Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 12-18-2017, 05:26 PM   #1
Boost or bust

Drives: 2018 ZL1 M6
Anyone installed Whipple 2.9 on stock ‘17/‘18?

Looking for some real world feedback if you habe an otherwise stock car and installed the 2.9. Driveability? Power increase? Pump gas!
Boost or bust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 08:07 PM   #2
rtm_tinman

Drives: 2017 camaro ZL1 Red Hot M6
2.9 whipple, 2” kooks and high flow cats. Drives great, just needs a little getting use to on the throttle position. Under 40 degrees don’t even think of full throttle.

Waiting to go dyno it. Hoping for 700 RWHP.
rtm_tinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 08:52 PM   #3
WEAPON-X

Drives: ZL1 ATS-V CTS-V C7Z Range Sport SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boost or bust View Post
Looking for some real world feedback if you habe an otherwise stock car and installed the 2.9. Driveability? Power increase? Pump gas!
OP if you need a blower and the right setup, let me know your budget and or your goals and we'll set you up right. I cannot stress enough though that you guys all need to log and verify rail pressure on the street even after getting dyno tuned though because we've had them hold on the dyno and drop like a rock on the street. Line pressure and rail pressure are critical in these scenarios and you will not get 700whp with the OEM fuel system on a legitimate dyno.
https://weaponxmotorsports.com/produ...o-zl1-ctsv-lt4

Here is our old thread on some of the initial stock block testing, although some guys couldn't quite understand that we were only testing some of the bolt on potential before cranking it up to the below. Thread:
http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=487143

We actually worked with Whipple on the LT4 blower beta testing and since then, we've installed a bunch of them now from stock to 920whp on a Mustang dyno and we're about to crank it up as our first port injection Whipple is going on this week!

You're still going to run into the same fuel delivery issues as any direct injection setup though. We've hit as much as 800whp on the stock long block with our stage 1 fuel kit and cat deletes with the right pulley combo.

WEAPON-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 09:11 PM   #4
Boost or bust

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtm_tinman View Post
2.9 whipple, 2” kooks and high flow cats. Drives great, just needs a little getting use to on the throttle position. Under 40 degrees don’t even think of full throttle.

Waiting to go dyno it. Hoping for 700 RWHP.

Is the driveability like stock? Any quirks or things you wish you could change?
Old 12-19-2017, 09:50 AM   #5
rtm_tinman

Drives: 2017 camaro ZL1 Red Hot M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boost or bust View Post
Is the driveability like stock? Any quirks or things you wish you could change?
It’s amost the same but you need to relearn how far to push the pedal. There is so much more. Plus I got the tune from whipple and I’m sure they got all the fuel system figured out.
rtm_tinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 10:32 AM   #6
rjacobs

Drives: none
Im interested in doing a 2.9 Whipple, but also needing to do a 6k dollar fuel system to take full advantage of the Whipple is what is holding me back...
rjacobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 12:34 PM   #7
WEAPON-X

Drives: ZL1 ATS-V CTS-V C7Z Range Sport SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtm_tinman View Post
It’s amost the same but you need to relearn how far to push the pedal. There is so much more. Plus I got the tune from whipple and I’m sure they got all the fuel system figured out.
Whipple had us assist with some of their tuning for the LT4 Camaro kit. Fuel system is mechanical, so you cannot really do much beyond what the system limitations are. Air flow and atmospheric pressure dictate fuel demand and the stock system is on the limits of 700whp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjacobs View Post
Im interested in doing a 2.9 Whipple, but also needing to do a 6k dollar fuel system to take full advantage of the Whipple is what is holding me back...
You don't have to spend that much to get power, but with power comes the fuel system issues.

For example I can get you to a solid 700-750whp on 93 octane for $1,900 with the high and low side and if you're installing the blower it would only be an extra 4-5hrs labor.

Cam kit is the easiest way to get to 750whp on 93 octane with the blower, but of course you have 24-30hrs labor with that install if done right.

It goes up from there if you want to start adding ethanol, but our complete port injection kit is under $5,000 and that will handle as much as you want on the stock cam with the only limitations being air flow; however, you'll at least want to get rid of the DOD lifters and replace them with comparable or if you're removing both heads, do the Johnson lifters.
WEAPON-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 12:57 PM   #8
rjacobs

Drives: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by WEAPON-X View Post
You don't have to spend that much to get power, but with power comes the fuel system issues.

