Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 01-17-2018, 05:13 PM   #99
metros11

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8Snob View Post
Learn to drive
Jeeze, what a snob.
metros11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 06:51 PM   #100
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8Snob View Post
Learn to drive
I'm going to suggest that OP did learn a little something about driving his particular car (and its tires) that he might not have been fully aware of before. IOW, his learning most likely beat your sarcastically-intended comment to the punch.

Truly understanding this situation on an instinctive gut-level is very much a case of "you don't know what you don't know" until it actually happens to you; it's one of those things that just takes experiencing to fully understand what you're up against. Yes, I've been there. See post #95. The first time it happened it came as a surprise even after as many years' driving as I had under my belt. Controllable but still a less than pleasant surprise.

Norm
Old 01-18-2018, 04:45 PM   #101
SFCO

Drives: 2017 Red Hot SS Camaro
Yes I found that out and I have driven in snow for 30 years and its not worth it park the SS Camaro or get good snow tires.
SFCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 03:18 AM   #102
MJP

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1LE Summit White
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allez View Post
According to the manual you can have reduced traction under 40 degrees, and the possibility of cracking under 20. I drove mine yesterday with the temps in the upper 30s with no problem; I was a bit more cautious, though.
According to the service bulletin from GM, Unless you're riding on the summer only track oriented Goodyear tires that come standard on the the 1LE and ZL1 you don't have to worry about your tires cracking.
MJP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 11:15 AM   #103
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
The traction control systems in the Camaro are top notch. Having a limited slip diff helps, too. With the right tires for the conditions, it's extremely effective!
Agree. Even on all seasons I found the car drivable in 2-3 inches of snow. Would not want to do it every day, but drivable. I do like the snow/ice mode as well, which drastically changes the ramp on the throttle response from what I can tell.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 11:38 AM   #104
Trentelshark

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by dray View Post
We've had colder than normal (0 to 15 F) in southern Ohio this last week with a couple of 2-3" snows. Have to say I'm amazed at how I got around with my winter tires. The snow/ice drive mode is part of that. It really keeps you from losing control, even it you try. Drove past lots of people with FWD and bad tires that could barely move.
I tried using snow/ice mode a couple times but wasn't wild about the throttle response particularly in first. I've left it in Sport (just using less throttle) with exhaust on Track since I got weird noises from the NPP in very cold temperatures. Almost like the valves were stuck shut and forced open.

I have to agree though with a good set of winter tires short of the snow just being too deep for the 1LE a couple times I have had 0 issues this winter. Whiteout highway conditions, pushes right through. Icy conditions, using caution gets going fine and no issues with confidence in the vehicle. Not to mention the heat works wonders, takes no time at all to heat up. I knew I decided not to store it for a reason .
Trentelshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 11:51 AM   #105
Allez

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJP View Post
According to the service bulletin from GM, Unless you're riding on the summer only track oriented Goodyear tires that come standard on the the 1LE and ZL1 you don't have to worry about your tires cracking.
The 2SS comes with summer tires also, which is why I was curious why it wasn't mentioned in the bulletin. I thought these precautions applied to all summer tires (although I'd be really happy if they don't)
Allez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 01:08 PM   #106
stella16
1959 Chevy Apache 4X4

Drives: 2017 ZL1
nice MG mjk3888
3000 2-15-17
3000 TPW 3-13-17
3300 3-6-17
3800 3-13-17
4B00 3-13-17
4200 3-15-17
4800 3-22-17
5000 3-27-17
6000 3-28-17
stella16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 02:30 PM   #107
mako22

Drives: 2017 HB 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
I'm going to suggest that OP did learn a little something about driving his particular car (and its tires) that he might not have been fully aware of before. IOW, his learning most likely beat your sarcastically-intended comment to the punch.Norm
True, I definitely learned something. This is my 5th Camaro and I've driven in all sorts of conditions knowing my limits before. This event was a complete shock, as I barely accelerated and the car was suddenly out of control. I'm not talking about a minor fishtail incident, I was nearly parallel to the road in each direction and miraculously regained control.

It was about 10 degrees, so many of you might think I need to "learn to drive" but I can assure you - if you drive in 10 degree weather with these summer tires, sooner or later it will catch up with you. Maybe you need to have a close call like this to undertand.....good luck.
Old 01-19-2018, 05:18 PM   #108
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trentelshark View Post
I tried using snow/ice mode a couple times but wasn't wild about the throttle response particularly in first.
When you're operating really close to the limits of the existing tire grip, soft throttle response is your friend. What the NPP does then should be considered incidental and not a cause for concern (unless, perhaps, it was to throw a code).

I get that under some, maybe many conditions, you probably can do an adequate job of throttle modulation all by yourself. But that doesn't mean everybody can, or that you'll always be able to. An icy road that slopes noticeably sideways as well as gently rising would challenge the best of us. Personally, I wouldn't want aggressive throttle mapping for a wet track day either.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 01-20-2018 at 07:04 AM.
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 10:51 PM   #109
enzia35

Drives: '16 Garnet Red 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allez View Post
The 2SS comes with summer tires also, which is why I was curious why it wasn't mentioned in the bulletin. I thought these precautions applied to all summer tires (although I'd be really happy if they don't)
It's probably because the regular SS tires won't crack in the cold, which was the problem with the extreme, barely street legal tires on the 1LE and ZL1.
enzia35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 04:44 AM   #110
MJP

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1LE Summit White
Quote:
Originally Posted by enzia35 View Post
It's probably because the regular SS tires won't crack in the cold, which was the problem with the extreme, barely street legal tires on the 1LE and ZL1.
Exactly..
I'm rolling the dice right now myself.
My 1LE has been stored out in an unheated garage since November.
We've already had over a week of -0 temperatures.
We'll see...
MJP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 07:28 AM   #111
ecko04

Drives: Too many to list
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
There are people who wouldn't shop CL or eBay for anything. Let alone for anything as mission-critical as their car's tires.
Norm

You are 100% spot on. However, similarly to your last post all things don’t apply to all people.

In fact, it is the nature of fear, in this case not knowing what you get online (eBay or CL), not knowing how to properly evaluate a tire or wheel (i.e. tire depth, bulging, patches, obvious bends, unequal tread wear, etc.) coupled with the comfort that comes with buying new that drives capitalistic economies. (Granted eBay has all types of buyer protection couple with credit/debit card protection for items not as described built-in)

Which makes the potential savings significant for those of us who can do the research, know of, and how to avoid potential pitfalls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
ecko04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 10:57 PM   #112
Badmojo
aka BeastZL1

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE, 2004 Cobra