Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Nav, Radar, Electronics

AWE Tuning

Old 12-28-2017, 02:21 PM   #1
Midnight_Madness

Drives: none
Sticky audio upgrade thread?

Searching the forums for info on upgrading the audio system........
Theres a lot of information spread out over many threads.

Can we get a someone to compile all the info into one thread and get a mod to sticky it?
Midnight_Madness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 09:15 PM   #2
miketan

Drives: 2018 HBM SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight_Madness View Post
Searching the forums for info on upgrading the audio system........
Theres a lot of information spread out over many threads.

Can we get a someone to compile all the info into one thread and get a mod to sticky it?
I started to do it but got busy and could not find the time. Plus many image links seem to have died :(

As a side note... If my amp and lc2i fit in the foam thing in my trunk should I be worried about using it? I am not sure how hot the amp gets and don't want to risk melting something or starting a fire.
miketan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 10:28 PM   #3
chris227

Drives: 2020 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by miketan View Post
I started to do it but got busy and could not find the time. Plus many image links seem to have died :(

As a side note... If my amp and lc2i fit in the foam thing in my trunk should I be worried about using it? I am not sure how hot the amp gets and don't want to risk melting something or starting a fire.
A good amp doesn't get hot. If it's a decent amp, you have no worries.
chris227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 12:02 PM   #4
drfeelgood

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Convertible A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris227 View Post
A good amp doesn't get hot. If it's a decent amp, you have no worries.
That isn't entirely accurate . An amp's efficiency is based on a number of things. Type of built in heat sinks and internal fans are definitely onboard in high end amps, and can greatly improve temperatures, but in general, the most efficient amp is going to be a class D amp. The least efficient amp will be a class A or AB.

In my CTSv, I have the following amplfiers:

Audison Voce 5.1K
Audison Voce Av Quattro
Audison Sr2 (for rear fill)

The Voce amplifiers are ultra high end and hi fidelity amplifiers. At $1700 and $1200 per amp respectively, they are by no means inexpensive, but in this case you get what you pay for.

http://www.pasmag.com/car-audio/repo...v51k-amplifier

This is a review of one of the amplifiers. I run this system in full digital configuration using Tos Link fiber optic cables.

But these amps get HOT! They draw a lot of current, as max efficiency is only ~64% which is expected in a class A/AB amplifier.

In contrast, I went with Hybrid Audio technologies Amplifiers in my ZL1 convertible, which are class d amplifiers, and have max efficiency of >92%. They never overheat, regardless of how long and hard I play music.
'17 White ZL1 A10 Convertible - TM ported TB - RotoFab CAI - 2.3" griptech upper pulley - Kooks 1 7/8" Headers with High Flow Cats - Borla S-type Catback - Audio Overhaul - NavTV M650-GM - 20" BlackDiForza- Michelin Pilot Sport4S - Tuned at BRC Raceworks (606rwhp/675trq)

'14 CTS-V Coupe - ZL1 lid - Ported TB - Ported Snout - AirRad CAI - 8.66" lower - 2.55" upper- Greenbelt - SW Headers - SW Catback - Varimax Intercooler Pump - Track Attack Intercooler-Tuned at BRC Raceworks (551rwhp/516trq)

'17 Maserati Levante- STOCK
drfeelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 07:54 PM   #5
miketan

Drives: 2018 HBM SS 1LE
I opted for a safer approach and grabbed a piece of scrap wood (really nice oak actually) for free from home depot. Overall I am very happy with my results. I had a old amp sitting around (mediocre $50 boss) and only had to spend $200 for the lc2i, wiring, fuse splitter, taps, speaker and box. Not even close to audiophile but for the price it was 100% worth it. I can spend some time soon to make a write up for any 1le folks but the hardest part of the whole install was the ergonomics...my back and glutes are killing me from working in the backseat and trunk.
miketan is offline   Reply With Quote