N-a-poke as electric. in fact, it's probably worse as hydrogen fuel cells are vastly more expensive than electric motors and lithium ion batteries. with either case your just wasting money on a feel good endeavor. the truth of the matter is, there is currently nothing out there anywhere remotely close to being able to replace oil.
Fuel cells defeat the purpose, but straight up burning hydrogen is not as expensive. It just requires development time. I think BMW created a hydrogen burning ICE in a 7 series. I believe that Jay Leno had it on his show.
Old 03-31-2013, 12:34 PM   #78
jd10013

Quote:
No. 2LS is the same exact trim as the 1LS. The only difference is that the 2LS has an automatic transmission with a 2.73 gear ratio (I think). This allows it to hit 30mpg so they can A) Match the mustang and B) advertise it as 30 mpg.

lol, they're not promoting a car as for the fuel conscious based on 1mpg. that's all I'm trying to say.
Old 03-31-2013, 12:35 PM   #79
jd10013

Quote:
Fuel cells defeat the purpose, but straight up burning hydrogen is not as expensive. It just requires development time. I think BMW created a hydrogen burning ICE in a 7 series. I believe that Jay Leno had it on his show.
1. it's not clean then, and defeats the whole purpose. the big appeal of hydrogen powered cars is that the only waste product created is water.

2. there is no affordable way to produce hydrogen in large quantities other than from natural gas. and even that has a net negative energy gain. and if your just burning it anyway, might as well just burn it as natural gas.
Old 03-31-2013, 12:40 PM   #80
skibik

Drives: bbbbbb
I have the 1LT is pretty much the same as the 2LT only I have a few less trim options. I also have the auto trans, my commute is about 28 miles round trip and pretty much all highway at 60 MPH and I get what I consider excellent gas mileage for a 3800LB car and that is 28 MPG average(summer), best tank 29.1 MPG and of course it sucks up here in the north in the winter I was down to 19 MPG in sub zero temps and now back up to 23.5 average but temps are still in the 20's and 30's. I am not exactly light on the pedal and figured it could top out at over 30 if I could drive it normal for a tank. Our highways here aren't maintained very well and the ride in these cars is not exactly a smooth and comfortable ride, it is a sports car after all. If it is something you have your heart set on then by my words "you only go around in this world one time you may as well enjoy it while it lasts"!

Dean.
skibik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 12:48 PM   #81
skibik

Drives: bbbbbb
If memory serves me correct when I did all my research last year. A 1LS, 2LS, 1LT and 2LT are all just trim levels and have nothing to do with what trans and gear ratios are in them. You can get anyone of them in an auto or manual trans. If you buy a V6 with a manual the window sticker will have 1 MPG less on the sheet at 28 MPG HWY versus if you bought the V6 with an auto trans 29 MPG HWY.

Dean.
skibik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 12:53 PM   #82
mikeyg36

Quote:
lol, they're not promoting a car as for the fuel conscious based on 1mpg. that's all I'm trying to say.
They are though... They say "x amount of vehicles in Chevys lineup get 30 mpg or more" this allows them to add one more by putting in a Camaro
Old 03-31-2013, 12:56 PM   #83
dkp2LT

Drives: '11 2SS, '11 C6 GS, '04 MDX
Quote:
Originally Posted by skibik View Post
If memory serves me correct when I did all my research last year. A 1LS, 2LS, 1LT and 2LT are all just trim levels and have nothing to do with what trans and gear ratios are in them. You can get anyone of them in an auto or manual trans. If you buy a V6 with a manual the window sticker will have 1 MPG less on the sheet at 28 MPG HWY versus if you bought the V6 with an auto trans 29 MPG HWY.

Dean.
1LS = manual only
2LS = automatic only and different axle ratio.
dkp2LT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 12:57 PM   #84
NYYFan325

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by skibik View Post

Dean.
Mostly true... All but the 2LS have 3.27 gears... The 2LS has 2.73s for better fuel economy, but at the cost of acceleration obviously.