Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro Convertible

AWE Tuning

Old 02-14-2018, 12:17 AM   #1
urirx98

Drives: 2016 Bumble Bee Yellow 2SS
Car washes

How many times a month would you say you wash you convertible, and do you take it to a professional or do it yourself?? I ask as they are finally opening one of the best car washes pretty close by and im sure they will have kick ass grand opening deals, plus they have great coupons for washes and wax, but ive never owned a Conv so im concerned about it. Info would help, thanks
wg
Old 02-14-2018, 12:32 AM   #2
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Carwashes are fine every so often, but if you do them every week on a car after a couple years, you will have microscratches. Try not to make it a habit. Even if it’s a touchless, it uses a soap which is caustic and bad for softer items like a top. Learn to do a rinseless wash, click on the link below -it will take you 15 to 20 minutes to do a car without a hose.

Google RAGGTOP for good conv top cleaning kits....

A couple years of carwashes on a weekly basis can get you this:
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 07:49 AM   #3
man0steel

Drives: 2016 2LT vert 2.0 R/S A8
2016 2LT 2.0 convertible, mosaic black, 2300 miles. I have washed & waxed my car with Maguiar's 3 times since it was new, 303 for the top. About 5 dry washes, two lint rollers and 1 California duster. Still looks brand new.
man0steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 08:07 AM   #4
Gen6 softtop

Drives: Hyper blue 1ss convertible 6 sp
Depends how anal or how much therapy it provides. I would never use an auto car Wash with my vert. I hand wash 1 a week if weather's nice.
Gen6 softtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 06:06 PM   #5
1CEBITN

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS Vert w/2SS
Don't take your convertible through a car wash, you will end up with water in the car and it will likely damage the top. Those tops aren't meant to keep that much water out at the pressure those touchless car washes use nor are they meant to be beat with the agitators. You need to do it by hand.
1CEBITN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 11:51 AM   #6
redman

Drives: 18 2SS Vert
I have not had a problem with automatic car washes on my convertible. if the weather is warm it's hand washing for sure. Have stayed away from touchless because of the higher pressure but no problem with the touch type washes. This is based upon maybe 25 times going through the automatic wash. Our local Chevy dealer has an automatic wash and they said it's no problem to wash the vert's.
redman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 11:56 AM   #7
Glen e

Quote:
Originally Posted by redman View Post
I have not had a problem with automatic car washes on my convertible. if the weather is warm it's hand washing for sure. Have stayed away from touchless because of the higher pressure but no problem with the touch type washes. This is based upon maybe 25 times going through the automatic wash. Our local Chevy dealer has an automatic wash and they said it's no problem to wash the vert's.
Your car is new. Wait a couple years and then you'll see the leaks.

Car washes dont do short term damage, they do long-term damage
Old 02-23-2018, 12:03 PM   #8
redman

Car is 5 years old, no leaks whatsoever.
Old 02-23-2018, 02:14 PM   #9
1CEBITN

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS Vert w/2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by redman View Post
Our local Chevy dealer has an automatic wash and they said it's no problem to wash the vert's.
Interesting. My dealer told me never to use an automatic car wash when I bought mine and I hadn't really thought about that before I bought it. They won't put verts through theirs. It does make me really glad they have waterless wash products now for the winter time!
1CEBITN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 02:20 PM   #10
Glen e

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1CEBITN View Post
. It does make me really glad they have waterless wash products now for the winter time!
Don't confuse waterless with rinseless. Waterless can scratch your car if not done absolutely perfect, rinseless is much more forgiving, and does not scratch. See the link in my signature for how to do a rinseless wash.
Old 02-24-2018, 02:51 PM   #11
CruzinQueen

Drives: 2017 1LT RS Convertible V6 A8
All new vehicles must pass a rigid final inspection after assembly that includes running the car through a simulated "torrential downpour". Today's cars are built much better than the 'verts of the past and can withstand significantly more "weather" than their predecessors. But, a valid point was made earlier; as the car begins to age the seals will become less effective at keeping the water out. You should not have to worry about that, though for another 7-10 years at least. Today's silicone rubber seals are also much better.

That being said, yes, you can certainly take the 'vert through an automatic car wash, but as others have stated, do so with extreme caution! Little has been done to improve car wash technology in the last 20 years and I cringe at those rubbery finger things roughly caressing my paint with the dirt from the SUV that just crossed ahead of me!

Touchless automatics in the winter for me to get the road salt off and then ONR in the warmer weather.

2019 GMC Terrain SLE 1.5T - Blue Steel Metallic/Black Cloth "Soccer Mom Spec"
CruzinQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 06:39 PM   #12
redman

The brushless washes were a good advancement. On my older Vette's they would turn the top brush off for vert's. The newer brushless felt ribbons are not harmful to the top as much.
Old 02-24-2018, 09:20 PM   #13
born-to-fish-

Drives: Fifty 2SS Vert
The owners manual says not to run the vert thru an automatic car wash, only hand wash for me..
born-to-fish- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 07:39 AM   #14
redman

Here is what the manual says:
Avoid automatic car washes with overhead brushes or very high pressure sprays as they can cause damage and leaking.
Regular "soft touch" auto washes have neither overhead brushes or very high pressure sprays.
Of course we are free to do whatever we are comfortable with.