#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 02-22-2018, 10:14 PM   #29
kttxz06

Drives: '18 Zl1. '18 GT350.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Can'tHave2MuchHP View Post
The OP happens to be the owner and head tuner/tech/operator at Race Proven Motorsports which is a top level LT/LS Performance shop. He knows what he’s talking about. He’s speaking and posting for his shop.

A cam, lower pulley, headers and intake is pretty easy stuff for a qualified shop such as RPM. I’d expect 700-730 RWHP for any build with a cam. Obviously, high DA, stingy dyno, bad tune or just a low HP car can change everything. So everything dyno # wise should be taken with a grain of salt.

Another member here has Upper/Lower pulley, intake and headers and runs on E85 and Meth and makes 740 RWHP. So that’s a stock, unopened engine. But at the same time, there are members that have those mods and a cam that make closer to 690-700. Now both cars may run 10.2 at 145 or whatever number you want to use, but their dyno differ. It’s nothing to get worked up about.
Agreed.

At first glance I thought the numbers were a tick too high based on mods especially with no fuel upgrades. No E85 and no Meth. But, I'll take them for their word. Different dyno's. Different days. Different tuning.

Btw, ^ That is my car you were talking about and honestly, Matt could of gotten me 760 at the wheels, no cam. But, he had to pull back timing or I would of had hella knock on the top end. So, to me, dyno runs are just that. Take it with a grain of salt, but it does show to me, potential and the worksmanship that was done to the car with just those mods. Shit, he's putting out more HP than I am with not even near my mods so I should be jealous. haha. I might have to bich slap Matt now for not getting me those numbers. But, again, I can't cus I'm not cammed so. Makes a huge difference.
Old 02-22-2018, 10:19 PM   #30
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
Quote:
Originally Posted by kttxz06 View Post
Agreed.

At first glance I thought the numbers were a tick too high based on mods especially with no fuel upgrades. No E85 and no Meth. But, I'll take them for their word. Different dyno's. Different days. Different tuning.

Btw, ^ That is my car you were talking about and honestly, Matt could of gotten me 760 at the wheels, no cam. But, he had to pull back timing or I would of had hella knock on the top end. So, to me, dyno runs are just that. Take it with a grain of salt, but it does show to me, potential and the worksmanship that was done to the car with just those mods. Shit, he's putting out more HP than I am with not even near my mods so I should be jealous. haha. I might have to bich slap Matt now for not getting me those numbers. But, again, I can't cus I'm not cammed so. Makes a huge difference.
With the way your car is running, if you continue to mod you could probably have the LT4 stock blower record really fast. But I know you are going with a different blower.
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 11:05 PM   #31
drfeelgood

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Convertible A10
Quote:
The OP happens to be the owner and head tuner/tech/operator at Race Proven Motorsports which is a top level LT/LS Performance shop. He knows what he’s talking about. He’s speaking and posting for his shop.

A cam, lower pulley, headers and intake is pretty easy stuff for a qualified shop such as RPM. I’d expect 700-730 RWHP for any build with a cam. Obviously, high DA, stingy dyno, bad tune or just a low HP car can change everything. So everything dyno # wise should be taken with a grain of salt.

Another member here has Upper/Lower pulley, intake and headers and runs on E85 and Meth and makes 740 RWHP. So that’s a stock, unopened engine. But at the same time, there are members that have those mods and a cam that make closer to 690-700. Now both cars may run 10.2 at 145 or whatever number you want to use, but their dyno differ. It’s nothing to get worked up about.
No not getting worked up, just trying to make sense out of the numbers, and understand what mods can do. I totally get the OP isn't some random dude spouting out random numbers.

I'm mentioning all of this because I am still trying to figure out what I want to do with my car, upgrades wise. you know this, as I believe I have queried you for suggestions as well. I think tone can sometimes get lost over the net, which is why I have been saying I'm not trying to be an ass, I am genuinely interested in the increase in performance from various upgrades.

