Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 09-01-2015, 10:20 AM   #1
RubyCamaro
Jan

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT Red Jewel tintcoat
Vitesse & drag strip questions

Thanks to the generosity of C5 friend Hammdo (thanks again!) Ruby will soon be sporting a Vitesse throttle controller. I will probably not have much time to play with it before our club drag race event. Soooooo, looking for a little guidance from those with one who have done some drag racing since installation. What setting have you found best at the track? Any impact at all on 60 ft times? How does it impact on launch? I was having a hard time getting a grip at the fest without it (but then so was everyone). Any other general guidance appreciated.
Old 09-01-2015, 10:27 AM   #2
Red2014SS

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Camaro
I tried it at the strip. Like you said, the biggest problem is hooking up. The VTC only makes it worse. In my opinion, it's totally useless at the drag strip. Now, if you want to do a big burnout and you normally have probs, it could help. I'm selling mine for this very reason, and putting the money towards a set of drag radials.

Last edited by Red2014SS; 09-01-2015 at 10:50 AM.
Red2014SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 11:55 AM   #3
rtcat600man
having FUN now 13.66@101

Drives: 2010 2LT IOM
I tested mine at the drag strip last fall, (last time I was at the drag strip). It did not help with my times for the 1/4 mile. I struggled to get traction at the starting line.

My street testing of the unit did show improvments in my 0-60 times. All of which was documented on one the first VTC threads, somewhere.
Old 09-01-2015, 03:34 PM   #4
fradaj

Drives: RS
I think you will just have to play with it. There is a big difference in sensitivity when it is set to 9, I think it was set at about 5 before I noticed a big difference. Basically the VTC removes the laziness from the gas peddle. I saw a video that was posted and it showed the delay from between when the gas peddle was pushed all the way down and how long it took for the throttle butterfly to open all the way, it took about 3 seconds. Using the seat of your pants you could probably improve your holeshot off the line, traction will be the limiting factor.
fradaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 04:03 PM   #5
X-Factor
Chick Racer

Drives: 2017 50th 2SS
Well I'm with everyone else, I struggled with traction off the line. When I tried my VTC that Friday at C5 Fest, and I spun really bad. After 2 passes, I finally put it to 0 (stock) and I did fine and I didn't try it Saturday. I've never raced with it, so that was my first time to try it out. But we have a drag day coming up next month, and I will try it again. So Ill let ya know how it goes!
Old 09-01-2015, 08:28 PM   #6
rtcat600man
having FUN now 13.66@101

Drives: 2010 2LT IOM
Here is the info I posted from thsi thread.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...itesse&page=48 post # 1178

Further testing completed from my day at the local ¼ mile track.

Let me start off by saying this was a difficult task to want to keep going back and test SP0 and SP5 when I know this is not the setting I want to run.

First 3 passes are as follows for the 0 – 60 MPH testing.

SP0 was 5.65 launching at 1000 RPM’s

SP5 was 5.62 launching at 1000 RPM’s

SP9 was 5.37 launching at 1500 RPM’s

The ¼ mile times really did not improve. My 60ft. times were not getting better, if anything they were the same or worse. MPH thru the traps was almost all the same, (as we know this does not increase HP, so I did not expect to see a change here either.

Traction is almost always an issue at this track. And it was again yesterday.

I thought I was hooking up fair so I was increasing my launch RPM’s during my second round of passes……I was WRONG. My 60’ times fell way off, my times fell off even further.*

Part of the issue was traction, other part was heat soaking. I have never been to this track when it was this crowded. Normally I can hot lap it and get right back to the staging lane and wait for one car if any at all. Not this time, IT was a good 5 – 10 minute wait, causing everything to heat up.

I did not make any more runs for the day. Only 7 total.

So take if for what it is worth.

Bottom line. I feel the 0 – 60 times and throttle response is where this all comes into play for us.*

My limited street and track testing has proven this at least to me.*

I will leave it on SP5 and enjoy the simple mod and throttle response it provi
Old 09-02-2015, 12:31 AM   #7
fradaj

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Factor View Post
Well I'm with everyone else, I struggled with traction off the line. When I tried my VTC that Friday at C5 Fest, and I spun really bad. After 2 passes, I finally put it to 0 (stock) and I did fine and I didn't try it Saturday. I've never raced with it, so that was my first time to try it out. But we have a drag day coming up next month, and I will try it again. So Ill let ya know how it goes!

With the VTC you will need to change your technique. You have more control in modulating the throttle than with it stock, however the built in delay in the stock throttle makes it easier to launch without spinning the tires. I find you need more discipline with the throttle pedal, wide open is not always the fastest way to accelerate. When the engine is building torque it seems to accelerate the car the fastest. I leave my VTC set to 9 and have gotten used to it, there is still some delay in the throttle. I don't take my car to the track but I enjoy driving the car like I think it was designed to be driven, within the speed limits of course.
Old 09-02-2015, 07:57 AM   #8
kjkjr27
COTW 9/16/13

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS Camaro IOM
The one partial pass I made a few weeks ago I had the controller set at SP3. Was super easy to do a burnout and warm up the drag radials but once it came time to launch I cut a horrendous 60ft (launching at 1000RPMs). That was the first time I ever had traction issues with my drag radials, they always hooked and booked. I also believe the track prep def played a role since noone was getting good traction. I know it isn't a definitive answer but thought it might help to know.
Old 09-02-2015, 08:01 AM   #9
kjkjr27
COTW 9/16/13

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS Camaro IOM
Another thing I noticed with is kinda annoying is I use to have the controller set to SP5. Every time I hit a slight bump at low speeds the bump would cause my foot to ever so slightly press on the gas and the car would very noticeable react. In order to prevent the car from freaking out and taking off I would let off the gas which then makes the car buck haha.
Old 09-03-2015, 01:42 AM   #10
xRedsox
Night Fury

Drives: 2016 Golf R
The throttler controller improved my 1/4 mile time, it took some time to get to learn it better so that I wouldn't hop forward or spin my tires before I launch.
Old 10-06-2015, 11:32 AM   #11
X-Factor
Chick Racer

Drives: 2017 50th 2SS
Well we had a private track rental over the weekend. I ran with the Throttle Controller on 6 and at 9 with DR's at the track this weekend, and i had no spin, she ran like a champ.

Then, I turned my nitrous on (75 shot) and used the throttle controller at 9, and guess what happened, my car didnt like it and it threw it into limp mode. So moral of the story for me, is use the throttle controller when not using nitrous and DRs, and when i use nitrous, turn it off. lol
Old 10-06-2015, 09:55 PM   #12
fradaj

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Factor View Post
Well we had a private track rental over the weekend. I ran with the Throttle Controller on 6 and at 9 with DR's at the track this weekend, and i had no spin, she ran like a champ.

Then, I turned my nitrous on (75 shot) and used the throttle controller at 9, and guess what happened, my car didnt like it and it threw it into limp mode. So moral of the story for me, is use the throttle controller when not using nitrous and DRs, and when i use nitrous, turn it off. lol

Maybe try 5 with the nitrous.
Old 10-07-2015, 05:57 AM   #13
etmx183

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2LT RS
I've used setting 9 with a 100 shot. I also have a Circle D 3000 converter, drag radials and A LOT of BMR suspension work to lock down the power. You just need to be able to use whatever power you have and it takes a little time to get it all dailed in. I currently pull 1.60 -1.63 60' with my LFX. Practice, practice, practice and try different combinations.
etmx183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 06:00 AM   #14
etmx183

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2LT RS
Here is a 1.62 60'
etmx183 is offline   Reply With Quote