Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 03-20-2018, 06:33 AM   #15
Anim8er

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Convertible
As others have said, the paint on your vehicle is paper thin. I decided to ceramic coat my 2018 ZL-1 after reading about it on this and other sites. Like others, I take pride in my vehicle and, as a retired Fireman... it came with the territory.... It is rare to see a filthy firetruck... ever!

I chose to take mine to a professional, as my choices were XPel or Ceramic Coating. I'm glad I did. First, they did all the stripping and paint correction. From what they said, the paint was in rough shape. Even though I picked the vehicle up with ONLY 10 miles on the odometer and listened to the "claim" by the dealer that the vehicle was hand washed only twice, the detailer states otherwise. This was quite evident by the swirl marks left by the "whipping rags" car wash that most dealers have.

The paint was perfect when they were finished and, as mentioned, with several coats of ceramic, they will stand behind it for 7 years with proper maintenance performed by them for a nominal inspection fee.

No, the cost wasn't cheap, but combined with interior protection, top protection (I have a convertible) and coating the wheels, it was worth the investment.... and, that is how it should be viewed... as an investment.

My $.02
Anim8er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 05:22 PM   #16
drfeelgood

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Convertible A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anim8er View Post
As others have said, the paint on your vehicle is paper thin. I decided to ceramic coat my 2018 ZL-1 after reading about it on this and other sites. Like others, I take pride in my vehicle and, as a retired Fireman... it came with the territory.... It is rare to see a filthy firetruck... ever!

I chose to take mine to a professional, as my choices were XPel or Ceramic Coating. I'm glad I did. First, they did all the stripping and paint correction. From what they said, the paint was in rough shape. Even though I picked the vehicle up with ONLY 10 miles on the odometer and listened to the "claim" by the dealer that the vehicle was hand washed only twice, the detailer states otherwise. This was quite evident by the swirl marks left by the "whipping rags" car wash that most dealers have.

The paint was perfect when they were finished and, as mentioned, with several coats of ceramic, they will stand behind it for 7 years with proper maintenance performed by them for a nominal inspection fee.

No, the cost wasn't cheap, but combined with interior protection, top protection (I have a convertible) and coating the wheels, it was worth the investment.... and, that is how it should be viewed... as an investment.

My $.02
'17 White ZL1 A10 Convertible - TM ported TB - RotoFab CAI - 2.3" griptech upper pulley - Kooks 1 7/8" Headers with High Flow Cats - Borla S-type Catback - Audio Overhaul - NavTV M650-GM - 20" BlackDiForza- Michelin Pilot Sport4S - Tuned at BRC Raceworks (606rwhp/675trq)

'14 CTS-V Coupe - ZL1 lid - Ported TB - Ported Snout - AirRad CAI - 8.66" lower - 2.55" upper- Greenbelt - SW Headers - SW Catback - Varimax Intercooler Pump - Track Attack Intercooler-Tuned at BRC Raceworks (551rwhp/516trq)

'17 Maserati Levante- STOCK
drfeelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 11:39 PM   #17
Canadian ZL1

Drives: 2017 ZL1, 1995 Trans Am
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anim8er View Post

My $.02
Double
Old 03-21-2018, 01:41 PM   #18
Flexhorn

Drives: A10 ZL1
Thanks for the tips.

One more question. What care should be done to the carbon fiber hood insert? I can't remember the reasoning but the sales rep told me not to wax it.

Thx
Flexhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 01:46 PM   #19
ReefBlueCoupe

Drives: '18 ZL1 1LE MBM
It's clearcoated. You can wax/seal/ceramic/wrap it without any problems just as you would the rest of the body of the car. It is not bare CF.
Old 03-21-2018, 01:48 PM   #20
ninetres

Drives: Crush ZLE M6 | 2000 Corvette FRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flexhorn View Post
Thanks for the tips.

One more question. What care should be done to the carbon fiber hood insert? I can't remember the reasoning but the sales rep told me not to wax it.

Thx
I used essence polish by hand, and ceramic coated it. No issues that I noticed. I’m thinking maybe the clear coat used on exposed insert is softer or more sensitive than the paints clear. Just be gentle haha.
ninetres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 10:08 PM   #21
Sharp Shifter

Drives: 98 Transam drag car SOLD now 17 ZL1
I just finished correcting and coating mine, I'm a professional installer and I still like cquartz UK the best. Stuff works great, ceramic pro 10h is intense stuff but have to be a pro installer to get it and be ready to pay $$$$$
Attached Images

Sold 780rwhp 840rwtq 98 Trans Am
Current car 2017 ZL1 Camaro
Sharp Shifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 11:48 PM   #22
Liralen

Drives: 2013 KBM Camaro 2SS Hot Wheels
Am an Adams Polishes user for five years & a reseller for the last 7 months (not selling on here...just background info) so know the products and pricing quite well. Their Paint Coating kit is $149.99, while their wheel coating kit is $129.99. The difference is the hardness levels. They also have a trim coating, it is only a 5H kit, as trim is more flexible so a coating with a lower hardness level will allow more flex on what it is applied (especially when considering the speeds that you may get your ZL1 up to if you are racing). Wheel coating is hardest as it is has the hardest environment (brake dust, dirt/chemicals on the road, & wheel cleaner chemicals). Like everyone else has stated, making sure you paint is corrected first is a must (regardless of the brand of coating you use). While paste waxes will superficially fill in a minor scratch/swirls, a coating will not. When you put a coating on, what your paint looks like will only be enhanced.

