Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Bigwormgraphix

Old 07-24-2023, 10:26 AM   #1
Open Circuit

Drives: ‘22 SS1LE M6
A10 for track ?

For SS1LE A10 drivers….anyone doing frequent open track lapping / DEs with the A10 have regrets for opting for the A10 ?

EDIT
RE-reading my post above, I need to clarify or expand on my question so here goes..

For SS1LE A10 users…how satisfied are you with the A10 from a performance and reliability standpoint while lapping ?
How good is proper gear selection while in auto mode ? Is it effective in selecting the right gear at the right time, or are you left waiting for the up / down shift ?
Do you normally lap in auto mode, or paddle shifting ?
How has reliability of A10 been ?
Any over heating at stock power levels ?

After tracking in various cars with manual transmissions for years, I tracked a couple of BMWs with their DCT transmissions for the past few years and became very comfortable with them. I know the A10 is no DCT but….close enough ? It would be perfect to hear from any folks who have tracked both the DCT and GMs A10. I guess the A10 adds about what…60 lbs over the manual ?
I suspect this question has been thrashed about here many times in the past so…my apologies for bringing it back up.
TIA

Last edited by Open Circuit; 07-24-2023 at 01:20 PM.
Open Circuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2023, 10:52 AM   #2
Osbornsm

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
I chose a Manual SS 1LE because it's more fun.
The A10 might be 0.2 faster on a track... but if all you want is times and no fun, buy AWD. lol

Just a thought :-)

Mods: Rotofab, Nick Williams 103mm TB, MSD IM, Kooks 1 7/8
Results: 470 hp / 447 tq
Osbornsm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2023, 11:57 AM   #3
5.M0NSTER

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Auto for ultimate track times or if you don’t want to learn how to heal-and-toe. Manual for most rewarding and engaging driving experience possible.
5.M0NSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2023, 07:31 PM   #4
mcbat8

Drives: 2022 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER View Post
Auto for ultimate track times or if you don’t want to learn how to heal-and-toe. Manual for most rewarding and engaging driving experience possible.
this car has auto rev match so you don't really need to learn heel-toe.
Old 07-24-2023, 10:34 PM   #5
5.M0NSTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbat8 View Post
this car has auto rev match so you don't really need to learn heel-toe.
Oh yeah, I never use mine, but good point. So there is no excuse then

Other than extracting the last few tenths I suppose.
Old 07-25-2023, 12:40 AM   #6
sr71bb

Drives: 2019 Camaro Z-28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Open Circuit View Post
For SS1LE A10 drivers….anyone doing frequent open track lapping / DEs with the A10 have regrets for opting for the A10 ?

EDIT
RE-reading my post above, I need to clarify or expand on my question so here goes..

For SS1LE A10 users…how satisfied are you with the A10 from a performance and reliability standpoint while lapping ?
How good is proper gear selection while in auto mode ? Is it effective in selecting the right gear at the right time, or are you left waiting for the up / down shift ?
Do you normally lap in auto mode, or paddle shifting ?
How has reliability of A10 been ?
Any over heating at stock power levels ?

After tracking in various cars with manual transmissions for years, I tracked a couple of BMWs with their DCT transmissions for the past few years and became very comfortable with them. I know the A10 is no DCT but….close enough ? It would be perfect to hear from any folks who have tracked both the DCT and GMs A10. I guess the A10 adds about what…60 lbs over the manual ?
I suspect this question has been thrashed about here many times in the past so…my apologies for bringing it back up.
TIA
\\

The A10 is absolutely PERFECT tranny for our cars for track purposes. In TRACK mode the down shifting and upshifting points are handled pretty much flawlessly by the tranny itself automatically . It is foolish to think you can better this by either paddle shifting the car or by trying to keep up with it in a manual. For road racing purposes the A10 is ALOT faster than .2 a lap I can assure you. I have had BOTH a manual and have tried to paddle shift the A10 as well and you cant touch this A10 in AUTOMATIC mode. I have my most fun by going faster around the track so I dont miss the clutch AT ALL. Tranny temps typically are in the MAX range of 220 degrees. In absolutely STOCK form the A10 ca handle 1000+ HP cars in a drag racing venue .
https://youtu.be/c9M5UHDftcA
4-15-23 at SCCA TT U1 Class

MEGA Thread on THIS car:
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=602092

Retired Cars BELOW:
1973 Camaro, 1969 Camaro, 1969 Camaro SS RS
2010 Camaro SS with 1000HP F1R, 2019 ZL1 1LE A10
sr71bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2023, 11:48 AM   #7
cre8fun

Drives: audi R8; ss 1le; F250
My understanding from talking with A10 drivers at the track. yup it's heavier but it's also a good bit faster. why is it faster, when compared to the stick, the A10 has 6 gears that span the range when compared to the manual going from 2-5. said another way, I use 2nd through 5th in my stick on track and when you look at the ratios of the A10, it has 6 gears across that range rather than my 4. so you're in the power band more of the time with the A10. Also, no lag while shifting compared to when I clutch.

