Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic modifications (exterior and interior)

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 01-19-2018, 11:17 PM   #1
4door65guy

Drives: 2016 2SS MAG/NPP
Fender stripes

I have a question regarding the optional sash stripes on the front fenders. A camaro near me is for sale and is a good price but it has yellow sash marks and I hate them! My question is, is it possible to remove and or change the color of the stripes easily or are these under the clear coat?
4door65guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 11:30 PM   #2
KirkH

Drives: 2016 2SS M6 Mosaic Blk Met-SOLD
Yes they are removed easily. Warm it up with hair dryer or heat gun. Pull them forward, not straight up off the paint. You will need some automotive goo gone to clean the surface.

You can buy quality 3M vinyl and create your own stripes using knifeless tape. It is easy and cheap.
KirkH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 12:57 AM   #3
4door65guy

Drives: 2016 2SS MAG/NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkH View Post
Yes they are removed easily. Warm it up with hair dryer or heat gun. Pull them forward, not straight up off the paint. You will need some automotive goo gone to clean the surface.

You can buy quality 3M vinyl and create your own stripes using knifeless tape. It is easy and cheap.
Thanks for the info man so they are basically just decals laid over the clear coat I take it?
4door65guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 10:14 AM   #4
RedonBlackRS

Drives: 1LT RS 2.0T 8A HD
Yessir. Just a vinyl stripe. I have a leftover driver's side black one from GM if you'd like.

You can always make your own, but Big Worm Graphix has a ton of Camaro-specific options (I haven't ordered from them yet).

I personally like the nighttime look of Reflective Concepts stripes. I had them on my 05 GXP, and it looks like ZZP uses them for some of their decals as well (I could be wrong, but the quality is impeccable on both).
RedonBlackRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 12:11 PM   #5
bigwormgraphix
Account Suspended

Drives: 1991 Z28, 2015 SS & 2017 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedonBlackRS View Post
Yessir. Just a vinyl stripe. I have a leftover driver's side black one from GM if you'd like.

You can always make your own, but Big Worm Graphix has a ton of Camaro-specific options (I haven't ordered from them yet).

I personally like the nighttime look of Reflective Concepts stripes. I had them on my 05 GXP, and it looks like ZZP uses them for some of their decals as well (I could be wrong, but the quality is impeccable on both).
Thanks, link below for our hash mark stripes:
https://www.bigwormgraphix.com/2016-...k-stripes.html

The vinyl we use can be removed years later with very little adhesive left behind. Some vinyl will leave a lot of adhesive, but that can be cleaned off with 3M Adhesive Remover (available at most auto parts stores in the auto body section).
bigwormgraphix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 12:16 PM   #6
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
If you’re going to do this, produce a few templates using tracing paper first.

Trust me unless you’re a skilled craftsman, with a lot of experience, cutting vinyl stripes to fit perfectly is a little bit harder than you think. And if you just just slap on a bunch of vinyl and then cut it on the car, you risk scratching the paint with the blade. Much better to do a big worm stripe, it’s already cut perfectly and easy to put on. I have removed and attached several of their stripes, they come off without any problems, and many I’ve never needed any type of adhesive remover.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote