Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 09-29-2023, 06:44 AM   #85
olrocker

Drives: People crazy with my sexiness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamero6 View Post
I rented a C8 for a day. I don't think it is more fun to drive than the camaro.
I didn't like the double clutch transmission either.
I would rent one to get a grip of how it drives before pulling the trigger.

My prediction is those corvettes are going to transmorm into garage queens like ferraris or they are going to depreciate a lot.
We haven't seen that yet but rear mounted engine drives repair costs to the roof.
GM is going to pound everyone's head into the reasoning for going rear mounted mid-engine on the Corvette is handling and making it a direct competitor to the likes of Ferrari and Lamborghini.

Yet Mercedes can build a supercar every bit the performance and handling of a Ferrari with a front mounted mid-engine design.

From the side it's almost indistinguishable from a Ferrari.

I can't stand that GM abandoned the traditional Corvette design. Quit trying to be Italian, it's still America's only pure sports car, keep it American.

They could have brought out a clean sheet design that's all new from the ground up (admittedly the rear transverse leaf suspension was something that could be ditched by now) and STILL purely American style with the engine in front of the driver where it belongs.
Sharkskin/Light gray
Moonroof/Navi/NPP/Mag Ride/Red Brake Calipers
Gray painted split spoke wheels
Illuminated footwells/illuminated bowtie
olrocker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2023, 09:43 AM   #86
AZCamaroFan
Camaro6 2016-2018

Drives: sometimes
actually he's right about non V8 sales of the 4thgen.
as these issues are endlessly debated here one thing that is just not brought up is that sales of sports coupes are just not there anymore. it's not like people are not buying Camaro's for something else. where are the japanese sports coupes? No,i'm not talking about the Supra or the Z car, those are more expensive. The Eclipse is gone, the Integra is a 4 door.
Sales of the Camaro, Mustang and big fat slob challenger are down about 50,000 units from a decade ago. There was never going to be room for 3 cars in this segment (and i will continually argue the challenger is not what the camaro and mustang is , although it's buyers are probably oblivious to it)
Better marketing should have been done, (and hatchet job on the styling in 2019 should not have) , but tens of thousands of buyers still wouldn not have beem created.
Old 09-29-2023, 01:52 PM   #87
Alan47717

Drives: 2022 1LT RS 2.0t/6spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
The engines and chassis are pretty good in the non V8 cars. Chassis is excellent engines are ok, particularly the V6 (same as in my LaCrosse lol) being just so so.

That isn’t the issue.

The issue is why aren’t they selling and I can absolutely assure you it’s not lack of a TV commercial. Mustang is selling just fine and fine enough to get a NG car and not even a commercial for that car.

GM has all the data in the world you and I won’t ever see on why this is to back this up.

Almost all of the people in this site are here because of the V8 cars. The performance was a game changer when it launched. Bit the fundamental design and architecture resulted in a less compelling car if you simply want a sporty coupe. Remember everyone is going to SUVs for some consistent reasons and the Gen6 Camaro offers zero accommodation in this regard.

If you want a sporty coupe (not a sports car or muscle car) your expectations are far different than if you want the best performance car in the segment. If you chose an L4 or a V6 you’ve already made that clear.

Outward vision, trunk space, lift over height and zero rear seat (GM admitted this at launch if you recall) are huge.

Remember we’ve had people state their visibility is better than a Lamborghini on this very site, so therefore it MUST be ok.

Sorry but the sale numbers tell you everything and the ONLY counter anyone on this site has is “TV commercials” ignoring the simple fact the Mustang has zero commercials.
Appreciate the damning with faint praise of the non-V8 engines. I have never used the lack of TV commercials as evidence of a marketing shortfall. I maintain it is a lack of coordinated, continued development of the product TO be marketed. You just can't just put out a model range of cars, give it a mid-cycle sheet metal refresh, call it a day and then complain about declining sales. Ford and Dodge don't do this and they reap the benefits.

And one last word on the all important issue of trunk space (which is ample, by the way, it's just the narrow opening). The Malibu has been in production since 2009 with a trunk opening not terribly larger than the Camaro (I owned a 2012) and it is definitely something you have to live with. But people have been living with it on that platform for fourteen years.