The A10 drivers did also say they had to watch their temps. I can't remember if the trans cooling is tied to diff or engine, but my understanding was that the trans heat was causing temps to be watched elsewhere.
cre8fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2023, 01:05 PM   #8
MT-SS1LE

Drives: 2023 SS 1LE Sharkskin
I wanted and looked hard for a manual 1LE and could not find one in my region. So I "settled" for an A10 that was otherwise exactly what I wanted. I have been extremely impressed with the transmission. There is no way I, or 98% of drivers are going to shift faster in a manual. There are numerous videos of A10 Camaros being tracked and the tranny shifts are super fast, and precise, like this one:

MT-SS1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2023, 01:12 PM   #9
5.M0NSTER

Does anyone have data quantifying how much quicker A10 is on the same circuit? I am curious how much this is. 1s on a 1:30 lap? More? Less?
Old 07-31-2023, 01:42 PM   #10
GunMetalGrey

Drives: Track prepped 2018 Camaro ZL1 (a10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sr71bb View Post
The A10 is absolutely PERFECT tranny for our cars for track purposes. In TRACK mode the down shifting and upshifting points are handled pretty much flawlessly by the tranny itself automatically . It is foolish to think you can better this by either paddle shifting the car or by trying to keep up with it in a manual. For road racing purposes the A10 is ALOT faster than .2 a lap I can assure you. I have had BOTH a manual and have tried to paddle shift the A10 as well and you cant touch this A10 in AUTOMATIC mode. I have my most fun by going faster around the track so I dont miss the clutch AT ALL. T
Exactly, only professional drivers would only be 2 tenths slower in a manual, for drivers like us it will make a much larger difference mostly because it takes attention and focus away from optimal corner enter and exits which will of course impact our speed around the entire track.

Also if your track is a super easy "horse power" track, I guess I could see wanting a manual for more engagement, but if the track is more difficult and you still say you want a manual for more engagement, then either you are going to slow and not pushing hard enough or you are a really good driver
Old 07-31-2023, 02:11 PM   #11
cdrptrks

Drives: 2017 Blue Camaro 1SS 1LE with PDR
The car in front of me in this video (staring around 1:50) at Daytona is my buddy in his rapid blue 2022 SS 1LE 10 speed automatic and I am driving my 2017 SS 1LE 6 speed manual both with stock engine. The best comparison is when he is following the orange Mustang so we both have a slipstream and the acceleration is surprisingly very similar. Later in the video you can see he accelerates faster than me at lower speed entering Nascar 1 after the infield section.

It is going to be hard to get a true lap time comparison unless the same person drove both cars back to back in the same weather conditions with no traffic.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=pkAmeq6Vq38&t=1m50s
cdrptrks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2023, 02:20 PM   #12
cdrptrks

Drives: 2017 Blue Camaro 1SS 1LE with PDR
I also have a friend who is a member at MSR Cresson in the Dallas area who owns two SS 1LEs, one M6 and one A10. He estimates that the A10 is at least 1 second per lap faster on the 1.7 mile track layout.
cdrptrks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2023, 06:00 PM   #13
ShockingZ
Account Suspended

Drives: Chevy Camaro ZL1
For anything other than autocross or road course, I'd get the a10. If you are going to be a hard road course guy and will never make it to a drag strip, 100% get the manual. An SS 1LE with the manual is a sick and fun car on a road course. I had a 2017 SS1LE manual obv, and it was an absolute blast. Then on the one time I took it to a drag strip rental, it was a total downer. 12.7-12.9 fighting the manual to try and launch and no lift shift. But thats really not what that car is for.
ShockingZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2023, 02:54 PM   #14
BMoneyMan

Drives: 2022 1SS 1LE
I talked to a lot of track rats and did a lot of soul searching about giving up the manual transmission before finally caving and buying the A10.

Have you heard a Porsche with the PDK transmission and the fantastic shift speeds? It's an amazing sound. The Camaro A10 is close in performance to that.
BMoneyMan is offline   Reply With Quote