For example I can get you to a solid 700-750whp on 93 octane for $1,900 with the high and low side and if you're installing the blower it would only be an extra 4-5hrs labor.

Cam kit is the easiest way to get to 750whp on 93 octane with the blower, but of course you have 24-30hrs labor with that install if done right.

It goes up from there if you want to start adding ethanol, but our complete port injection kit is under $5,000 and that will handle as much as you want on the stock cam with the only limitations being air flow; however, you'll at least want to get rid of the DOD lifters and replace them with comparable or if you're removing both heads, do the Johnson lifters.
I was looking at doing the low side system, the LPE high side pump, and the +30% FIC injectors.

I REALLY dont want to mess with doing a cam.

I also dont drive the car a ton so I dont think I want to mess with E85 and its tendency to go bad and do bad things when it sits. 93 and meth I believe is where I am interested in going.

I thought the ZL1 LT4 did NOT have DOD...

ETA: i can get to 700whp on 93 and meth with the stock blower pretty easily I believe. 2" headers, CAI, lower pulley, ported blower/snout/throttle body. If I do this 2.9 whipple im shooting for closer to 1000whp... Obviously there is more to that than bolting on a blower and a fuel system and I understand that.
rjacobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 10:02 AM   #9
Boost or bust

Quote:
Originally Posted by WEAPON-X View Post
Whipple had us assist with some of their tuning for the LT4 Camaro kit. Fuel system is mechanical, so you cannot really do much beyond what the system limitations are. Air flow and atmospheric pressure dictate fuel demand and the stock system is on the limits of 700whp.

Out here in California we have 91 octane, not 93.
My question: Whipple is claiming that their full kit will add 125 RWHP to an otherwise stock ZL1. Is that true? Can you provide a modified tune to add more?
Old 01-18-2018, 06:22 PM   #10
ZL1_IslandBreeze

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 NightFall Grey A10
OP
I have 500 miles since install done by CMS in Murrieta CA a few weeks ago.
here is the post on this forum:
http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=517682

luv it alot, fuel mods make it all work together. no meth.
still room to turn the boost up from 13

running 315/20 R888Rs in rear which help alot
305/20s up front.

great response, tons of pull using E85 but i can run pump 91+ also

all good
ZL1_IslandBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 04:34 AM   #11
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
I personally would never want to get into cam swaps ever again. Unless it was on an older car, lol!! Coming from the 5th Gen side of things, I saw too many failure threads related to cam swaps to ever make me feel completely comfortable with it.

My 17 ZL1 currently has about 5500 miles on it. And as it gets closer to 10K miles I am feeling a bit more open to the idea of modding it a bit more. I am considering either a pulley setup or going for the Whipple 2.9. I will also do headers in addition to whichever way I decide to go. But I'm also considering trading the car in for something badder! Lots of choices. I don't want to do mods just to get bored with the car and want something else. That would be a waste. So if I see some really good results with Whipple/LT or pulley/LT setups that are worth the money and hassle of voiding my warranty and if I do decide to keep the car then we'll see. I will say that even if these setups can get an extra 100 hp then that would make quite a difference.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 02:10 PM   #12
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
I personally would never want to get into cam swaps ever again. Unless it was on an older car, lol!! Coming from the 5th Gen side of things, I saw too many failure threads related to cam swaps to ever make me feel completely comfortable with it.

My 17 ZL1 currently has about 5500 miles on it. And as it gets closer to 10K miles I am feeling a bit more open to the idea of modding it a bit more. I am considering either a pulley setup or going for the Whipple 2.9. I will also do headers in addition to whichever way I decide to go. But I'm also considering trading the car in for something badder! Lots of choices. I don't want to do mods just to get bored with the car and want something else. That would be a waste. So if I see some really good results with Whipple/LT or pulley/LT setups that are worth the money and hassle of voiding my warranty and if I do decide to keep the car then we'll see. I will say that even if these setups can get an extra 100 hp then that would make quite a difference.
I think a Pulley/LT setup has been WELL proven here and on the C7 Z06 side. Going with a Lower pulley setup, intake, TB, LT and tune on 93, you're picking up some really good power and you don't have to start screwing with meth/E85 if you don't want to, though both would add significant power.

