Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 04-24-2024, 12:38 PM   #1
split_bumper

Drives: 24 ZL1, 6.2L Denali, 73 SplitBumper
ZL1 Catch cans

I can't come to a common conclusion but do you need to remove the super charger lid to install a catch can system? Every tutorial i've found or thread on here shows the lid removed while doing a catch can. Is that just to clean the system once the catch can is installed? Or do you need to do this in order to get at the fitting that threads in to the front of the motor? Is it bad if I install a catch can but don't clean all that? I really don't want to be pulling off the super charger on my brand new car, but I am interested in installing a catch can to save it in the long run. Any input or links to other threads would be appreciated! Looking like mighty mouse or the motion raceworks set up is the route most people go. My car is in my signature 24 ZL1

https://cws.gm.com/vs-cws/vehshop/v2...FJ1R60R0111531
split_bumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2024, 12:52 PM   #2
clg82

Drives: 2020 Camaro ZL1
I may be wrong, but according do your signature your car has the black lug nuts....am I correct?....if that's the case than yes the lid needs to be removed.....if you didn't have those, the install would be much easier....good luck!
Old 04-24-2024, 12:53 PM   #3
2023_ZL1-AUTO

Drives: 2023 ZL1 - Modified All Bolt On's
With many of the catch cans, those that are worth installing. It's not just the "Lid" that needs removed. But the entire supercharger needs lifted up so that you can replace the stock PCV diverter valve with one that doesn't have a port that blows oil up into the supercharge. My Catch Can starts are Post #50, but I had to re-do my can because I swapped out my valve covers for a set that didn't have baffles. I went with the MightyMouse, very straight forward for line runs and hook up.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showt...=611982&page=1
2023 ZL1 A10 - CSP 2" Long Tube Headers by Stainless Works | Gesi G-Sport High Flow CATs | Stainless Works Legend NPP Axle Back | Roto-Fab Big Gulp | Kong NM103mm | Kong X-Port/Polish w/Griptech 2.3" Upper | Granatelli Malevolent Coil Packs | Granatelli 0 Ohm Plug Wires | Katech Valve Covers w/Coil Relocation | FI Interchillers Blower Spacer Plates | Mighty Mouse Mild | JMS Flex Fuel Booster | DSX Flex Fuel Kit | DSX Billet Lid | DMS 2gal Fender Tank | NT555R2's 305/285 | AEM w/b AFR | Banks iDash Data Monster | HPTuners MPVi3 Module and Licenses (ECU & CCM) | Remote Tuned by Ted at JRE
2023_ZL1-AUTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2024, 01:21 PM   #4
split_bumper

Quote:
Originally Posted by clg82 View Post
I may be wrong, but according do your signature your car has the black lug nuts....am I correct?....if that's the case than yes the lid needs to be removed.....if you didn't have those, the install would be much easier....good luck!

You can't be serious. I guess I should have added I didn't get the upgraded muffler bearings so does that also mean I need to remove the lid?

Old 04-24-2024, 01:24 PM   #5
split_bumper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2023_ZL1-AUTO View Post
With many of the catch cans, those that are worth installing. It's not just the "Lid" that needs removed. But the entire supercharger needs lifted up so that you can replace the stock PCV diverter valve with one that doesn't have a port that blows oil up into the supercharge. My Catch Can starts are Post #50, but I had to re-do my can because I swapped out my valve covers for a set that didn't have baffles. I went with the MightyMouse, very straight forward for line runs and hook up.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showt...=611982&page=1

I did read your post. Thanks for the input. Looks like its a bigger job than I anticipated. Can it be done, yes, i'm not worried, but its just whether I want to tamper with that or not so soon. Thanks for the help.

Old 04-24-2024, 01:54 PM   #6
clg82

Quote:
Originally Posted by split_bumper View Post
You can't be serious. I guess I should have added I didn't get the upgraded muffler bearings so does that also mean I need to remove the lid?
Nah I wasn't being serious, this forum has been a bit of a ghost town so just trying to livin it up some.
Old 04-24-2024, 02:37 PM   #7
split_bumper

Quote:
Nah I wasn't being serious, this forum has been a bit of a ghost town so just trying to livin it up some.

I feel you on the ghost town. I did laugh when i read it

Old 04-24-2024, 06:16 PM   #8
Broooster

Drives: Sharkskin Metallic ZL1
I may be wrong but I thought I saw a YouTube video where a Corvette guy fabricated a way to install the catch can on his LT4 without messing with the supercharger. I think I saw it on here somewhere, maybe.
Broooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2024, 07:40 PM   #9
Z OH 6

Drives: 2021 Red Hot ZL1
Quote:
Z OH 6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2024, 08:03 PM   #10
CalgaryZL1

Drives: 2020 Chevy Camaro ZL1
On this supercharged engine, PCV valve is located under the blower on the driver side. so you have to remove the valve with a pass-through to create a non-check valve to prevent it going through the system and into the catch can first. If this sounds alien, please do not attempt this on your own. I’m guessing leaving your computer is not an option.
CalgaryZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2024, 06:13 AM   #11
clg82

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryZL1 View Post
On this supercharged engine, PCV valve is located under the blower on the driver side. so you have to remove the valve with a pass-through to create a non-check valve to prevent it going through the system and into the catch can first. If this sounds alien, please do not attempt this on your own. I’m guessing leaving your computer is not an option.
Weird off topic question (and I should probably know this) but is that location the same on a 2650? Or are they easier to install?
Old 04-25-2024, 06:55 AM   #12
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Weird off topic question (and I should probably know this) but is that location the same on a 2650? Or are they easier to install?
Samesies. I can reach mine easier with the PI plates installed, but I think you'd still have to either remove the snout or lift the blower to access the valve. The snout's a PITA because of a single bolt, but might be doable with the right wrenches. I think 2650 people might have it harder (if you can't remove the snout) because of having to drain the intercooler bricks in order to access the blower mounting bolts. I don't think you have to remove the ICs on the 1740... You might be able to get away with it because the bolts are outside of the plane of the IC bricks.

Either way - it's worth it.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2024, 07:27 AM   #13
clg82

Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
Samesies. I can reach mine easier with the PI plates installed, but I think you'd still have to either remove the snout or lift the blower to access the valve. The snout's a PITA because of a single bolt, but might be doable with the right wrenches. I think 2650 people might have it harder (if you can't remove the snout) because of having to drain the intercooler bricks in order to access the blower mounting bolts. I don't think you have to remove the ICs on the 1740... You might be able to get away with it because the bolts are outside of the plane of the IC bricks.

Either way - it's worth it.
Thanks for the clarification radz
Old 04-25-2024, 08:00 AM   #14
split_bumper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryZL1 View Post

If that "girl" driver on youtube can do it. I feel I can. haha. Are you guys using new super charger bolts and a seal. Or re using the old ones? Car is only 6months old. Some tutorials use new bolts and some don't. Thanks for all the help thus far.