Thank you to everyone for their input, I'm taking it all in! and thank you to the OP for showing us some performance gains. I believe this is one of the few custom cams I have seen on here
'17 White ZL1 A10 Convertible - TM ported TB - RotoFab CAI - 2.3" griptech upper pulley - Kooks 1 7/8" Headers with High Flow Cats - Borla S-type Catback - Audio Overhaul - NavTV M650-GM - 20" BlackDiForza- Michelin Pilot Sport4S - Tuned at BRC Raceworks (606rwhp/675trq)

'14 CTS-V Coupe - ZL1 lid - Ported TB - Ported Snout - AirRad CAI - 8.66" lower - 2.55" upper- Greenbelt - SW Headers - SW Catback - Varimax Intercooler Pump - Track Attack Intercooler-Tuned at BRC Raceworks (551rwhp/516trq)

'17 Maserati Levante- STOCK
drfeelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 11:07 PM   #32
kttxz06

Quote:
With the way your car is running, if you continue to mod you could probably have the LT4 stock blower record really fast. But I know you are going with a different blower.
No, we changed directions. I'm working on cooling now. Ordered my thermal separation plates for the lt4, then ordering Weapon X's front mounts. Once we do that, I'm going cam. I have to. I'm fueled out. Adding the Whipple now will do nothing so. Once I'm cammed, honestly, I'm done. I'm to the point on street tires, 800 HP is going to be enough for me.

Unless I buy the GTR for my daily, then I'll continue to build to 1000 hp, but for now, I changed gears and went cooling upgrades. Even tho I'm E85 and Meth. I still want to keep those IAT's down a bit more. I even might run a chiller too so. Houston's summers are coming up, so I need to cool this thing as much as possible.

I did 2 street pulls after my last tune and honestly, I'm all over the place. These Goodyears aren't holding. I'd post the video, but they'd remove it. I did 2 runs. 1st gear pull to 120 and a 3rd gear pull to 120. I'm fighting the wheel the whole time. I obviously need those 315's for the back for street use. It's the hit on the meth that makes it worse. Once that meth injects, it just throws the ass end out a bit. It comes on hard. Still getting used to it.

Last edited by kttxz06; 02-22-2018 at 11:24 PM.
kttxz06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 11:08 PM   #33
drfeelgood

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Convertible A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kttxz06 View Post
Agreed.

yes, I was thinking about you when I posted originally, and was wondering how he got those numbers with a lower blower OD% (vs. your upper and lower) and the only difference being a cam. I didn't realize that a cam could add that much WHP, so I'm still learning.
'17 White ZL1 A10 Convertible - TM ported TB - RotoFab CAI - 2.3" griptech upper pulley - Kooks 1 7/8" Headers with High Flow Cats - Borla S-type Catback - Audio Overhaul - NavTV M650-GM - 20" BlackDiForza- Michelin Pilot Sport4S - Tuned at BRC Raceworks (606rwhp/675trq)

'14 CTS-V Coupe - ZL1 lid - Ported TB - Ported Snout - AirRad CAI - 8.66" lower - 2.55" upper- Greenbelt - SW Headers - SW Catback - Varimax Intercooler Pump - Track Attack Intercooler-Tuned at BRC Raceworks (551rwhp/516trq)

'17 Maserati Levante- STOCK
drfeelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 11:22 PM   #34
kttxz06

Quote:
Originally Posted by drfeelgood View Post
yes, I was thinking about you when I posted originally, and was wondering how he got those numbers with a lower blower OD% (vs. your upper and lower) and the only difference being a cam. I didn't realize that a cam could add that much WHP, so I'm still learning.
Yea, cam makes a huge difference cus then you can start dumping all kind of shit in it. haha. But, those numbers are crazy on no meth or E85. Could of been a DynoJet run, who knows. My #'s are on Matt's Mustang and his dyno is notorious for killing #'s so. I'd prob put down 780 on a DynoJet. But, this car is oh so sweet. Love the wheels and the stance.
Old 02-23-2018, 10:31 AM   #35
Frans96ss

Drives: 96SS
Quote:
yes, trap times are all that matters. I'm mentioning the numbers, because the OP started the thread talking about impressive numbers. I am definitely aware that differences can exist in MUSTANG DYNO vs DYNOJET vs other. Again, we are all here trying to learn. I don't want a newbie seeing this and thinking that it is easy or "simple" as the OP put it to safely add 200whp over stock , especially without meth or flex fuel (which the OP doesn't mention)

Also the baseline was still done on the same dyno (Dyno jet) with correction and smoothing, so regardless of different days the gains are real.
Frans96ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 10:44 AM   #36
JB'sZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 and 2019 Ram Laramie
Quote:
that's not what I'm saying. I'm saying he has the same mods (with tune) minus the cam is doing 100whp less. So yes, that means the cam is adding 100+ whp, epsically if he is overdriving the blower 3% less (15% vs 18%)
I think we're back on track with all the input here. Just to clarify for the newbs:
different cars, different tunes, different dynos, different days= different #'s. Apples to oranges.
JB'sZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote