Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-25-2020, 05:38 PM   #1
Jay5

Drives: 2014 Camaro LS v6
Talking Performance upgrading a 2014 LS

Alright so I’m really wanting to upgrade the Camaro LS knowing that it is in fact a v6. Clearly a v8 is better but I mean, is it really? Ive found videos on YouTube of enthusiasts that have integrated twin turbos/super chargers and produced impressive results. I am just trying to educate myself more as well as learn from others that have done this since I don’t have friends that are deep into cars like I assume a lot of you all are here. I am still reading up a lot and hope to receive some honest and constructive advice and approaches before I commit to the drops in money. Maybe get Some insight too from people who have dropped large amounts of money and those who have made it happen on a budget. Best and trusted parts dealers and brands would be much appreciated too. Hope to hear some good stuff.
Jay5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 05:55 PM   #2
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
im sure that you could make a V6 into a real screamer but you would probably spend as much as you would to trade it in on a nice used SS or ZL-1.there is a section in here dealing with turboed V-6s though.im happy to own a 6 cylinder that makes as much power as an old school V-8 and still gets great mileage,and my street racing days are over,at 63 my better judgement is against it.
redcoats1976 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 08:04 PM   #3
ariZona28
Give speed a chance

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2LS, 2015 Camaro Z/28
Yep, +1 on above. The LFX 6 is a capable little beast but it needs a heap 'o cash to perform like a V8. Reliability and driveability may also suffer. As has been repeated so often if you want V8 performance purchase a nice LS3 powered vehicle as a starting point, you'll save $$$ and aggravation. If you want, you can do a few suspension and wheel/tire improvements to your '14 to make it handle better.
Attached Images

Old 07-26-2020, 01:04 AM   #4
mikeman
Banned

Drives: 2015 Camaro
It seems full bolt-ons with the best tune could get you just above the 300rwhp threshhold like some here have done. The problem is the extra 20-35 rwhp that it would take to match or beat a stock V8. That is just matching a stock engine though. For a modded V8, you would need forced induction of some kind or a big nitrous hit and that will become expensive real quick.

The major issue is there is not much aftermarket support for the V6. People are not experimenting with their cars like the other drivetrain options. Most do some basic bolt-ons and just leave it at that. Or, they eventually upgrade to a V8 or another platform altogether and enjoy the larger aftermarket that those engines have.

Full bolt-ons and nitrous could do it just for those occasions you wanted to run against a V8. I think the goal here is not to match a stock 5th gen V8, which is really not all that fast these days. No offense, but think about it. To compete with the best of the best these days, C8 for example, you would need to run low 11's or better and 0-60 in sub 3 secs. That would take F.I. and it would certainly have to be a custom built twin turbo setup since no one makes a TT setup that is pure bolt on anymore.

I think the best senario would be full bolt-on and a tune with nitrous for those times you might run against modded V8. Or, just spend the $$$ for a custom twin turbo setup. Otherwise, just be happy with the stock or bolt-on power until you can upgrade to a V8 or even a completely different platform like a Mustang which has a lot of aftermarket support.

My $.03
mikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 02:07 AM   #5
ariZona28
Give speed a chance

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2LS, 2015 Camaro Z/28
Jay5, scroll on over to the Forced Induction-V6 section of this forum. Check out the 2010 Camaro with a twin turbo LFX V6 created by member "alice". Probably the most wicked V6 Camaro on planet Earth. You would probably need a home equity loan to duplicate his engineering masterpiece.
Old 07-26-2020, 09:17 AM   #6
xstuntman

Drives: 2012 Victory Red LFX
Will at Overkill up in Canada makes a lot of stuff for the V6 Camaro but good luck getting a hold of him. And unless you go forced you will struggle to pass 360 HP (crank) on that little motor while spending many thousands and struggling with tripping codes.

The best performance upgrade would be gears. Unfortunately if you have the automatic your swinging in the wind since nobody ever made a set. An auto with 3.91s in place of the 2.92s would really be a lot of fun.

I just work on the look and enjoy the looks it gets.
2018 SS wheels, red Heritage grille, actual driving lights, ZL1 strut tower brace, GM Performance billet aluminum fuel door, front grille Bowtie delete, painted red rotors and calipers, 1/4 window American Flags, splash guards, AEM dry panel air filter.
xstuntman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 12:30 PM   #7
KenKat

Drives: 2014 2LT RS Summit White
I think the V6 Camaro is really meant to drive around and have some fun with but agree with the above that if you are looking at maximizing performance, you will always be chasing the V8s. Because no matter how much horsepower you can wring out of that engine, you’re going to be running into Mustang GTs, Challenger SRTs and even Camaro SS that will just have a huge advantage over you right from the start.
KenKat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2014, building, camaro ls, performance, upgrading