Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 03-20-2018, 02:36 PM   #15
CT ZL1

Drives: 2018 ZL1
3 years/36,000 Miles Limited Warranty Coverage

Chevrolet is committed to ensuring satisfaction with your new vehicle. Your Chevrolet dealer also wants you to be completely satisfied and invites you to return for all your service needs, both during and after the warranty period. To help keep things in proper working order, Chevrolet will warrant each 2017 model year from bumper-to-bumper for 3 years or 36,000 miles (whichever comes first; see dealer for details) with no deductible, from the delivery date of the vehicle, for warrantable repairs that are required as a result of defects due to material and/or workmanship.

I dont know guys I hope I am wrong but what Im reading here in red is pretty much what the dealer told me GM will decide if a warranty item will be fixed only if GM determines there was a defect due to materials or workmanship. According to the dealer this is something that is fairly new. I dont know when it started but.
Has any body that is over 12 mos or 12k miles had something that the dealer would not fix under warranty?(besides maint. items of course?

Past Rides
13 Porsche 911 4S
17 BMW M4
16 Shelby GT 350
07 Saleen Mustang
02 M3 Comp Pack
79 Corvette
CT ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 03:17 PM   #16
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
GM's warranty is standard in the industry, and you can be rest asssured that things will be covered , noneed for paranoia. The dealers are not under instructions from GM to get cheap on the warranty, if it is truly a product defect. Their reputation in the industry would be worse than it is today if they tried that crap. Now if an outside influence damages something on the car like road debris or environmental factors on the paint, then you would have a problem. But not product/parts failure or design deficiency.

Dealers will not cheap out on warranty either, they make money on it and is paid for what you would pay if you were not in warranty. That is the state law. GM must pay retail labor rate.*

*I'm sure Someone here will post an exception, but it truly is not the standard operating procedure

And as said above, he's just trying to sell extra warranty, don't fall for it. And overall, start to think about finding another dealer, inciting fear/paranoia to sell add-ons is a lousy business practice.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 08:16 PM   #17
baron95
2018 1LE, NASA Instructor

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Who is the dealer?

I can tell you he is full of crap. 3yr/36K is bumper to bumper warranty. In addition there is a longer 5 year powertrain warranty.

ALL warranties only cover what needs to be replaced or fixed due to workmanship or defect. No warranty will cover anything just because you think it is a problem. For example, if you think your car has too much wheel hop when you launch it hard, you can't go to GM and have them "fix" what is not a defect in parts/workmanship - it is a characteristic of the call.

On top of that $5,000 for an additional warranty is beyond ridiculous. If you decide to keep the car longer, you can buy an extended warranty to add more years and more miles and pay ˜$1,000-$2,000. You can buy them over the internet from GM dealers and avoid the ridiculous CT sales tax. E.g. I just paid $800 to have my Jeep Rubicon warranty extended to 6 years, 75,000 miles. The local dealer wanted $2000 for it. Bought from a dealer in Michigan over the internet and they loaded on FCA's warranty system no problem.

It is ridiculous like in this day and age dealer will try to pull this s@$#, when consumers have so much info at their fingertips.

P.S. Where in CT are you? I too am in CT. Bought my 1LE ˜2weeks ago, but been driving the s$#@ out of it. Approaching 900 miles. If it is not snowing/raining and temps are above 30F, I'm driving it.
baron95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 08:44 PM   #18
ssrallyred

Drives: 2017 Summit White ZL1 M6
Extended warranties. Just my 2 cents. They promise the world but SO under deliver in almost every case. I manage a maintenance and repair shop. Have for 20 years with the same company that is 400 locations at current count.

What extended warranty companies don't tell you is many shops don't want to work with them because they all have access to Mitchell, or All Data etc, and know cost on especially dealer parts so they wont let a shop make a dime on the parts. Not 10% even. So a lot of shops don't want to take a job because its just not profitable at all.

In my experience the warranty customer has to shop 5-6 places to find a place that will take the job if they are really slow.

I guess I'm just old school. Most true "defects" are going to happen within 3/36.

The warranties that used car buyers get screwed on are the worst.

Rant off lol
Old 03-20-2018, 08:51 PM   #19
CT ZL1

Drives: 2018 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by baron95 View Post
Who is the dealer?

I can tell you he is full of crap. 3yr/36K is bumper to bumper warranty. In addition there is a longer 5 year powertrain warranty.

ALL warranties only cover what needs to be replaced or fixed due to workmanship or defect. No warranty will cover anything just because you think it is a problem. For example, if you think your car has too much wheel hop when you launch it hard, you can't go to GM and have them "fix" what is not a defect in parts/workmanship - it is a characteristic of the call.

On top of that $5,000 for an additional warranty is beyond ridiculous. If you decide to keep the car longer, you can buy an extended warranty to add more years and more miles and pay ˜$1,000-$2,000. You can buy them over the internet from GM dealers and avoid the ridiculous CT sales tax. E.g. I just paid $800 to have my Jeep Rubicon warranty extended to 6 years, 75,000 miles. The local dealer wanted $2000 for it. Bought from a dealer in Michigan over the internet and they loaded on FCA's warranty system no problem.

It is ridiculous like in this day and age dealer will try to pull this s@$#, when consumers have so much info at their fingertips.

