Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-09-2013, 11:13 AM   #1
agent_z28

Drives: yyy
,-,-, ';,..,;' ,-,-,

Everyone wants the best, everyone gets what they can, almost all are happy.

Last edited by agent_z28; 03-12-2013 at 05:05 PM.
agent_z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 11:18 AM   #2
jd10013

Drives: 2012 camaro
I too have a V6 and I've yet to find myself in a situation where it didn't have enough power. though like you, I don't go to the track
jd10013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 11:25 AM   #3
Ringo64
Forever Pontiac

Drives: 2012 Black 2SS/RS
#1 rule of car buying, don't buy a car that is out of your comfort zone and unfortunately it sounds like an SS/1LE/ZL1 are out of your price range.

Wait till you can afford one and don't have to worry about eating Ramen or other sacrifices

You still have a Camaro! Enjoy it bud! There are poor souls driving around in Hondas and Toyotas!
Ringo64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 11:30 AM   #4
RoadieWingZ

Drives: 2013 Black Camaro 1LS
Relax and take a deep breath and it will all be fine.... You made a great decision already when you balanced income with the model you chose, so stay focused on the fact that you have such a great car already that can keep up with and surpass most V8s of just a few years ago. Since you love to mod, you've definitely got a great starting point and a wide open set of options in front of you. I was at a recent Saturday night gathering and saw what forum member IBMCamaro (recent COTW winner) and was blown away by the numbers on performance and the sound that his car was putting out as it sat in the display row. It got as much or more attention than most of the V8's sitting onsite and most non-Camaro owners had trouble believing it was a V6. If you still feel the need for the V8 in a few years when the finances are right, then go for it by all means. In the mean time, take her out and push the pedal down a bit very once in a while using the manual shifting so you can wind her out, and then let the modding begin.....

....and I personally love the idea of driving a "sleeper" car that some other "muscle car" drivers think they can take off the line, but are shocked to find out they can't and are watching taillights disappear ahead.....

2013 Camaro LS
RoadieWingZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 11:40 AM   #5
TDevilsG

Drives: 2013 2LT Victory Red LFX
Have you posted before about this? Maybe I'm thinking of someone else. Anyway, don't put yourself in a tight spot for a car. I make a decent salary but between the car payments, insurance, rent and utilities, I'm making my life much harder than necessary. Besides, you already have a great car. How much more power do you need? Not to mention you are saving a ton of dough on gas and mileage as well. Just stick with what you got. Also, judging from your post, it sounds like you already know what the right answer is. Not only are you going to be paying a lot more, but you don't even have the means of taking advantage of it. 326 HP on a car is nothing to sniff at.
TDevilsG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 11:45 AM   #6
abaucom21

Drives: 2011 2LT White, 1966 TBird conv.
I am an old fart, no debt, earn plus $100,000 yearly. Preorderd my V6 2LT because the V6 best suited my driving. Do not need bragging rights I have the most powerful V8 because I seldom drive more than 40 mph commuting to work. Could of paid $80,000 cash for a high performance auto but why? Only to impress people I did not know?
Not smart to spend money on anything you can not use only to impress people you do not know.
abaucom21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 12:09 PM   #7
Scalded Dog

Drives: 2011 1LT
If you can't be with the one you love,
Love the one you're with!

On the other hand, it would be easy to turn this thread into a V8 v. V6 thread, to, as some of us love and prefer our six- guns. I wouldn't mind having BOTH cars, but if I had to choose just one, at this point in time, it would remain my V6. I've got my reasons, and certainly not everybody would agree, which is why some folks have sixes, and others have eights.
Scalded Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 12:12 PM   #8
midnighter
Account Suspended

Drives: nothing
I went for the SS in 2009 and I still eat Top Ramen.
midnighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 12:18 PM   #9
captaincog