I really don't have anything more to say except what I keep hearing from you and others is an autopsy of why the patient died. I essentially agree the death was more or less inevitable (no 7th gen coming), but end of life quality could have been a lot better (more sales) if the right people had wanted it badly enough.
Alan47717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2023, 02:10 PM   #88
AZCamaroFan
Camaro6 2016-2018

they weren't going to spend anymore on it once they spent on the 2019 unfresh that drove sales further down, then 2020 happened and they had to shut down.
Now had they not spent that money on that 2019 disaster maybe they could have done something with a Z28 or better yet a rebate.
Old 09-29-2023, 02:21 PM   #89
AZCamaroFan
Camaro6 2016-2018

wait a second here..
Old 09-29-2023, 03:28 PM   #90
paradigm

Drives: 2022 Camaro 1SS 1LE
That 2019 SS nose is god awful. Amazing how a little change to move the badge back to where it should be and paint the bumper did for the front end.
Old 09-29-2023, 03:57 PM   #91
olrocker

Drives: People crazy with my sexiness
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradigm View Post
That 2019 SS nose is god awful. Amazing how a little change to move the badge back to where it should be and paint the bumper did for the front end.
I’ve seen ‘19 owners on here who swear it’s great because it’s a one year anomaly that will make it rare, like the ‘63 split window Corvette.
Sharkskin/Light gray
Moonroof/Navi/NPP/Mag Ride/Red Brake Calipers
Gray painted split spoke wheels
Illuminated footwells/illuminated bowtie
olrocker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2023, 04:45 PM   #92
AZCamaroFan
Camaro6 2016-2018

i've got some shag carpet and bell bottoms to sell them

the whole front end looks bad, both grilles and the bumper are staggered at different depths. it was amateur hour. the back end looks like it was put in a microwave and melted.
meanwhile the base model went from upscale to looking plain and generic.
Old 09-29-2023, 04:48 PM   #93
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan47717 View Post
Appreciate the damning with faint praise of the non-V8 engines. I have never used the lack of TV commercials as evidence of a marketing shortfall. I maintain it is a lack of coordinated, continued development of the product TO be marketed. You just can't just put out a model range of cars, give it a mid-cycle sheet metal refresh, call it a day and then complain about declining sales. Ford and Dodge don't do this and they reap the benefits.

And one last word on the all important issue of trunk space (which is ample, by the way, it's just the narrow opening). The Malibu has been in production since 2009 with a trunk opening not terribly larger than the Camaro (I owned a 2012) and it is definitely something you have to live with. But people have been living with it on that platform for fourteen years.

I really don't have anything more to say except what I keep hearing from you and others is an autopsy of why the patient died. I essentially agree the death was more or less inevitable (no 7th gen coming), but end of life quality could have been a lot better (more sales) if the right people had wanted it badly enough.
Sorry trunk space is NOT ample. I’ve been berated for this but you cannot get a set of golf clubs in the trunk. You could get 2 bags in a Gen5 and you could get 2 in an ATS, an Alpha stablemate.

As I’ve said, I wanted a Gen6 as much or more than anyone on this sight, but that was a deal breaker for me.

If we weren’t in the middle of GM devoting heavy cash and resources in EVs we might have seen a better send off.

I may be way optimistic here but I’m hoping GM has such outstanding plans for an EV Camaro (coupe or coupish) that they just aren’t worried about a farewell simply because in their minds it’s a short hiatus.
Old 09-29-2023, 07:18 PM   #94

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Small trunk?..OK. Isn't that why the rear seat back comes down?
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2023, 07:43 PM   #95
302crossram

Drives: 2023 Sharkskin 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by olrocker View Post
I’ve seen ‘19 owners on here who swear it’s great because it’s a one year anomaly that will make it rare, like the ‘63 split window Corvette.
by the time the 2019 gets to split win $$$

it will be against the law to own
302crossram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2023, 07:57 PM   #96
AZCamaroFan
Camaro6 2016-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Sorry trunk space is NOT ample. I’ve been berated for this but you cannot get a set of golf clubs in the trunk. You could get 2 bags in a Gen5 and you could get 2 in an ATS, an Alpha stablemate.

As I’ve said, I wanted a Gen6 as much or more than anyone on this sight, but that was a deal breaker for me.

If we weren’t in the middle of GM devoting heavy cash and resources in EVs we might have seen a better send off.

I may be way optimistic here but I’m hoping GM has such outstanding plans for an EV Camaro (coupe or coupish) that they just aren’t worried about a farewell simply because in their minds it’s a short hiatus.
not berating, just conversing here.