P.S. Where in CT are you? I too am in CT. Bought my 1LE ˜2weeks ago, but been driving the s$#@ out of it. Approaching 900 miles. If it is not snowing/raining and temps are above 30F, I'm driving it.
I am in Faifield County.
If u have the goodyear eagle 1 supercar G tires that I have I dont know how u are keeping that car on the road at temps of 30 cause It was 42 yesterday and my tires stayed cold and slick plus the sand on the roads. I finally put the car away after about 15 miles of driving.
Like I said I hope the dealer was only trying to upsell an extended warranty and there will not be any issues with bumper to bumper warranty for 3yrs but with the wording GM definately gives themself wiggle room to deny repairs and if they pull that BS that sucks

Past Rides
13 Porsche 911 4S
17 BMW M4
16 Shelby GT 350
07 Saleen Mustang
02 M3 Comp Pack
79 Corvette
CT ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 08:59 PM   #20
RLHMARINES
1st Civ. Div.

Drives: Camaroless for now...RIP "Big SexZ"
Quote:
Originally Posted by CT ZL1 View Post
I am in Faifield County.
If u have the goodyear eagle 1 supercar G tires that I have I dont know how u are keeping that car on the road at temps of 30 cause It was 42 yesterday and my tires stayed cold and slick plus the sand on the roads. I finally put the car away after about 15 miles of driving.
Like I said I hope the dealer was only trying to upsell an extended warranty and there will not be any issues with bumper to bumper warranty for 3yrs but with the wording GM definately gives themself wiggle room to deny repairs and if they pull that BS that sucks
You can buy an extended warranty up until the day prior to your factory bumper to bumper warranty expiring. You are covered, don't fall for the okie doke.

Last edited by RLHMARINES; 03-20-2018 at 09:14 PM.
RLHMARINES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 09:08 PM   #21
L99BEN

Drives: 2023 BMW M4 Competition
Quote:
Originally Posted by CT ZL1 View Post
I am in Faifield County.
You’re overthinking this. The warranty will be honered as long as proper maintenance is followed and the car isn’t modded or clearly abused. There is nothing new, the 3/36 and 5/60 still stand, period.

Past:
2022 Tesla S Plaid
2020 Shelby GT500 sold
2019 Hellcat Redeye-traded for new GT500
2019 ZL1 A10 - sold (meh)
2019 Tesla M3P
2016 Hellcat Challenger - A8 sold but never forgotten
2016 Camaro 2SS M6
2014 Mustang GT A6
2012 Mustang GT M6 "brembo" 3.73/FBO
2012 Camaro SS L99 (Wife's)
- slow
L99BEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 10:15 PM   #22
GT-ER

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by unavailablezl1 View Post
He is partially wrong and right. The 12 Month Bumper to Bumper he means is the taking it in for a rattle in the dash, or squeaky knob, or a bump in your trunk. Little nothing stuff like that. Any manufacturer is that way. The mechanical is 3/36 like always.
No, bumper to bumper is 3/36. That includes rattles, squeaks and bumps.
GT-ER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 05:40 AM   #23
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Some consider the first 12mo "customer accomodation" or "adjustments" warranty where the dealer and MFR is more willing to accept claims for bad tires, interior wear, etc. that wouldn't be reasonable after 1 year.

Some luxury makes officially recognize this in their warranty documents, others just make things right for their customers most of the time. Chevy seems to be in the latter group.

This dealer, however, has perverted the concept to try and screw people.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 06:30 AM   #24
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfart View Post
Really??!! I can't believe a sales guy at a dealer would tell a lie to squeeze more money out of someone! Next you're going to tell me that everything on the interwebz isn't true.

I agree, post who who the dealer is, that is a real scumbag tactic. Sad thing is the manufacturers never give the dealer crap about doing such things.
I was being facetious. That means sarcastic. Sorry it went over your head.

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 07:10 AM   #25
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZED SLED View Post
I was being facetious. That means sarcastic. Sorry it went over your head.
Looks like his went over your head. Lol. While sarcasm is hard to tell over text, Oldfart's reply comes off pretty sarcastic too.

Oh and facetious has a very different meaning than sarcastic.

Last edited by motorhead; 03-21-2018 at 11:46 AM.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 07:18 AM   #26
Stocktastic

Drives: 2017 Hyper Blue SS 1LE
That bit about only covering it if it fails is true. It’s been that way ever since warranties first started.

If you tune your car and it blows up, that’s not GM’s issue. If your dash is rattling at 30k miles and 2.5 years and the dash hasn’t been modified, that IS GM’s problem and it would be covered.
Stocktastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 09:18 AM   #27
MoreSpeed

Drives: 2017 Hyper Blue A10 ZL1
ps. $5000 is an awful lot to charge for an extended warranty. It seems your dealer is not factual on the need for the extended warranty AND they are trying to screw you on the price. Time for a new dealer. I bet your new car needs new spark plugs also and scotch guard for $500.

Sold 2010 997 GT3, 2016 WRX, 2006 997 C2S, 2003 996 C4S, 2001 Boxster S, 1997 E420 AMG
etc..
MoreSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 12:18 PM   #28
solarstingray

Drives: 2014 c7 corvette and 2017 camaro ss
extended warranties are a joke, had it on my c7 then had it removed,
solarstingray is offline   Reply With Quote