Last week with Adams Polishes products, I finished paint correcting and coating a brand new 100th Anniversary Silverado Centennial. While it was new, it definitely needed paint correction. But better to do it now, then later. I didn't even use a half of the 50ML bottle from the kit. So easily could do two vehicles and a motorcycle.

Would also recommend getting expel wrap on the front bumper before you apply the coating, that will actually prevent the rock chips and is fairly inexpensive.

If you are not comfortable doing your own paint correction, seek out a highly reputable detailer in your area. There are also quite a few great detailers on the forum and many of us who are always willing to help someone learn!

Garage:
2013 HotWheels SE Camaro, Coupe, V8, 2SS, Auto, #987 (aka V8HOTTY)
2014 Z51 Stingray 3LT Corvette, M7, Coupe - Laguna Blue Metallic
2016 Harley Davidson Roadglide, Screaming Eagle
2017 50th Anniv SE Camaro, Vert, V8, 2SS, M6, NAV, NPP, #537 (aka FIFTY)
2017 Silverado High Country, full bed/crew cab, Iridescent Pearl Tricoat
2018 Silverado LTZ, short bed/crew cab, 100th Anniv, Centennial Blue (aka CENTURY)
Liralen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 12:15 AM   #23
ninetres

Drives: Crush ZLE M6 | 2000 Corvette FRC
Damn black cars just aren’t fair to compete with as far as a quality detail goes. Amazing!
ninetres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 08:18 AM   #24
hawk02
Coupe Newbie

Drives: 2017 ZL1, 2021 Corvette Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninetres View Post
Damn black cars just aren’t fair to compete with as far as a quality detail goes. Amazing!
Couldn't agree more. Too bad all the detailing glory only lasts until the first drive.
Attached Images

Old 03-22-2018, 02:48 PM   #25
Sharp Shifter

Drives: 98 Transam drag car SOLD now 17 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk02 View Post
Couldn't agree more. Too bad all the detailing glory only lasts until the first drive.
Twin!

Sold 780rwhp 840rwtq 98 Trans Am
Current car 2017 ZL1 Camaro
Sharp Shifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 04:30 PM   #26
kaamacat

Drives: 2018 ZL1/1LE Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flexhorn View Post
I just bought my red ZL1 yesterday and have been told I need to put a ceramic coat on it. The only ones I've found are from Adams for over $500! Any suggestions on other good brands for les? Thx
Had my dealer (Hendrick in Buford) say exactly the same... The ceramic is NOT near the protection of a PPF like XPel or Suntek. Sure great for paint finish protection, not so much for what is coming off the road at ya. Some go with PPF on the car front, rockers, front/rear of rear fender areas and then add Ceramic over all of that. If you are not going the higher level professional stuff, CQuartz you can do at a reasonable price. Like anything its in the prep and then the install.

In the grand scheme of things, PPF is more expensive but far superior for protection of the paint. Ceramic great for the mystery rain, sprinklers and other unwanted items dropping onto the car. BUT, you get one chance at a Ceramic install. Once cured its a whole new world to fix it. (Especially on darker colored cars.....black could be a nightmare). End of day, with Ceramic, I don't care what its doing out, you still will need to wash the car.... do the occasional detail spray....

2018 ZL1 1LE (Red) - New Dec 2017
2015 ViperGT (Gunmetal w/Red stripes)
2013 ZR1 Anniversary
2014 ZL1 - BrightYellow, 6sp
2011 Porsche GT3RS - White w/red graphics
2009 Porsche C2S
2001 Ferrari 360
kaamacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 06:04 PM   #27
hawk02
Coupe Newbie

Drives: 2017 ZL1, 2021 Corvette Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp Shifter View Post
Twin!
Yep. I saw the HRE FF04s in Liquid Metal on your car and really liked how they looked with the black paint color. My detailer, Esoteric Fine Auto Finishing, is an authorized HRE dealer. I had my car into them last November to have more paint protection film applied to the rear end. I bit the bullet and purchased the HRE wheels wrapped in Michelin PS4S tires. I Couldn't be happier with combination.

They say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. I appreciate your cutting edge spirit to be the first to put a set of HRE FF04s in liquid metal on a black ZL1. I would have never considered that combination had I not seen your car.
Old 03-24-2018, 01:15 AM   #28
bobby35ny

Drives: 18 ZL1 A10
Spent 3 days on my friends car.
Megs 105/205, Essence, 2 coats of CQUK and 2 coats of Gliss.
Will do the wheels next week, going to change the pads to Ceramic.