I find the Whipple 2.9L to be a bit of a waste if you're going to be bolting it on and not turning it up, which of course requires fuel system modifications and supporting mods, and at some point soon, a cam. Here's why I say a bit of a waste:
1) $7600 for the blower from the vendors I looked at (+$1500 for good Headers and other supporting mods)
2) It's a big blower, but spinning it at really low RPM's keeps it out of its efficiency range.

SO, just like most of us know, the benefits of a big blower vs a small blower aren't really that noticeable at equal HP levels until you start pushing them. This is why the LSA and LT4 have smaller blowers yet manage just fine. But once you start pushing big blowers vs small blowers, then the gap widens a lot. And I don't think by a setup you'd be talking about, that you'd be pushing either blower. If you were, you'd need fuel system mods. And you can't pulley it too much on the stock engine either.

Now notice, that on the big heads/cam/fuels system and pulleyed Whipple builds, they make 100-200 RWHP more than the 1.7L Eaton ever could. (900-940+ RWHP via Vengeance and HHP to name a few). Again, at the bolt on level, I would definitely vote the cost savings, simplicity, and more tested, Pulley/LT/Bolt on/Tune route.
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 10:04 PM   #13
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Can'tHave2MuchHP View Post
I think a Pulley/LT setup has been WELL proven here and on the C7 Z06 side. Going with a Lower pulley setup, intake, TB, LT and tune on 93, you're picking up some really good power and you don't have to start screwing with meth/E85 if you don't want to, though both would add significant power.

I find the Whipple 2.9L to be a bit of a waste if you're going to be bolting it on and not turning it up, which of course requires fuel system modifications and supporting mods, and at some point soon, a cam. Here's why I say a bit of a waste:
1) $7600 for the blower from the vendors I looked at (+$1500 for good Headers and other supporting mods)
2) It's a big blower, but spinning it at really low RPM's keeps it out of its efficiency range.

SO, just like most of us know, the benefits of a big blower vs a small blower aren't really that noticeable at equal HP levels until you start pushing them. This is why the LSA and LT4 have smaller blowers yet manage just fine. But once you start pushing big blowers vs small blowers, then the gap widens a lot. And I don't think by a setup you'd be talking about, that you'd be pushing either blower. If you were, you'd need fuel system mods. And you can't pulley it too much on the stock engine either.

Now notice, that on the big heads/cam/fuels system and pulleyed Whipple builds, they make 100-200 RWHP more than the 1.7L Eaton ever could. (900-940+ RWHP via Vengeance and HHP to name a few). Again, at the bolt on level, I would definitely vote the cost savings, simplicity, and more tested, Pulley/LT/Bolt on/Tune route.
I would want the Whipple for the coolness factor. But it is true that unless you're doing more extensive mods and fueling upgrades then the Whipple is a waste of money. With that said I am still up in the air on it. My biggest thing is that with more mods comes more potential failures. Blower, cam, heads, fuel upgrades, that is a lot of areas that can potentially go wrong. If I could do a Whipple (more power and more cool) and LTs and get myself up to mid 600s on 93 octane then it might be worthwhile.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 02:07 PM   #14
EDFHOBBIES
Dyno Show Queen LOL

Drives: 16 SS & 17 ZL1 Both Yellow
Send a message via Skype™ to EDFHOBBIES
Weapon X would you say that bolting the whipple on and there can tune makes the same power as the LT4 with pulleys, headers, and CAI intake? I'm doing the math..

Arh headers 2k
Pulleys 750
Cold air 499 to 749
Belt 50
Plugs 90

VS.

Whipple?
Sell blower unit 1500

Later on.. ready to make more power more efficiently

Kong Ported 2650, Crawford Racing Port Injection, Weapon X 112mm Adapter, NW112mm TB, Livernois Ported LT4 Heads, Lingenfelter GT32 stealth cam, Haltech Elite, and Carbon by Trufiber
EDFHOBBIES is offline   Reply With Quote