Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Bigwormgraphix

Old 01-19-2018, 10:14 AM   #1
Web9

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE
PTM unavailable without TPMS sensors?

Has anyone confirmed that PTM is unavailable if you run a set of wheels / tires without TPMS sensors? Just want to confirm that is indeed the case before ordering a second set of wheels for the track (2017 SS 1LE).

Thanks.

Also, is there a TPMS reset tool that anyone recommends if I do need to run two sets of sensors?
Web9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 10:20 AM   #2
JeromeS13

Drives: 2017 1SS/1LE
It's an all or nothing system. The only time PTM will not be available, is if there's a fault with one more more sensors. If it sees all as working, it works. If it sees no sensors, it works.
JeromeS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 10:50 AM   #3
Web9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeromeS13 View Post
It's an all or nothing system. The only time PTM will not be available, is if there's a fault with one more more sensors. If it sees all as working, it works. If it sees no sensors, it works.
Good deal. That is what I heard, but wasn't sure if it was confirmed or not.

Thanks.
Old 01-19-2018, 12:18 PM   #4
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: '17 1SS 1LE
I use PTM frequently in the snow with my non-TPMS winter wheels/tires. I'm able to toggle through all 5 sub-settings and they work appropriately.

The only negative of not running TPMS in your track setup is you won't get datalogging from the tires when you're reviewing your track sessions via the Cosworth software. I find myself using that data often to hone my hot pressures and sanity-check the alignment. You still want to use a tire temp gauge to get tire zone temps, of course.

FYI, there is a specific TPMS part number needed for PTM-equipped gen6 Camaro's.
Old 01-19-2018, 12:54 PM   #5
thescreensavers

Drives: SW 1SS 1LE / Jeep XJ
"it works" need more data hah.

PTM uses temp data from TPMS sensors for it's calibration. So it would make sense PTM wouldn't work. Not showing an error code is something else but working with no sensors hmmm

New TPMS sensors aren't very expressive though.
thescreensavers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 03:19 PM   #6
7stringtheory

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by thescreensavers View Post
"it works" need more data hah.

PTM uses temp data from TPMS sensors for it's calibration. So it would make sense PTM wouldn't work. Not showing an error code is something else but working with no sensors hmmm

New TPMS sensors aren't very expressive though.
I dont think the ptm uses tpms data for any of its calibrations. Pretty sure that was confirmed somewhere on the corvette forums. The issue has nothing to do with data from the tpms it has to do with if one of your sensors is not detected while others are functioning it disables the functionality, but as others have stated if none are detected at all then it worka fine.

My understanding is the ptm functions solely off of slip targets for the differential and the different modes are basically supplying different baselines for those slip targets.
7stringtheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 11:28 PM   #7
thescreensavers

Drives: SW 1SS 1LE / Jeep XJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7stringtheory View Post
I dont think the ptm uses tpms data for any of its calibrations. Pretty sure that was confirmed somewhere on the corvette forums. The issue has nothing to do with data from the tpms it has to do with if one of your sensors is not detected while others are functioning it disables the functionality, but as others have stated if none are detected at all then it worka fine.

My understanding is the ptm functions solely off of slip targets for the differential and the different modes are basically supplying different baselines for those slip targets.
""How sophisticated is the Corvette’s Performance Traction Management system? Well it even, in a first says GM, accounts for tire temperature. Every seasoned track addict knows that, for maximum traction, tires have to be warmed up. Typically, this requires judicious throttle management and restrained driving from the often keyed up driver; more than a few have unceremoniously crashed on their “out” lap. Not with the 2015 Z06, you won’t. When the ‘Vette senses that its tires are below 45 degrees Fahrenheit, it assumes only 70% of maximum traction is available and adjusts the ABS and electronic rear locking differential to prevent tire lockup/spin. Between 45 and 115 degrees, it assumes 90% of peak grip is available and goes into standard ABS and eLSD modes. Only once the tires reach 115 degrees does PTM assume maximum traction is available, allowing progressive eLSD locking on corner exits and lenient ABS operation on corner entry. "
"

Again not so sure. Without TMPS sensors how would it change the ABS threshold? And ELSD modes?
thescreensavers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 11:56 PM   #8
MatthewAMEL

Drives: 2023 CT5 Blackwing
Chevy has a clue, folks.

PTM works if all TPMS sensors are present and if no TPMS sensors are present.

If there are less than 4 or more than 0, it’s disabled.

2023 Wave Metallic
CT5-V Blackwing M6
MatthewAMEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 01:15 AM   #9
Web9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryephile View Post
I use PTM frequently in the snow with my non-TPMS winter wheels/tires. I'm able to toggle through all 5 sub-settings and they work appropriately.

The only negative of not running TPMS in your track setup is you won't get datalogging from the tires when you're reviewing your track sessions via the Cosworth software. I find myself using that data often to hone my hot pressures and sanity-check the alignment. You still want to use a tire temp gauge to get tire zone temps, of course.

FYI, there is a specific TPMS part number needed for PTM-equipped gen6 Camaro's.
Anyone know the specific GM part number for the sensors?
Old 01-20-2018, 11:19 AM   #10
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Web9 View Post
Anyone know the specific GM part number for the sensors?
Not as sure about this as I was before, but I ordered 4 of the 13598773 sensors, was able to program them myself, and I can scroll through all of those performance screens like wheel-slip, tire temp, etc. I assume that's what we are talking about?

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 11:25 AM   #11
TJay74

Drives: 17 Camaro SS 1LE & 16 Sierra AT CC
OP, here you go. The only tool you need to relearn or sync the TPMS sensors. Best $50 I ever spent.

https://www.amazon.com/Tire-Pressure...s+relearn+tool
TJay74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 12:02 AM   #12
Web9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
Not as sure about this as I was before, but I ordered 4 of the 13598773 sensors, was able to program them myself, and I can scroll through all of those performance screens like wheel-slip, tire temp, etc. I assume that's what we are talking about?
Thanks
Old 01-21-2018, 10:57 AM   #13
7stringtheory

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by thescreensavers View Post
""How sophisticated is the Corvette’s Performance Traction Management system? Well it even, in a first says GM, accounts for tire temperature. Every seasoned track addict knows that, for maximum traction, tires have to be warmed up. Typically, this requires judicious throttle management and restrained driving from the often keyed up driver; more than a few have unceremoniously crashed on their “out” lap. Not with the 2015 Z06, you won’t. When the ‘Vette senses that its tires are below 45 degrees Fahrenheit, it assumes only 70% of maximum traction is available and adjusts the ABS and electronic rear locking differential to prevent tire lockup/spin. Between 45 and 115 degrees, it assumes 90% of peak grip is available and goes into standard ABS and eLSD modes. Only once the tires reach 115 degrees does PTM assume maximum traction is available, allowing progressive eLSD locking on corner exits and lenient ABS operation on corner entry. "
"

Again not so sure. Without TMPS sensors how would it change the ABS threshold? And ELSD modes?
Im not sure where you got that quote from, but it sounds like its from a 3rd party. The post from the corvette forum by one of chevys lead engineers (which has also been reposted on this site in some form) mentions nothing about tire temps when going im depth into the inner workings of the ptm.

Im not sayimg you are definitively right or wrong because there isn't really a 100% definitive source available, but the fact that you can still access ptm modes without tpms, which is confirmed, might speak towards its functionality not being dependent on tire temp readings.
7stringtheory is offline   Reply With Quote