#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 10-23-2017, 04:33 PM   #43
bensf

Drives: ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Provoste View Post
Very cool. Yep, longtime Rennlister myself. I sold my Boxster S to get a ‘17 SS 1LE, and my dad just sold his GT4 and is taking delivery of a ZL1 1LE later this week. I’m familiar with Orthojoe from the GT4 board. Though two Porsche’s are now gone in favor of Camaros... the forever car the 964 C2 (seriously Track prepped).
Love track prepped 964's! There are a few around here and they are seriously fast. I've driven Joe's GT4 several time on track. It's a great car and the handling is sublime but needs more power. I think the ZL1 1LE is just as satisfying but for different reasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17CamaroZL1 View Post
Funny video of your friends! Thanks for posting!
No problem. We all had a good laugh.
bensf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 05:41 PM   #44
Race Car

Drives: 997 2S, 991.2 GT3, ZLE 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by bensf View Post
Looks like a lot of Porsche people here. Some of you may know Orthojoe from Rennlist. He has a GT3 which I co-own with him and he also has a GT4. This is a video he put together of me in the GT3 on it's first day on track if you're interested. We spent that day beating each other's lap times back and forth throughout the day. It was great fun.

https://youtu.be/SRm0TbdFSYE

This is him in my car a few days ago. I basically handed the car over to him and our buddy Mike without much instruction and comedy ensued lol.

https://youtu.be/6mezOQExTYE
Ha I laughed so hard....
Race Car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 08:54 AM   #45
RedHot18

Drives: 2018 ZL1
This car rocks on a track! Great looking too! Nice job.
RedHot18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 10:34 AM   #46
bensf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Race Car View Post
Ha I laughed so hard....
Glad you enjoyed it haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHot18 View Post
This car rocks on a track! Great looking too! Nice job.
Thanks man
Old 10-24-2017, 02:38 PM   #47
Electron Mike

Drives: 2018 ZL1
Quote:
Thanks. No issue whatsoever. Brake travel got a little longer after the first session but I think it was due to not bedding the brakes prior to the event. The brakes are really phenomenal even with the stock pads and I didn't experience any fade. I do have a set of Ferodo DS1.11 brake pads on order and will give them a try next. Ambient temps were in the mid to high 60's. Great day to be out on track but not a good day to test if the car will overheat or not.
That is good to hear about the brakes. I ran DS1.11's and J hooks on my GT4 and loved them. I wasn't aware they made them for the ZL1! Please confirm part numbers and fitment when you swap them.

Did you have the car aligned before the track day? Tire wear looks pretty even.
Electron Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 02:47 PM   #48
Provoste

Drives: E46 S54 race car, 964C2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electron Mike View Post
That is good to hear about the brakes. I ran DS1.11's and J hooks on my GT4 and loved them. I wasn't aware they made them for the ZL1! Please confirm part numbers and fitment when you swap them.

Also, confirm these are specific to the ZL1 and not common to SS 1LE. The SS 1LE has the exact same caliper as the ZL1, but 20mm smaller rotors.
SS 1LE pads fit the ZL1 fine, but you’re not taking advantage of the 20mm increase in swept area! This is exactly what any current ZL1 owner using hawk DTC 60/70’s (649 part #) right now is doing. Hawk will have a ZL1 specific pad by the end of the year I’m told.
Provoste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 02:56 PM   #49
bensf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electron Mike View Post

I got them from Clark a Apex Performance. I will confirm once I receive them. The DS1.11 are my second favorite pads next to the Endless ME20's. I did not have time to get an alignment. Rotated the camber plates to track setting the night before the track event and took my chances

Quote:
Also, confirm these are specific to the ZL1 and not common to SS 1LE. The SS 1LE has the exact same caliper as the ZL1, but 20mm smaller rotors.
SS 1LE pads fit the ZL1 fine, but you’re not taking advantage of the 20mm increase in swept area! This is exactly what any current ZL1 owner using hawk DTC 60/70’s (649 part #) right now is doing. Hawk will have a ZL1 specific pad by the end of the year I’m told.
Thanks for the heads up. I'll compare them to the oem pad size once they arrive.
Old 10-24-2017, 05:00 PM   #50
Race Car

Drives: 997 2S, 991.2 GT3, ZLE 1LE
Obviously different cars with very different weights.... but how were the 3R's vs the PSC2?
Race Car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 07:44 PM   #51
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Not sure it matters in this situation, but the ZL1 calipers are a bit bigger.
Old 10-24-2017, 08:16 PM   #52
Provoste

Drives: E46 S54 race car, 964C2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
Not sure it matters in this situation, but the ZL1 calipers are a bit bigger.
Do you have part #’s to reference that ‘17 SS 1LE and ZL1 calipers are different sizes? Everything I’ve read indicates ZL1 rotors and pads are larger, but calipers are identical to SS 1LE.
Provoste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 10:30 PM   #53
bensf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Race Car View Post
Obviously different cars with very different weights.... but how were the 3R's vs the PSC2?
I like them better so far. They don't seem to fall off as much at the end of a session as the Cup2's. I think they'll be horrible in the wet though based on light drizzle conditions I encountered on the street, the tread pattern and depth. The price is great though if they can last 3 track days.

Last edited by bensf; 10-25-2017 at 12:24 AM.
Old 10-25-2017, 12:06 AM   #54
mr965

Drives: ///M3
Quote:
Looks like a lot of Porsche people here. Some of you may know Orthojoe from Rennlist. He has a GT3 which I co-own with him and he also has a GT4. This is a video he put together of me in the GT3 on it's first day on track if you're interested. We spent that day beating each other's lap times back and forth throughout the day. It was great fun.

https://youtu.be/SRm0TbdFSYE

This is him in my car a few days ago. I basically handed the car over to him and our buddy Mike without much instruction and comedy ensued lol.

https://youtu.be/6mezOQExTYE
Hilarious! Looks like you guys had as much fun as I did on my first few events. I look forward to coming down to NorCal next season and perhaps running into you guys.
mr965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 07:40 AM   #55
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Do you have part #’s to reference that ‘17 SS 1LE and ZL1 calipers are different sizes? Everything I’ve read indicates ZL1 rotors and pads are larger, but calipers are identical to SS 1LE.
It was a while ago in another thread - I didn't record it...but also having the cars sitting side by side it was pretty apparent. When I get a chance, I will try to look it up.

The SS 1LE calipers are the same/similar size to last-gen ZL1.

The new ZL1 calipers are the same/similar as last-gen Z/28.

Quote:
I like them better so far. They don't seem to fall off as much at the end of a session as the Cup2's. I think they'll be horrible in the wet though based on light drizzle conditions I encountered on the street, the tread pattern and depth. The price is great though if they can last 3 track days.

...ended up in a downpour on my way to CamaroFest...had to slow down to 45mph on a 70mph highway to keep from sliding around. But as long as there is no standing water, they weren't horrible. On track - PTM wet mode was pretty nice.
Old 10-25-2017, 07:50 AM   #56
RUQWIKR

Drives: 1LEs
Quote:
The J6H (all ZL1) rotors are also 2mm front and rear thicker than the J6M (SS 1LE). The J6H calipers also have bigger pistons (51.5% up front - I have not measured the rears yet) as well and, as mentioned, take larger area pads (same thickness).

The J6H front pistons are 30, 34, & 38mm diameter while the J6M are 24, 27, & 32.
RUQWIKR is offline   Reply With Quote