Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 12-18-2016, 01:51 PM   #1
daverom

Drives: 2016 2SS
manual transmission popping out of 2nd gear

Hey, I have a 2016 2SS, about a year old with just over 6k miles. I've had this problem since the beginning, but it's gotten worse. Basically, many times when I upshift from 1-2 or downshift from 3-2, the transmission will either pop completely out of 2nd gear into neutral. Or, sometimes the shifter will be in the slot for 2nd gear, but the transmission itself will be in neutral. I took it in once and dealer couldn't replicate problem. So, this time, I took a video of it happening (it happened on 8 out of 20 shifts in the video, or 40% of the time).

Basically, I'm looking to see if anyone has heard of this problem. Secondly, if there are any ideas. I have an appointment after Christmas with dealer, and I've already emailed the video. If interesrted, I'll link to video below. I'll also include times for each of the 8 problematic shifts. Thanks for any help.

Just FYI: I know about skip shift, All shifts are above 3g, most around 3500, so it should not be the issue.

Times of bad shift: 2:09, 2:40, 4:47, 6:50, 8:05, 8:47, 11:19, 12:47

daverom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 01:55 PM   #2
2006Moy

Drives: 2016 SS Convertible Hyper Blue
That's acting to me like a bad synchro or fork. I don't know how a dealer cant replicate that sheesh..
Black hash marks
Curb alert
Vitesse controller

Jl audio HD 900/5 amp
c5 650 components
c2 650x coaxials rear fill
2 x 8" W3v3 subwoofers custom ported box
Fix 82 module

BF TPNS
BF Wet Diamond
BF Crystal Seal
Hydr02
303 Aerospace top protectant
2006Moy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 02:20 PM   #3
daverom

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006Moy View Post
That's acting to me like a bad synchro or fork. I don't know how a dealer cant replicate that sheesh..
Thanks for input. I agree on dealer not being able to replicate it. It's funny how I didn't get an email survey from dealership after that visit, but I have for everything else...
Old 12-18-2016, 04:11 PM   #4
Richard0nee

Drives: 2016 SS M6, NPP
You said this happened since the beginning, how many miles when this started happening?

I know these clutch/tranny needs to break in but in your case it's the exact opposite. Let us know what the dealer says.
Richard0nee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 04:56 PM   #5
daverom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard0nee View Post
You said this happened since the beginning, how many miles when this started happening?

I know these clutch/tranny needs to break in but in your case it's the exact opposite. Let us know what the dealer says.

I'd say it happened occasionally since it was new. I didn't think too much of it, because I thought it needed to break in. Also, since I hate skip shift, I tend to shift from 1 - 3 a lot, so I often don't notice the issue in 2nd. However, in the past month or two, it has gotten worse. One time, when downshifting from 4th to second, to make a quick left turn against busy oncoming traffic, I downshifted, went to gas it for the turn, and found myself in neutral. Was pretty scary, since oncoming traffic was coming.

I'll update on what dealer says.
Old 12-19-2016, 09:23 AM   #6
HyperBlue2SS

Drives: 2017 Garnet Red 2SS M6
Take that video back to the dealer and tell them to fix it. No need for them to replicate the issue now and if they have to for the paperwork then they have no excuse. Chances are they didn't drive the car long enough or weren't paying attention to it. If they can't make it happen take it to another dealer but that needs fixed.
HyperBlue2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 04:22 PM   #7
daverom

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperBlue2SS View Post
Take that video back to the dealer and tell them to fix it. No need for them to replicate the issue now and if they have to for the paperwork then they have no excuse. Chances are they didn't drive the car long enough or weren't paying attention to it. If they can't make it happen take it to another dealer but that needs fixed.
I emailed video to the technician who'll be working on my car the week of Christmas. This is the dealership where I bought car. Hopefully, they will fix problem.
Old 12-20-2016, 11:39 AM   #8
Mountain

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2016 1SS (previous)
Either something is interfering with the shifter or there is an internal issue (syncro ring for 2nd, 2nd speed gear, shift fork, shift rail).

After seeing this, a dealership tech should do a thorough inspection of the entire shifter, shifter linkage and any associated components, such as boot, wiring and sound deadening material. This is to see if anything is binding/interfering with the shifter such that it is being prevented from going into the full 2nd gear position.

If there is no issue noticed through the visual inspection, the service department should check for the availability of suspect transmission parts (this is to save you time and trouble, beforehand, in case parts aren't available in a timely fashion). If parts are readily available, proceed with transmission tear down and inspection. If parts are not available, since you car is within 1-year of ownership and under 12,000 miles, the transmission assembly should be replaced, along with, possibly, the shifter.
Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 11:47 AM   #9
Boilermaker128

Drives: 2010 CobaltSSTC
Hopefuly just the shifter cables. But i mean the car has been through dozens of grinds already? Maybe try to get them to replace it. Or at least cange the fluid.
Boilermaker128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 07:43 PM   #10
daverom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain View Post
Either something is interfering with the shifter or there is an internal issue (syncro ring for 2nd, 2nd speed gear, shift fork, shift rail).

After seeing this, a dealership tech should do a thorough inspection of the entire shifter, shifter linkage and any associated components, such as boot, wiring and sound deadening material. This is to see if anything is binding/interfering with the shifter such that it is being prevented from going into the full 2nd gear position.

If there is no issue noticed through the visual inspection, the service department should check for the availability of suspect transmission parts (this is to save you time and trouble, beforehand, in case parts aren't available in a timely fashion). If parts are readily available, proceed with transmission tear down and inspection. If parts are not available, since you car is within 1-year of ownership and under 12,000 miles, the transmission assembly should be replaced, along with, possibly, the shifter.
Thanks. This is helpful. I'm hoping for an easy diagnosis, and somewhat simple fix. I dread the, "Well we changed the transmission fluid, let's see if that works," followed by repeated service visits.
Old 12-20-2016, 07:44 PM   #11
daverom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boilermaker128 View Post
Hopefuly just the shifter cables. But i mean the car has been through dozens of grinds already? Maybe try to get them to replace it. Or at least cange the fluid.
Grinding just started coming on recently, but I'll a little concerned. I'll emphasize that if I push for a new transmission.
Old 12-20-2016, 11:15 PM   #12
Mountain

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2016 1SS (previous)
Quote:
Originally Posted by daverom View Post
Thanks. This is helpful. I'm hoping for an easy diagnosis, and somewhat simple fix. I dread the, "Well we changed the transmission fluid, let's see if that works," followed by repeated service visits.
Fluid has 100% nothing to do with this. They could pour in pixy dusty and that won't change this. Glue or concrete might...
Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 11:46 PM   #13
HyperBlue

Drives: 2011 MB E350 wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boilermaker128 View Post
Hopefuly just the shifter cables.
I'm fairly certain the transmission doesn't have any cables.
Old 12-21-2016, 02:48 AM   #14
inkcoloredblack

Drives: 2017 Chevy Camaro SS
I have posted in other threads with this same problem. I have a 2017 m6 ss and am having similar issues in cold weather. It seems to improve once warmed up. Have you noticed this too? Is this happening or exacerbated right after start up?

I have learned in these transmissions the 1st and second gear have triple crown sincros unlike gears 3 through 6. One thought is when the transmission is cold it can be very difficult to get it to engage right.

Please keep us updated.
inkcoloredblack is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2016 2ss, 2ss, manual transmission, popping out of gear, transmission