Drives: 1971 350RS/SS 4sp
There will always be someone who states that they have a faster Camaro, you should have bought a V8, SS, 1LE, etc. I learned this many years ago in that it took my wife and I 7 years to restore, actually restify, our 71 RS/SS 350 Camaro. When we found it she had sat under a tree for 5 years with no rear wheels and we could not even see through the glass. Half the interior was gone so it was a long project. Several years later when the engine needed a full rebuild my wife found a guy that builds engines for NHRA door slammers. He went through all the choices and convinced me to stay with a 350, not stoker, etc. because he has seen what guys would get themselves into in chasing the faster folks and things starting breaking . I have not regretted my decision since here in SoCal there are not just very many places you can race at all. Hell, even the Route 66 Rendezvous in San Bernardino has been cancelled and that show would draw 1600+ cars. I won the Best Sound in the Open Header contest in 2010 with my 71 so I am sad to see it go.

Now, I bought a 2013 V6 1LS m6 because I have fun with it, it fits my needs for a work commuter and a fun car. It is a blast to drive. Yes, there are faster and there are many posters on this and other boards that insist only a v8 should be bought..........whatever . You have one of the most awesome cars currently made, period. Enjoy!
1971 RS/SS 350 4 speed Teal Green
captaincog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 12:19 PM   #10
dkp2LT

Drives: '11 2SS, '11 C6 GS, '04 MDX
Not sure what you paid out the door but for around the same price seems you could have looked at the '10 or '11 1SS/RS along w/ an extended warranty if needed.
dkp2LT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 12:43 PM   #11
skibik

Drives: bbbbbb
I was in the same boat you were. I make about the same as you and have saved my pennies for the last 5 years and last spring I decided it was time. I was either looking for a used C5 Corvette to enjoy the summers with or a new Camaro as a DD. I couldn't seem to find a Vette as the good deals I found seemed to vanish as fast as I found them. I wanted an SS myself and wanted one with less then 20k miles on it but they were asking around $33k and up for them and that was not an option. I went to look at a Vette about 400 miles away and that fell through and decided I needed to take a V6 for a test drive. No it didn't compare to a V8 but wow it has power and I was impressed. Well I traded my Monte Carlo for the V6 AT 1LT Camaro and have not regretted it one bit. Over $6k cheaper than a used SS Camaro and over $10k cheaper than a new SS but the gas mileage is great and the power of the V6 is phenomenal. Over last summer and this winter I have put a few mods in it with axle back exhaust, stripes, CAI, ported TB, and now Solo HFC's for the LFX. the CAI and the HFC's each supposedly add 15 HP for close to 30 HP total and the response that the TB added improved it. I had taken it to a few car shows last summer and got a lot of compliments and a lot of people can't believe the power that GM squeezed out of the V6. The biggest laugh I had was at one car show and overheard a couple teens say if I buy one I would buy the V8 and would waste money on a V6. I sat and was quietly chuckling in my head thinking kid you need to get a job and go price one first before you say that. I am not out to impress anyone but myself and this car succeeded. I wanted a manual but glad I got the AT as I am getting old and lazy to waste time shifting. Enjoy it while it lasts!

Dean.
skibik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 12:46 PM   #12
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnighter View Post
I went for the SS in 2009 and I still eat Top Ramen.
Horsepower is awesome
Old 03-09-2013, 12:58 PM   #13
ayyob83

Drives: Camaro SS 2013 / Tahoe LTZ 2009
i was just like you when i bought RS back in 2012 and i was stupid not getting SS because the SS is my main target but finally i got it now

and no not because V6 is not good, it really good and powerful for a v6 and i enjoyed it truly but everyone have a taste of choosing cars.

and me i love the V8 sound and feels, and now i'm not selling it until 10 years from now

so if you want to change i suggest to think about it and see if you can hand it from payment and all other things in your life.

make sure it wont effect anything in your life
ayyob83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 01:02 PM   #14
yellowrs
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 SS 426 V8 M/T
Be happy with what you got.
I wish I had a ZL1 but so what.
I am grateful to have an SS.
The Camaro is a great car no matter what model you drive.
yellowrs is offline   Reply With Quote