Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 03-19-2018, 03:52 PM   #1
dw760

Drives: C3
New ZL1 A 10 Trans line Leak

Hi all

Just got back from my dealership paying for my new 2018 ZL1, and servicing it with the tech. Last up was going over the entire chassis and visual checks.

Well just my luck the top trans line that enters the aluminum machine block on the side of the trans is leaking, and fluid was running down the line.

Enough to have drips on the floor !

It appears to be a press in line or made as part of the block. They need to investigate and order all the parts needed.

Sure glad I spotted this since ATF and cats do do to well together

Anyone else have this happen or get a bad one like mine ?

All I hope is the parts dont end up being on back order.

You may want to eye ball your A 10 cars now and then and keep and eye on the lines at the aluminum block.

Thanks Dale
dw760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 04:51 PM   #2
Chevyman2

Drives: 2018 zl1
Quote:
Originally Posted by dw760 View Post
Hi all

Just got back from my dealership paying for my new 2018 ZL1, and servicing it with the tech. Last up was going over the entire chassis and visual checks.

Well just my luck the top trans line that enters the aluminum machine block on the side of the trans is leaking, and fluid was running down the line.

Enough to have drips on the floor !

It appears to be a press in line or made as part of the block. They need to investigate and order all the parts needed.

Sure glad I spotted this since ATF and cats do do to well together

Anyone else have this happen or get a bad one like mine ?

All I hope is the parts dont end up being on back order.

You may want to eye ball your A 10 cars now and then and keep and eye on the lines at the aluminum block.

Thanks Dale
So far mine is good I will keep eye out thanks for advance notice. What’s your build date month and year? This info is located on driver side door threshold area sticker it’s grey.
Chevyman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 05:07 PM   #3
ninetres

Drives: Crush ZLE M6 | 2000 Corvette FRC
First leaking a10 I’ve read about.
ninetres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 08:39 PM   #4
dw760

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevyman2 View Post
So far mine is good I will keep eye out thanks for advance notice. What’s your build date month and year? This info is located on driver side door threshold area sticker it’s grey.

I ordered the car, and it just came in 2 days ago. It a was built a couple weeks ago.

DW
Old 03-19-2018, 08:46 PM   #5
dw760

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninetres View Post
First leaking a10 I’ve read about.
Hi nine

Just my luck literally

Its a defective line, or feed block, bad press fit into the aluminum block, or they (GM) tweaked the damn thing and its cracked.

Im not sure if its one piece part of the feed block or not. They aren't either.

Im heading back down there in the morning to be sure they get the parts on order.

Not the dealers fault but its a bummer !

D
Old 03-19-2018, 09:44 PM   #6
Chevyman2

Drives: 2018 zl1
Quote:
Originally Posted by dw760 View Post
I ordered the car, and it just came in 2 days ago. It a was built a couple weeks ago.

DW
Just to narrow it down does have 02/18 build sticker or 03/18 build sticker?

Last edited by Chevyman2; 03-19-2018 at 10:12 PM.
Chevyman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 10:21 PM   #7
hashtag

Drives: 2018 ZL1 A10/2018 GT350R #JR603
This happen to me. It was the main seal & according to the GM engineer that came out my ZL1 is not alone. General motors paid a technician at my work to tear it down & report back what was observed. New A10 at #280 miles on the odometer. Apparently GM will not open these transmissions up for repair purposes & they just switch them out. Down for #25 days & 9K later it is repaired. Some department within GM pulled the A10 from assembly because it was not available. The factory paid me a bunch of money because of the failure so I am ok with it happening. Contributed towards diminished value.
Old 03-20-2018, 06:24 AM   #8
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:
Originally Posted by hashtag View Post
This happen to me. It was the main seal & according to the GM engineer that came out my ZL1 is not alone. General motors paid a technician at my work to tear it down & report back what was observed. New A10 at #280 miles on the odometer. Apparently GM will not open these transmissions up for repair purposes & they just switch them out. Down for #25 days & 9K later it is repaired. Some department within GM pulled the A10 from assembly because it was not available. The factory paid me a bunch of money because of the failure so I am ok with it happening. Contributed towards diminished value.
It cost you $9,000 and you got money for diminished value? #confused. Lol
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 07:22 AM   #9
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
This is why my sales person was leading me towards the M6 since I always buy manuals. But I might just take a chance on a well priced A10.
Old 03-20-2018, 08:14 AM   #10
hashtag

Drives: 2018 ZL1 A10/2018 GT350R #JR603
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
It cost you $9,000 and you got money for diminished value? #confused. Lol

The warranty paid for it not me. I can access GM Global system from work & I can see what they paid for the warranty claim. I hired a lawyer of course for a lemon law claim. GM Settled instead.
Old 03-20-2018, 09:51 AM   #11
dw760

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevyman2 View Post
Just to narrow it down does have 02/18 build sticker or 03/18 build sticker?

I dont have the car in front of me, its on the lift at the dealer. It was built the week of 2-26-18. Landed by rail to Milpitas CA distribution center 3-10-18.

Just got to the Wild West Chevrolet in Yerington NV 3-18-18

No excuse for this one IMO, it should have never left the plant like this.

Here it is on the 18th

Dale
Attached Images

Last edited by dw760; 03-20-2018 at 10:26 AM.
Old 03-20-2018, 09:57 AM   #12
dw760

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
This is why my sales person was leading me towards the M6 since I always buy manuals. But I might just take a chance on a well priced A10.
Dont ever listen to a sales person, and I doubt a rear main has much to do with the A 10. Plus have many rear seals have failed.

To have it happen when the car is brand new like 280 miles, is a bad seal or improper install.

D
Old 03-20-2018, 10:07 AM   #13
dw760

Quote:

If they have to pull my trans out I may go the same route. They shouldn't have to but, who the hell knows at this point. I really dont want them tearing it down.

Approximately how much did you get back from GM for diminished value ? PM me if you get time please.

All I know is I wrote a check yesterday for $67040.25 and the brand new non driven car is on a lift.

Dont get me wrong I like my dealer, the owner and the crew there, but they better get on it.

I will go down there today and report back. Hopefully it goes smooth, they can get the parts so it wont be to painful, but we will see.

Thank you for your post hashtag

DW

Last edited by dw760; 03-20-2018 at 10:20 AM.
Old 03-20-2018, 10:12 AM   #14
ReefBlueCoupe

Drives: '18 ZL1 1LE MBM
Quote:
The warranty paid for it not me. I can access GM Global system from work & I can see what they paid for the warranty claim. I hired a lawyer of course for a lemon law claim. GM Settled instead.
Was there a thread about this? It'd be nice to have those details in case, you know, one of us had that problem.